February 15, 2009

Got Patience?

Gentle Reader: Hey, speaking of patience, thanks for your patience during my absence(S). I've had a really tough couple of weeks. A friend died suddenly. A relative died and now I've got two relatives in rehab (it was either that or jail). I've been putting in LONG hours at work. I'm involved in some parish activities and those have needed some planning. Plus, trying to make sure I don't forget about my prayer life by making an effort to fit it in.... writing more letters to the Catholic Spirit (You did not think I'd let that commentary about hunting not being an appropriate topic for the Catholic paper pass by, did you? Heh. That's me. Janice LaDuke)

Just another month in the life, ya know?

It all takes patience.

Patience so I don't get cranky. Patience so I just let it go into His hands.

I'm continually challenged by my LACK of patience. I've been called on this many times-usually by my Confessor. He's right.

So, yesterday, here I was taking a page from the Adoro Manual of Home Maintenance (coming to a store near you!)and finally getting around to replacing the gnarly, first toilet seat in the North End (LOL!), on my commode. I purchased the replacement seat a few MONTHS ago but never seemed to have time to put it on. Well, I had already cursed for an hour over the EASY (ha!) assembly of my new vacuum cleaner and did my usual start something and leave it because it was making me cranky so I look around for more stuff guaranteed to make me even crankier (sometimes it a good thing that I live alone. A very good thing) and I decided "Oh, it will not take long so I'll slap that new toilet seat on!"

Yeah, right. Remember this is the first toilet seat in South Como so it's probably 50 years old and the bolts looked like it. They were already almost totally stripped on one side and both sides were really rusted. Here I am hunkered down between the bowl and one of my cats' litter boxes (Yes, it smelled lovely. Thanks for asking. But, when I'm cranky even moving something easy like a litter box out of my way is too much to ask). On the other side I had my big head squeezed between the bowl and the wall. It occurred to me to wonder if I got stuck in that position than what? I did a conscience check and I was fairly confident that I would not go to the Old Place but I'd have to do some more time in Purgatory for excessive profanity.

After trying to yank the entire toilet out of the wall in frustration (how, exactly, this would have solved any problems and not created more, don't ask me), I stomped out of the bathroom and decided I'd ask my Dad to replace the seat when he comes down in a few weeks.

I went into my bedroom (still containing the parts of the "easy" assemble vacuum) and sat there glaring at the vacuum. I turned around and studied the crucifix over my bed and I prayed for patience. I also had no desire to ask my Dad to do something so easy. You can take the woman out of feminism but you can't always take the feminism out of the woman. I hate asking men (There. I said it) for simple home repair that I should, as a responsible and fairly intelligent homeowner, be able to do myself. "Angel, help me"

I went back into the bathroom and tackled those bolts again. One broke right off-it was so rusted-but it did allow me to get that side of the seat off. With patience, I figured out that in my crabbiness I was probably TIGHTENING the durn screw rather than loosening it. I managed to get the old seat off. Putting the new seat on-no problemo. Yeah! I took the opportunity to meditate upon the new seat. I do some of my best thinking there. Garbage out, garbage in.

Feeling confident enough to tackle even the "easy" assemble vacuum, I decide to try it. Earlier in a fit, I'd decided to "punish" the vacuum by throwing it (and the "easy" assemble parts) back in my closet. "Here, this will show you! I will not use you today! Ha! How do you like that!?" I'm so ashamed. I'm sure I hurt it's poor feelings.

I decided whoever the Technical Writer of this instruction sheet was for Bissell they did a horrible job. You know it's bad when I pondered trying to read the directions in Spanish rather than English because maybe the Spanish was clearer. Nope. The photos were actually slightly more helpful. I managed. I did it and I used it. I was very happy. I'm really hard on vacuums, even without hurting it's ego and all that, because I have to vacuum often and I have pet hair to vacuum up. New vac worked very well and I apologized to it and now there is peace in my home.

I absolutely DETEST assembling stuff. It doesn't matter how "easy" it is. I get cranky. I know. I know. I have nightmares about a punishment in Hell involving having to assemble a bunch of Ikea shelving for all eternity. That thought alone should be enough to keep me a close friend of the Sacrament of Confession for the rest of my life.

Pray for patience. Often. It's good for you.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

One of the great things about reading other peoples' blogs is that you REALLY get to know them.

Enough said!

February 15, 2009 1:45 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I'm a "punisher" too. Just ask my coffee table with the broken leg LOL!

As for asking God for patience - I see He is giving you plenty of opportunity to learn that skill LOL!

For me Hell would be waiting in line forever - I have NOOOOO patience for that!

(Heh...the verification word is "cusse" LOL!)

February 15, 2009 3:13 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Hi Angela! Hell for you would be stuck in the 10 items or less line behind 20 people with 50 items or more.

Ray: I know. Scary isn't it? LOL!

February 15, 2009 7:27 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Brings back memories of the first time I tried to change the toilet seat (and I'm very mechanical.) Buuuuut - I didn't realize there was a bolt underneath so I twisted and twisted and twisted till the sweat was running down my face and I was ready to cry.

And then the the "light bulb moment" when I reached underneath and discovered the missing link.

February 15, 2009 7:54 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Cath, you are the champ-i-on of da toilet (say it "twah-lay") repair!!Teehee.

I was always told to be careful about praying for patience. God will send plenty of opportunities for you to practice it! (and you know, practice makes perfect)

February 15, 2009 9:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adrienne: I know! Maybe we both need more bacon?

Gette: LOL!

February 16, 2009 6:30 AM  
Blogger Adoro said...

ROFL! You should have called Fr. Schnippel, he would have helped you!

Remember the moral of my post...if you need help, call a priest! Even with home maintenance! (I learned that last July)

Seriously, sorry, feel your pain, I still need to have my friend Rob come over with his drill to rehang my drapes. I want to time it so I can spackle the holes and let the spackle dry properly, which means this has to be done in the daytime.

Go have some bacon. Its not lent yet.

February 16, 2009 2:52 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Cathy--

You got family in rehab. I got family in jail.

Let's make a deal: I'll swap you a Hail Holy Queen, for a Hail Holy Queen, even steven!

February 16, 2009 4:20 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Redneck: I'll pray for you and your family.

Adoro: Yes, I'm draining my bacon stockpile before Lent!

February 16, 2009 6:34 PM  
Blogger Georgette said...

Cathy, I forgot to tell you I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It is hard to lose someone you're close to, even harder when it is totally out of the blue. May he/she rest in peace. And may Our Lord console you and all your friend's family in this time of mourning.

February 18, 2009 11:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks Gette!

February 24, 2009 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page