February 05, 2009

Ignore What's his Face

I heard a story once that St. Teresa of Avila, Carmelite and Doctor of the Church, woke up one night to see Satan standing by her bed. She said “Oh, you” and turned over and fell asleep.

You can imagine Satan would not be too happy with this reception but what can he do? He was ignored. End of story. He’s outta here. See ya!

Last night I posted a brief post. Well, a whine, really. Honestly, I don’t know what the point was except to make everyone feel sorry for me.

In any case, Adoro called me on it right away. Satan is only powerful when we let him be. She also said “Get over it!”

Leave it to a buddy to hit you over the head! I admit I was irked that she did not want to attend my pity party, took the post down in a childish fit, and then I reflected upon it and realized she was right. (Of course, I will retaliate later and break into her home, chill with my canine buddy, drink all her wine, watch her TV, and enjoy her blazing fast Internet!).

Doesn’t Jesus basically tell Satan to “Hit the road”? Satan leaves in silence. He’s not stomping his foot and yelling. *poof* he’s gone. Not that he’s not, perhaps, embarking upon his alternate plan, but any and all of his plans have to involve the cooperation of someone else. If everyone ignored him and didn’t listen to him, the world would be a better place and we’d all be better people.

We all have Crosses to carry. I always admit, I am not the most graceful cross-bearer who ever lived; that would be Jesus and even He had help. I get even more help than He did carrying the cross and still I complain. He got up 3 times and I’m yelling “Help, I’ve fallen and I can’t get up!” from the floor after I’m knocked down the first time.

I’m not sure I would have said “Get over it!”, rather: “Get up!!!!” Yes. Get up, pick up your dragging a—, and your crosses, and follow Him.

15 Comments:

Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

I hear ya girlfriend...one of my biggest faults is the perverbial "not carrying my cross with patience" deals. I confess this almost every time I go! Its the worst at night, when tired and gets very bad after a glass of wine, then comes whining! :) Ok but seriously - we are human and you're really ok as long as you don't cave and stop trying and praying. Usually the best remedy for pity parties is a good night's sleep.

February 05, 2009 4:06 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

OK, I have no idea what you said or what I said in response. I don't remember. But...glad it worked!

February 05, 2009 4:10 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

True, SB!

Adoro: LOL! Profundity without even knowing it! I LOVE that!

February 05, 2009 5:10 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Well, as long as you realize I wasn't TRYING to call you out on the carpet! You know me...I just say what I think at any given time.

(I get in trouble for that a lot...) * blush *

Glad it worked out this time!

February 05, 2009 6:42 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Oh, by the way, if you're going to break into my house, let my roomie know in advance so she doesn't freak out (she's been through a lot in her life...) and make sure you take the dog for a walk. She has cabin fever. Just bring her back! If and when it comes time to give her up, I'll let you know, but until then, she's MINE! (I need my fuzzy buddy in order to stay sane!)

February 05, 2009 6:45 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Oh, um, it's the dog that has cabin fever and needs to go for a walk, not my roommate. Just to be clear.

February 05, 2009 6:46 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I LOVE that story of St. Teresa of Avila! Lovely:0) She knew who was important and who was not (that's why she's a saint).

February 05, 2009 7:56 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

If anyone can follow what Adoro just said, drop me an email: cathyofalex@gmail.com!

LOL!

Tom: True. Nice to still see Little Critter in your avatar. Such a cutie.

February 05, 2009 9:05 PM  
Blogger LarryD said...

"If everyone ignored him and didn’t listen to him, the world would be a better place and we’d all be better people."

How true! Unfortunately, many people have stopped believing that he even exists, and thus have fallen for his nasty lies and tempting whispers without even realizing it.

February 06, 2009 9:06 AM  
Blogger Mairin :o) said...

I'm trying, I'm trying.

February 06, 2009 12:50 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

LarryD: True.

Mairin: I know. I'm trying also. I'll be at Mass and Vigil tonight. I'll pray for you.

February 06, 2009 4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

St. Thomas More once said, "The devil, that proud spirit, cannot endure to be mocked." And leave it to Madre Teresa to put Old Nick in his place! That's why I love her so much... she's feisty as only a nun can be!

February 06, 2009 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On crosses, I am attached to this passage from Solange Hertz:

“I am become a laughing-stock all the day, all scoff at me,” foretells Jeremias, not only of the Son of God, but of anyone who follows Him. The Christian has to get used to being laughed at, because he’s bound to look ridiculous. This comes of carrying a cross.
Actually, a cross is never carried. Our Lord never commanded us to carry it because that’s impossible, and God doesn’t command the impossible. If He appears to have said this---as He does sometimes in St. Luke (14:27)---it’s because a translator chose to adopt the secondary meaning of bastazei, a verb which means primarily “to lift up” or “to raise.” Our Lord himself endured the Way of the Cross to prove to us that even He in His human weakness couldn’t carry His cross any more than we can ours.
What our Lord told us was, “Take it up.” Once taken up, a cross is yanked, pulled, kicked, dragged, heaved, pushed or toted uphill. (If you’re carrying a cross, put it down. It’s not yours; you’ve picked up somebody else’s.) Eventually, like our Lord, you will have to submit to the humiliation of admitting it’s too much for you and you’ll have to accept help. Even so, you trip over it. You drop it---usually on your own foot---and often fall under it in sight of everybody. At the last, somebody else sets it up for you, nails you to it, and you die on it---slowly---stark naked as Adam. This is living the spiritual life, and the world will always laugh at it. Although transfiguringly beautiful from “up there,” down here it’s very undignified.

February 06, 2009 8:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Anon(s?), for your insight!

February 07, 2009 10:21 AM  
Blogger 中島美嘉mika said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

January 27, 2010 9:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page