February 26, 2009

Lenten Resolutions

Usually, I have a massive list of Lenten Intentions. This year, only four.

1) Follow the prescribed fast and abstinence requirements of our church-abstinence from meat on Fridays during Lent and fast and abstinence on Good Friday

2) Almsgiving

3) I've discerned that food is becoming too much of an indulgence/obsession/crutch for me and that my obsession with it is interfering with my Life in Christ. I spend more time pondering my next rich meal than meditating on God. I'm going to strive to follow the Pope Gregory the Great era Lenten diet "We abstain from flesh meat, and from all things that come from flesh, as milk, cheese, and eggs." Monday-Friday during Lent (For those of you concerned about my nutritional intake, I do take a women's multi-vitamin and calcium supplements each day)

4) Spend one solid hour each day of Lent in prayer. This could be Adoration, Mass, praying the Rosary, reading from Scripture, spiritual readings, quiet meditation, prayer before an abortion clinic, or any combination of the above to make the hour. I probably pray enough during a day that the total time is one hour but this will be a solid hour in addition to any smaller periods of prayer throughout the day (like my regular Rosary or DM Chapet in the car on the way to or from work)

5 Comments:

Blogger Joe of St. Thérèse said...

Sounds simple enough :)

I decided no meat Weds and Fri. (I don't think I'm ready for such a Radical Lent yet), maybe next year 3, the year after 4, then all 5 days.

February 26, 2009 8:48 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

You very holy lady. Please pray for me. Thanks.

February 26, 2009 10:39 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: I always pray for you because I KNOW you always pray for me.

February 26, 2009 1:44 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Last year I had a very ambitious plan for Lent. It got severely interuppted by my daughters having an accident with a servious brain injurty during the March snowStorm of '08.

This year I have a much less ambitious plan: I won't read novels or treat myself to new books, and will make a good faith attempt to go to daily mass on tues, weds and fri of each week.

February 26, 2009 3:22 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Good grief, Redneck! I pray your daughter is ok now. I think at times like that the Lord is very close to you. It's all about survival during those times. I've been there.

February 27, 2009 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page