December 26, 2008

Send Father Tegeder a Card!!!!

Ray sent me this post Tuesday. The post contains a link to a StarTribune commentary by Father Michael Tegeder, Pastor of St. Edward's in Bloomington, MN.

Initially, I was really angry and composed a quite inflammatory post draft as a response. I decided my anger was totally misplaced in this Season of Hope. Not hope for Mr. Obama, Hope for the coming Lord and Savior.

I've taken a new tack. I've decided to call for a postcard campaign to Father Tegeder reminding Father, in charity, why I think his commentary is entirely misplaced.

If it's true, as Father claims, that FOCA has little to no reason of actually passing, does that mean we should just sit around and do nothing? What if it does pass, can we, as pro-life Christians, live with ourselves knowing that we not only did NOT do what we could, we did absolutely nothing? I know I can't. I won't. I'm not going to just sit back and be quiet under the excuse of "unity" and deny my entire Faith because I should me making nice with everyone and not, possibly, casting a sad cloud over the impending Inaugeration by daring to remind my incoming President, and elected officials, of a critical issue.

FOCA is a possible bill that all of us, yes, YOU, my non-Catholic brothers and sisters, should all be working against. Yes, YOU, my non-United States brothers and sisters, please join us in prayer and fight in your own countries because FOCA, or a like minded bill, could be coming to your country soon. The United Nations is not, exactly, a fan of life and neither are many regimes around the world.

Even without the looming specter of FOCA the pro-life battle goes on. January 22nd is fast approaching-the sad 36th anniversary of Roe v Wade-which remains law in the United States.

Note also how Father mentions "reducing abortions" NOT stopping them entirely. It sounds like Father is reading straight out of the "Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good" playbook-an organization that has made inroads in some parishes in town.

Reducing abortions is not an acceptable goal. Stopping abortion entirely is. Education is a large part of the effort. Father may need some help understanding this.

Please join me in writing a card or a letter to:

Father Michael Tegeder
Church of St. Edward
9401 Nesbitt Ave S
Bloomington MN 55437
United States of America

When I say: BE CHARITABLE, I MEAN IT! If I hear of anyone writing something ugly or inflammatory or making a personal attack on Father I will block you from this blog and my Facebook page. I will also deny I know you and refuse to have anything to do with you hereafter. You may not care that I just said I'd cut you out of my life (and trust me, I've cut people out before and I'm not afraid to do it again), but I want it made perfectly clear that I am not condoning or calling for meanness or cruelty against or towards Father or his parish. Father Tegeder is a priest and should be respected as such.

However, we are entirely justified in charitably correcting a member of The Body when they are in error and that is what I want us to do.

Here is my letter, as an example, so you get the idea what I'm going for and you can also see that I'm serious (Of course you will not know for sure that I mailed it but, most of you know I'm pretty active. If I say it I mean it and I'll do it. I'm mailing it right now.):

Father Tegeder:

It is with sadness that I read your recent commentary in the December 22nd StarTribune. At a time when we celebrate the birth of a Child, Our Lord and Savior, I think your attempt to mitigate the seriousness of the Freedom of Choice Act (FOCA) is sadly misplaced.

January 22nd looms large, a date that commemorates the legal murder of a child in the womb. Did anyone think in 1973 that Roe would really happen or realize the full enormity and horror of it until it was too late?

We cannot, under the excuse of Christian unity, deny the fight for life as it is attacked on all fronts. We, as Catholics, are called to stand and fight for life.

I applaud our Bishops, my Shepherds and yours, for their efforts on behalf of life. I intend to fully support that effort any way I can-in words and in action. I pray that you will do the same.

13 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

Hooray! Well done, Cathy, perhaps even adding a specific "spiritual bouquet" such as a DC or one decade?

December 26, 2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Very well stated Cath - I will send one too - you have presented a good example to follow.

December 26, 2008 3:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: Superb idea. I'll add Father to my Rosary and DM intentions.

Yeah, Ter!

December 26, 2008 7:09 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Cathy:
Bless you! When I read the article Ray sent, I thought that we all should send Father Tegeder post cards too (great minds?!!). Since we are in the 12 Days of Christmas, too bad there aren't any post cards handy with a beautiful picture of the Christ Child to send.

