December 21, 2008

The Faithful Remnant

I'm not dreaming of a white Christmas. No need after the snowfall we had yesterday added to what was already on the ground. I read we've had 15" of snow already this year. I love snow! When I see the fresh white powder on the ground, I wish I could ski like Adoro . But, then I recollect how the last time I went downhill skiing I wrapped myself around a tree....never mind....

When I was growing up (I know-LOL!), but, seriously, when I was growing up, I spent a lot of time at my paternal Grandparent's house. It was not unheard of for us to be snowed in. They lived 3 miles off the highway and they were 5 miles from town. Doesn't sound like much but when you are among the last roads to be plowed out, those 8 miles seem like 80. Grandma always watched the weather reports and if it looked like it was going to snow hard on Sunday we went to the Vigil Mass Saturday night just in case....

I still have that mindset because Saturday as I watched all that snow fall and I heard it may snow into Sunday I thought I better go to the Vigil Mass just in case....

I knew I should have had my snowblower tuned up this year! I had trouble starting it but, eventually, it fired. I had it running twice already this year with no trouble but now, of course, when I really need it or else I can't get the car out of the garage...I figured this was the work of Satan trying to keep me from Mass and prayed accordingly. It worked.

However, I was later than I thought due to the delay and I ended up going to a later Mass at a different parish having missed my parish Vigil Mass by 15 minutes as I pleaded (strongly and assertively! See you before Christmas, Father! *hangs head in shame*) with the starter on the blower.

The going was tough. I almost got stuck twice. It was hard to see. There were only a few people there for Mass. Maybe 40 people. Normally, there are probably several hundred there.

I could have made it to Mass today. It turned out not to be as bad as I thought but, remember, always conscious of the possible weather....

I hated to miss seeing, worshiping and receiving the Lord. I was astonished at the change in myself. Just a few years ago, I would have looked at the weather and stayed home. Like Goldilocks...too cold, too windy, too hot, needs to be just right for ME. I don't want to make any extra effort or go to any extra trouble.

For so long I had no idea what I was missing. Now, I was determined not too miss it- Him.

Father called the few who made it to Mass "The Faithful Remnant"

I wonder. If the Mass were removed to a great distance how many of us would travel far and make sacrifices to go to Mass? How many of us would risk our lives or our personal safety to go to Mass?

There are Catholics who make such efforts every Holy Day. We, I, am so spoiled. One day out of many I needed to make an effort and here I am congratulating myself.

Speaking of "The Faithful Remnant"--give a prayer of thanksgiving for the parish of St. Stephen in Minneapolis!!!! This parish was a dissident hotbed for many years. A new pastor was asssigned this summer and he's really turned things around. Some of the parishioners left in a huff and decided they would just go form their own "community" down the street. However, some remained and some returned. I'm sad that some think they are their own Magisterium and walk away. But, if the return of a seperated parish isn't a great gift to Holy Church I don't know what is. I got this information from a blogger who was St. Stephen today but I see he continues to only email, not POST, his best material!

7 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Shame and embarrassment works every time. I wasn't happy with the title that I had used in the letter.

Thanks for the mention, Cath!

Here's the link:

http://northlandcatholic.blogspot.com/2008/12/ststephens-parish-minneapolis-good-news.html

December 22, 2008 5:59 AM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Ray, I don't know why your link didn't work but hopefully, this one will...

link

December 22, 2008 9:19 AM  
Blogger Amanda said...

Sure, way to make me feel guilty. I made it to 8:00 mass, where I cantored, but I did not make my husband bring the kids to 9:30 mass. We had -34 windchills and blizzard conditions; I just couldn't justify brining my kids (2 and 10 mo) out in that.

But now I feel guilty, LOL.

December 22, 2008 9:26 AM  
Anonymous L. said...

Another wonderful post, Cathy! I am so happy to hear about St. Stephens.
Keep warm today!

December 22, 2008 10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Rain and Snow, Bless the Lord"
-- from the Devine Office

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !!!

December 22, 2008 11:29 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Ray was busy shopping for a new outfit to wear to Michael's wedding - I heard Nanc took him out to Macy's and they were color-coordinating things and then had lunch at Ruby Tuesday's... Cath - he just didn't have time to post.

December 22, 2008 10:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: I wanted to keep that private big mouth! LOL!

December 23, 2008 8:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page