January 02, 2009

St. Hildegard of Bingen: Patron Saint for 2009



I took Angela up on her, kind and generous, offer to pick a 2009 Patron Saint for me. For me, the intent is, not to replace, St. Catherine of Alexandria, or any other Saint for that matter, but to take an opportunity to learn more about a Saint, to specifically ask for their prayers and intercession in 2009.

Angela assigned me: St. Hildegard (Hildegaard) of Bingen!!!

I approached the 2009 Patron Saint process, as I apprach many things, as an opportunity to pick something I could learn more about. In this case, I could learn more about a specific Saint and take an opportunity to enhance my spiritual life.

Well, both Angela and I thought St. Hidegard was really appropriate for me! I think we both squeled! It so happens I'm already a fan of St. Hildegard! I've lightly studied her before. I considered her as Confirmation Saint but went with St. Catherine of Alexandria instead.

In an astounding coincidence, I was at Leaflet Missal over a month ago and I was looking for some Advent reading. It occured to me I should see if they had anything by St. Hildegard in-stock. I found the LAST copy on the shelf of her Scivias. I bought it and I'm looking forward to reading it.

St. Hildegard's Feast Day is September 17th.

Look for more from me on St. Hildegard in 2009.

Thanks Angela!

In the meantime, here's a taste of Saint Hildegard's writings. It very much sounds like it should be a "mission statement" for my blog.

‘O weak mortal, both ash of ash and rottenness of rottenness, say and write what you see and hear. But because you are fearful in speaking and simple in explaining and unlearned in writing these things, say and write them not according to human speech nor the understanding of human creativity nor according to the will of human composition, but according to this rule: that you reveal by interpreting the things you see and hear among heavenly matters from above, in the wonders of God, just as also a hearer receiving his teacher’s words makes them known according to the tenor of his speech, as he wishes, shows, and teaches. So then you also, o mortal — speak the things you see and hear; and write them not according to yourself or any other person, but according to the will of the One Who knows, sees, and disposes all things in the hidden places of his mysteries.’

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love her writings - she was so ahead of her time.

But what about her music? Her music, Cath! You didn't even mention it! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

-Cathy

January 02, 2009 9:20 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Cathy: I vaguely recall hearing she composed music.

January 02, 2009 10:51 AM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

It never ceases to amaze me how the saints pick us!

And I have to say your "handle" of Cathy of Alex is a bit easier to type than "Hildi of Bingen." LOL!

January 02, 2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: True. LOL!

January 02, 2009 2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cath,
Yeah, she composed a few ditties.
;)

Caritas abundat in omnia,
de imis excellentissima
super sidera,

atque amantissima in omnia,
quia summo Regi
osculum pacis dedit.


Abundant love for all
From the lowest
To the one greater than the constellations.

And loving all
She gives the highest King
the kiss of peace.

They don't write 'em like that anymore...
(Shoot me an e-mail if you want - I can burn some Hildi cds for ya.)
:)


-C

January 02, 2009 6:07 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

C: I wonder if Anonymous 4 or Chanticleeer have ever covered St. Hildegaard's work?

January 02, 2009 7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have two Anonymous 4's of Hildegard.
Not sure about Chanticleer...

C

January 02, 2009 8:01 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Happy New Year!
Nice pick on St. Hildegard (Hildegaard) of Bingen. A few years ago there was a lady at the local homeschool conference who had written a book on St. Hildegard. She offered a workshop on how to incorporate St. Hildegard into your homeschool curriculum. Went to the workshop and the lady was all jazzed to have this very small group of us sing...except I don't really sing, so the silence when asked to sing by most of the room was very awkward. Too had, would've liked to have learned more about the saint - many of us left because the entire talk got bogged down in the (silent!) singing.

January 03, 2009 2:29 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Cathy: Thanks, I'll look it up! Thanks for your kind offer to burn music for me but that's too much to ask. Much appreciated.

Swissy: Happy New Year! What did she expect? Catholics can't sing! LOL!

January 03, 2009 7:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cath,

Well just let me know. It's no trouble a'tall.

There are many, many new agey recordings of Hildegard's works, too.
And boy, howdy, they suuuuuuuck.

Anonymous 4 is so awesome!
I didn't know you liked them, too.

-C

January 03, 2009 8:59 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Women.

January 03, 2009 12:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

C: Oh, yes, I'm a huge Anonymous 4 fan!

Ter: *meow*

January 03, 2009 1:05 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page