December 27, 2008 7:41 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Swissy: Yes, great minds! :-)

December 27, 2008 12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
I came to your blog by way of TeamSarah. Great blog! I like your idea of a postcard to Fr.T. Thanks for providing a sample. If you don't mind I will use your text and add "A version of FOCA was passed nearly 2000 years ago at the Masacre of the Innocents. Children died then, and still die because men threatened by the power God try to quiet the work of the Holy Spirit. There is no greater terrorism than abortion, snuffing the life of the innocent is an evil which all followers of Christ are called to prevent throught legitmate means, including postcard drives, and through prayer."
What do you think?
I think I will also email his bishop, and send a letter to the Vatican, why not?

December 28, 2008 4:09 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anon: No problem. Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure the Archbishop is already aware of what Father Tegeder wrote but that's not a bad idea to write His Excellency. Charity!! Always, charity, don't be cranky!

December 29, 2008 8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
I came upon this blog googling information on MN Catholics and abortion.
From a Christian perspective,I am quite saddened by your statement. "You may not care that I just said I'd cut you out of my life (and trust me, I've cut people out before and I'm not afraid to do it again!" How unChristlike, and unCatholic and ungraceful this seems.
You go on to state, "Reducing abortions is not an acceptable goal. Stopping abortion entirely is. Education is a large part of the effort. Father may need some help understanding this."
I have no idea who you are or what YOU have done to give women a concrete solution to their unwanted pregnancy other than abortion. From your stance, I am summizing you surely have: manned phone banks on a unwanted pregnancy hotline, volunteered to find suitable parents for adoption, financially and emotionally helped a single mother "have" her baby, etc.
When you say no abortion, what alternative are proposing to women? What, personally, are you willing to do (to help those who have a unwanted pregnancy) if you propose to stop all abortions?
"Father may need some help understanding this." What, understanding your opinion?

February 22, 2009 5:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon: I can tell you did not read my post very closely, nor do you read my blog regularly having just strolled over here after a Google search. That said: Welcome!

When I referred to cutting people out of my life I meant those who would not be charitable towards Father Tegeder. There are times when one is perfectly justified in removing people from their lives if those people cause you to sin or are bad influences. I warned everyone and I meant it. I'm happy to report that I've not heard of anyone being uncharitable towards Father.

Father Tegeder needs help understanding that as a Roman Catholic priest is he obligated to follow, and promote the Roman Catholic Church's consitant ethic of life. The Church does not allow abortion under any circumstances and he is obliged to teach that. To do any less than his office is a serious failing and a scandal since it gives the Catholic faithful the impression they can dissent from Church teaching on abortion because a leader is indicating so.

I do assist with foster adoptions, shelters for pregnant women, sidewalk counseling...not to mention the witness for life on this blog that I do on a regular basis.

The argument that people who object to abortion do nothing to offer alternatives to help mother's choose life is a tired tactic of the pro-choice crowd that I refuse to subscribe to because it's simply not true.

February 23, 2009 8:35 PM  
Blogger Adoro said...

Anon ~ I'm lead to ask you what option YOU are proposing for the children being aborted? Would you be willing to take their place?

February 23, 2009 9:00 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Anon--
I'd be more than willing to join a posse to hunt down the dad and make sure--at bayonete point in neccessary--that he helped pay, rather than let a child be murdered.

More importantly, I would gladly pull the lever on a lawfully erected gallows for any abortionist who murdred the unborn.

Basically, what I'm underlining here is--the operative isn't "unwanted pregnancy" it's murding an unborn child for the convienience of others.

Why on Earth should we even have tojustify opposition to murder? Unless, one is so wedded to convienience that you refuse to recognize it as murder. In that case, go look at some of those "offensive" abortion photos. That should wake you up from your spiritual slumber that can justify murder.

February 24, 2009 6:12 PM  
Blogger 好文 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

February 06, 2010 7:23 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He left St. Edwards parish a financial shambles but even that isn't enough to get him fired.

He just gets a new assignment.

October 10, 2011 2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page