December 02, 2008

We Four Trads



Gentle Reader: You are not seeing things, this photo has been modified from the original in order to satisfy the discomforted. I feel like singing!

You will get a sentimental feeling when you hear
Voices singing "let's be jolly!"
Deck the halls with boughs of holly!
Ho-Ho-AND-Ho!


[Photo from left to right] Chris, Adoro, Me and my Dad at the entrance to Mary's Chapel in the Church of St. Agnes, St. Paul, Minnesota on November 30th, 2008. We were there to mark the return, after nearly 40 years, of a public Mass (I know some priests have used the '62 Missal at St. Agnes for private Masses inside of those 40 years) following the 1962 Missal.

Friends, you know what a stickler I am for appropriate dress at Holy Mass and I have to say this crew looks pretty well turned out.

Ray was there too but we did not hook up with him until after Mass when we met downstairs for coffee. I meant to take his photo along with longtime family friend, DJC and his wife C, but I have to admit that when I get a chocolate donut with lemon filling in front of my face all coherent thought flees my brain.

Chris has superb photos of the Mass. Adoro and Ray have posts up about their experience and impressions.

I did not take any photos during the Mass itself. If I had taken photos during the Mass, the Altar Boys would've missed all their cues having gone blind by my flash!

I don't know if I will post more about the event or not. The 1962 Mass is not new to me. I attend the EF at Holy Trinity/St. Augustine fairly regularly. But, every Mass is "new",or should I say "REnewed" in a way isn't it?

The larger issue is: I'm tired and it's been a LONG day. Maybe more later....

18 Comments:

Blogger Adoro said...

Wow. Could there be a WORSE photo of me ANYWHERE?

I've said it before and I'll say it again..I am NOT photogenic and there's a reason I don't use photos of myself on my own blog. And tend to avoid using photos of others for the same reason, unless they've been used elsewhere before.

If you have any way of blocking me out of that photo...DO IT. And no, I"m not kidding.

December 02, 2008 10:25 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

It's such a treat to see you traddie ladies, oh and Dad too. Don't you dare block anyone out - we paid good money to see this.

December 02, 2008 10:31 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I like this... I really do. Great to meet your dad. I like seeing you ladies all together... yeah, I really do. It looks like you all wore... yeah, I guess you did.

December 02, 2008 10:34 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Don't get me wrong, you all look really good.

December 02, 2008 10:39 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

SWEEEEEEEET!!!!

Can you hear me squealing from the Great White North?! Too too cute!!!

December 02, 2008 10:46 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

What a wonderful photo! Your dad looks really sharp. Other than St. Agnes and St. Augustine's, one doesn't see too many ties on men. I think I may have to resume that practice.

I wasn't that late? Maybe 9:35. What time did you folks get there? Did you snag an usher to take it?

I note a goodly number of St. Joseph Daily Missals in hand there. And I was glad to see none of you ladies had to resort to kleenex or doilies and bobby pins to cover your hair.

December 03, 2008 6:15 AM  
Blogger Argent said...

Aw, how did your dad like the Mass? And I love your mantillas!

December 03, 2008 8:01 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

Isn't your Dad the handsome gent!

Bede

December 03, 2008 8:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's a lovely picture. You all are just beaming! It's so nice to see a group like that.
:)
-Cathy

December 03, 2008 9:38 AM  
Anonymous L. said...

You all look maahhhvelous! Wish I could have joined you-maybe another time.
God bless!

December 03, 2008 9:41 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: We were there around 9:25. Adoro and I waited for you until 9:35 in the vestibule and then we went in and joined my Dad who was already inside.

Thanks, Bede!

Argent: It took my Dad back in a way but he was lost for much of it. I offered him my Missal but he refused. It has just been so long since he's seen the "old" Mass.

December 03, 2008 6:01 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I knew there was something different about Adoro! LOL! I love it.

December 03, 2008 6:35 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I was going to try to stick around, but like I said, they couldn't get the audio of the Archbishop's homily to work at the 8:30am Mass, so we didn't have one and got out early. Will have to try again to meet up with everyone, although I might have to wear Kleenex on my head since I don't have a mantilla. Yes, I've belonged to St. Agnes since the 80s and don't own one :)

You all look pretty sharp and your dad looks quite handsome. Did Ray take the pic?

December 04, 2008 8:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Swissie,

I've ordered from www.modestyveils.com more than once - she's a very sweet gal and gets your order out in no time.

I bought two hats the other day. We'll see if Mary will let those stay on my head...

-C

December 04, 2008 9:16 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Thanks, Cathy. When I belonged to a Byzantine Catholic parish, they had baskets of them in the entry hall. I live fairly close to three Catholic supply/book stores, so could just buy one. Will check out the site you mentioned. At least my kids are old enough that they wouldn't pull them off my head, but my daughter would want one if I had one...and my son might even want one if we had them. As long as hubby doesn't want one...

December 04, 2008 2:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha! Well I think little boys in hats are just DARLING, for the record - a nice little hat might make him feel included!
:)
Signed,
Cathy, AKA
C.T.B.B.H.B.T.J.L.S.N.A.O.S.
(Committee To Bring Back Hats Because They Just Look So Nice And Old School)

December 04, 2008 3:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Cathy (Ma?): I've purchased mine online from Halo Works. They are in California-I know can you believe it? LOL!. Leaflet Missal's showroom (and catalog) has a couple of basic mantillas in stock.

December 05, 2008 6:10 AM  
Blogger Warren said...

Well Adoro, you look VERY JOLLY!

Warren

December 09, 2008 8:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page