November 29, 2008

The Best Marriage Ever

I read somewhere recently that a recently married woman was wishing that her marriage would be like the best marriages she knew: that of her parents and her grandparents.

It ocurred to me to wonder if that is an entirely worthy goal or not. I decided it's admirable but it occurred to me that is not the best marriage EVER the one between Christ and His Church?

If you want to strive for the best union ever it seems to me it should be like the perfect union of THE Bridegroom and THE Bride. Help each other to be Saints. Help each other in your Faith journey. Help each other attain Heaven.

I think that in the journey to help your spouse to Heaven it follows that you are still going to have to deal with the occasional mundaneness of: the budget, running errands, cleaning the house, cooking dinner, raising the kids, and earning a living. But won't those tasks conform, they will have to if you are going to reach your goal, to the best Catholic living you can put forth?

This is me Cathy Singleton saying this so all you married folks chime in! Single folks I'd be curious to hear your opinions too. Divorced and seperated let me hear ya! Agree/disagree? Can't be done? I'm tryin'? I wish I could but I don't know how?

2 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

Great post! I agree 100%

November 29, 2008 11:28 AM  
Blogger Mary Rose said...

Totally agree. In fact, my husband won my heart on our first date when he said how marriage was sacred because it was to reflect God's love for the church.

I believe that a married couple are to love one another as Jesus Christ loves the Church - to the point of laying down our life for our spouse. If we refuse to set aside our own preferences and ambitions, we will have a marriage that falls woefully short of God's purpose for it.

My dad made it simple. In his words: treat your husband like a king and he will treat you like a lady. I do spoil my husband a bit but I see it as love. I don't suffocate him with coddling, it's more of a preferring his happiness over my own. As a result, our marriage has been an incredible blessing and he has loved me in a way I've never imagined possible.

So, yes - grandma and grandpa may be inspirations but our true role model is Christ and the Church. :-)

Meanwhile, I tagged you for a meme. Check out my blog today for details!

November 29, 2008 5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page