November 05, 2008

Yes he Is



Gentle Reader: Today, I was dismayed to hear some U.S. citizens who are not happy about the outcome of the election saying: "Barack Obama will not be MY President!"

I admit I am not overjoyed by his election, simply, because I vehemently disagree with some of his stated positions.

However, he will be MY President. As U.S. citizens, he will be the President for ALL of us.

We must respect the office he holds and give President-elect Obama the respect he is entitled to as the future Leader of OUR Nation.

This disrespectful talk reminds me very much of the kind of whining I used to hear from my dissenting Catholic buddies: "John Paul II is not MY Pope", "Pope Benedict XVI is not MY Pope". Their whining was usually accompanied by the excuse that because they did not personally get to elect the Holy Father (those old white men did!) they are upset. Ironically, I don't hear too many of these folks complaining that they did not get to elect their hero Blessed Pope John XXIII or, good grief, how many ballots were cast for St. Peter?!? (must have been a hanging papyrus runoff-LOL! Ok, that was bad)

It's all about how mad you are that someone else gets to speak for you and give insight that YOU may disagree with. It's all about how willing you are to submit to the applicable authority. I've noticed the same folks who have a problem with political authority ("render unto Caesar") usually don't like the authority of God either.

Friends, we can disagree with President-elect Obama. And you better believe he'll be hearing from me on occasion. He's also going to be the recipient of many of my prayers. We need to help him. He's going to need it.

But, we must respect him, if for nothing else, his office. There is a line that should never be crossed. The line between criticism and disrespect is a thin one.

A monumental election just concluded. Once again it looks as though the great state of Minnesota will have produced the highest voter turnout in the Nation. It was a good fight-very close. The new electronic media of connectivity (blogs, websites, SMS, YouTube, social media pages, podcasting) played a large role in mobilizing voters. Election 2008, not only gave us the possibility of having the first non-white President but also the first female Vice President! We've come a long way, baby.

*BTW, the lowercase "h" in my title is not a typo. ;-)

7 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

It's like parenting - always present a united front or the kids are going to take full advantage. In this case the "parents" are the president-elect and the people of the US and the "kids" are terrorists.

I will allow myself until the end of the day to moan and groan about the election results and then it's time to get to work - praying, stepping up my ProLife commitments, etc.

November 05, 2008 10:14 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Great plan!

November 06, 2008 7:02 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Democrats said the same thing about President Bush in 2000, how he stole the election and they kept on saying it for 8 years! Great post Cathy.

November 06, 2008 7:06 AM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Yes you are right, he will indeed our president once sworn into office. Like it or not, reality must be faced and accepted. In the end each nation will get the leadership it deserves. For as slavishly in love with death this people has become, Obama is the right man for President. I will pray for him and his family.

November 06, 2008 8:35 AM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I never licked President Bush. I didn't vote for him. But after he was elected all the people driving cars with bumber stickers that said "Not My President" bothered me. A lot.

That was one of the many things that made me leave the left.

November 06, 2008 5:50 PM  
Blogger Cathy said...

I never licked President Bush.

He would have been maaaaaad.

November 07, 2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger Tara said...

May not respect the man, but we do respect the office the man holds--and like it or not he is our President (kinda like getting a new boss at work, you may not like it, but "suck it up.")

November 07, 2008 11:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page