January 05, 2009

Catholics of the Year 2008

All the Catholics in the blogosphere, in the USCCB, and in Chancery's around the United States who Publicly, and in Writing, Corrected Speaker Pelosi's Misguided Views that Earned her the Dissident Catholic Award for 2008

For the first time, I think I really saw the true power of the Catholic blogosphere. Mainstream media may have yawned over the furor created by Speaker Pelosi's remarks (also remember Senator Biden followed her a few days later but I'll wait, he may earn an award next year), but for a period of several weeks the blogosphere howled loudly, and in a unified voice, that what Speaker Pelosi said was horribly inaccurate. Not only did bloggers SAY what was inaccurate, in true scholarly fashion, they pulled out citations to prove it.

I truly believe that the groundswell of blogger opposition, that they carried with them to their parishes and their chanceries, propelled many Bishops (I lost count at 30) to compose letters and columns for their Archdiocesan newspapers, parish bulletins, local newspapers, letters to their faithful, homilies, explaining to their flock why what she said was not justifiable and here was why and here's what the Church's position on when life begins really is.

I can't remember, in my life, when I saw so many Bishops uniting for life. Sad, in some ways, but hopeful in so many others.

This was an occasion of great joy and pride for me to see. However, we can't be smug about it all can we? A pro-abort still won the election to the Presidency.

I pray that this activist momentum will continue. We will need it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

"I can't remember, in my life, when I saw so many Bishops uniting for life."

I absolutely agree. I can't think of another occasion in which these guys rallied so quickly.

January 05, 2009 10:10 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I can... ;)

January 05, 2009 10:16 PM  
Blogger Joe of St. Thérèse said...

I pray that the Bishops' speak up more...we need it.

January 07, 2009 2:09 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Sad thing is I think Biden will have a run for his dissident money with so many other seriously misguided politicians like Schwartzenegger, the entire Kennedy clan, Daschle, etc. Glad the bishops started to make their voice heard.

January 07, 2009 3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page