November 24, 2008

Sock It To 'Em!

Yesterday, I socked it to the Catholic Spirit. I want it made clear that I have nothing but the highest respect for His Excellency, Archbishop John Nienstedt. I know he has a lot of work to do. I know the editors and the writers of the newspaper work hard.

I try. God knows, I try to learn patience but it's not one of my virtues. I need to be helped along in my quest for virtue which is why I know that so many in our Archdiocese need to be helped along too. I also know that many local Catholics only get their Archdiocesan news from the Catholic Spirit That's also why many subscribe to it: to hear what is going on around Catholic Town. You've got 'em already, why not teach 'em? I have the same rant about weak homilies too. Hey, we are in the pews now, give it to us with both barrels, Father!

I'm SO overjoyed with the Archbishop's columns in the Catholic Spirit ! He is making a real effort to re-catechize (Let's call it for what it is, we all remember the Dark Ages in this town!) and he illustrates real pastoral concern in those columns. He is able to be informative and true to the Gospel as well as loving. This is not easy to do-as I demonstrate on this blog every time I open my big mouth! Besides my lack of a Y chromosome this is another reason why I'm not Archbishop! LOL!

I was really happy to read his column of November 6, 2008. His Excellency made it clear that Form 3 of the Sacrament of Confession is not be used as a regular reception of the Sacrament. Archbishop Flynn said this too but some people have hard hearts and they refused to listen. Archbishop Nienstedt said:

"But my concern here is much more a pastoral one than a legal one.

A regular use of general absolution is bound to have a negative effect on the spiritual well-being of the penitent because general absolution involves a depersonalized experience of the sacramental grace of forgiveness.

Without the one-on-one encounter and an explicit confession of guilt, penitents also risk developing a superficial understanding of their willing participation in the personal evil that is sin."


How can this not make SO much sense to everyone?

As Advent approaches and the usual suspects are gearing up for one of their two annual waves of general absolution services (the other period being Lent) the hard hearted are already circling their wagons. Under the guise of the same old tired and inaccurate misinterpretations of Vatican II and the whining response that a prior Ordinary never seemed to have any problems with it they are looking forward to "getting away with it" again.

If your faith and your leadership is all about "getting away with it", manipulating the system, and pulling a fast one on the "old man" what exactly are you accomplishing here?

Father John Corapi said, in one of his speeches, that he believes that there will not be a part of Hell lower than the one that will hold all the priests who led their flocks into error. I'm sure Father Corapi thinks this level of Hell contains the priests who refused to be obedient to the Authority they took vows to.

The Archbishop continues:

"Over the next weeks, I plan to share with you some thoughts as to how we can move forward in this archdiocese with a total re-catechesis for the sacrament of penance so that it may be the powerful help in our growth toward holiness that it is meant to be."

Amen. I can't wait! I hope His Excellency is loaded for bear because he's going to need it! I got your back, H.E.

11 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

Call me crazy but I always understood that general absolution was only to be given if death was imminent and the individuals could not make private, personal confession - and even then, if they did not die they were still supposed to go and confess at the first opportunity. Or am I living in some parallel universe?

November 24, 2008 11:27 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: You are correct on all counts! But, you are crazy anyway! LOL!

November 24, 2008 11:40 AM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

This IS true!!!! LOL!

November 24, 2008 11:41 AM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

One other thought - venial sins - they are forgiven during the penitential rite (which is general) during Mass, correct?

November 24, 2008 11:43 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: Yes, but we are encouraged to confess those privately too. However, it's not strictly necessary to do so. I'm a HUGE advocate of doing so since I find it's the venial build-up that causes trouble for me and makes me lapse into mortals (which DO have to be privately confessed)

November 24, 2008 11:45 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Oh, and this Catechism Minute with Cathy has been sponsored by Tylenol!

November 24, 2008 11:46 AM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Ms Cathy of Alex,

The most effective catechese your Ordinary gan bring to bear on this problem is simply to revoke the faculties of, and suspend,any priest giving General Absolution.

Venial sins are forgiven upon reception of any Sacrament--but I'm not sure about the "absolution" in the Mass, especially when, in the Missae Typica, it doesn't say anything like what it says in the current ICEL missal.

November 24, 2008 3:04 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Redneck: I don't know what the Missa Typica is. Are you, basically, saying the 1962 Missal is different in what it says versus the current N.O. Missals?

Now that I think about it "Absolution" may be the wrong word to use for the Penitential Rite during the Mass.

November 24, 2008 8:03 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

"Oh, and this Catechism Minute with Cathy has been sponsored by Tylenol!"

****.5

November 24, 2008 9:30 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Way to go Archbishop! (I don't get the Spirit but get hand-me-down copies from my aunt sometimes.) I think this instruction is greatly needed. In his defense, the Archbishop has only been at this job since May and has been running like a chicken during this time.

November 25, 2008 7:20 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Thanks! LOL! LJ!

Swissy: "like a chicken"? LOL!

November 25, 2008 8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page