September 08, 2008

Prayer Request



After a long illness, my Grandma just passed away about one hour ago.

She was my last Grandparent. I was blessed in that I knew not only all of my Grandparents but all but one of my Great-Grandparents. I know a lot of my friends are unable to say the same so I know how lucky I was.

This photo was taken by my Mom about 15 years ago in my Grandma's living room. It's the only photo I know of with just me and Grandma in it. Grandma went to the trouble to have it framed and matted and presented it to me as a gift. She kept the other copy and it sat in her living room for years. That is, until all my cousins started having kids and I was pushed out by those cute infants-pesky tikes!!!!

I will never forget how when she gave it to me, rather than exclaim how happy I was that I finally had a photo of just the two of us, I immediately seized upon how bad my hair looked, my double-chin, I had my glasses on..*whine, whine*. How lame is that? I'm still shamed by it.

I've had this photo on my shelf for years. It sits near my computer in my office. At one point, I got over myself.

Grandma was a quite a fisherman. We had many fishing adventures together. She was a great one for stories: about her life on the farm as a young girl, her married life, her kids, dancing. Oh, the dancing! My Grandma and I walzed together often (yes, we did!). It was the only dance we: a) knew, b) didn't fight too much over who should lead! LOL! Grandma could lead or follow in dance and I was only taught how to lead (feminism don't ya know!)so it was pretty funny. In an effort to be accomodating I would let her lead and of course I rebelled at that and we'd end up out of time. LOL!

One of the things we've talked about as a family is having a big dance and a fishing trip in Grandma's honor. She would really like that.

Grandma did, Praise God!, receive the Final Sacraments. I should be completely overjoyed that she has an opportunity to see Jesus but, at this point, it's too new and I can only be sad. Sad for myself.

I'll be at Mass tonight. I think if you have to go, you can do a lot worse then go on Our Lady's Birthday!

Gentle Reader: Please remember my Grandma in your prayers. Also, if you could remember my Aunt, who cared for her during her final illness, that would be much appreciated as well. I'm trying to get my Aunt to come back to the Church and Grandma's illness has provided some opportunities for evangelization.

22 Comments:

Blogger Owen said...

Sorry to hear that. May her soul rest in peace.

September 08, 2008 3:53 PM  
Blogger elena maria vidal said...

Your grandma died today, on Our Lady's birthday! That is phenomenal. But losing a grandma is so devastating. I never appreciated what it was to have a grandma until I had to live for many years without one. My deepest condolences.

September 08, 2008 4:38 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Aw Honey, I am crying for you. Sending my angel and BIG, BIG hugs.
I know she is in good hands but I feel for you.

"Do not let your grief be measured by her worth, for then your sorrow has no end."

Prayers ascend for all,
Angela

September 08, 2008 6:06 PM  
Anonymous Randy_in_MN said...

Dear Cathy,

Your Grandma looks and sounds like she was a very sweet lady, strong in her faith and was a blessing to you and your family. Our thoughts and prayers are with you at this sad time in your life. I have only one remaining Grandma and I thank God for everyday that she is with us.

May eternal grant unto her, O Lord and perpetual light shine upon her. May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed, rest in peace. Amen.

September 08, 2008 6:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thank you everyone.

September 08, 2008 7:08 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Cathy:
I'm so sorry for your loss. You were truly blessed to have had her around for so long...what a gift. May she rest in peace and through her intercession may your freezer always be filled with fish :)

September 08, 2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Deeply sorry for your lost. I will say a prayer for your grandmother tonight.

She looks so much like my grandmother:0)

September 08, 2008 11:59 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Swissy: LOL! Thanks for the laugh. I needed it.

Tom: I knew we were from the same tree! :-O Thanks for the prayers.

September 09, 2008 6:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prayed for her and your family. It was nice to read you know how blessed you are to have known her. All four of my grandparents died before I was born. All my Aunts, Uncles and cousins lived in a different country. I never knew that unconditional spoiling kind of love that comes from a grandparent.
Mary

September 09, 2008 11:36 AM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

A dance and fishing is perfect. That would make your grandma very happy.

My grandma died when I was 9 and I still miss her 53 years later.

Prayers for you and your precious grandma...

September 09, 2008 5:46 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

I'm very sorry for your loss Cathy. You are in my prayers.

September 09, 2008 7:31 PM  
Blogger Michael J. Bayly said...

Cathy,

You and all of your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Peace,

Michael

September 09, 2008 9:27 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Mary, Adrienne, Christine and Michael: Thank you.

September 10, 2008 6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. You and your Grandma are in my prayers.

Dominus Vobiscum

September 10, 2008 9:01 AM  
Blogger Kasia said...

I'm so sorry. I know very well the tension between being happy that someone is now with God, and being heartbroken that they are no longer with me. It's so easy to focus on the latter - at least, for me it is.

May I suggest a book? By Grief Refined: Letters to a Widow by Alice von Hildebrand. She wrote it after her husband Dietrich died; and although I am not a widow, I still found a lot of wisdom, comfort and help in it. (As a bonus, it also helped me to appreciate my beloved more on a day-to-day basis.)

September 10, 2008 9:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So sorry, Cath.

Prayers for your family.

:(

-Cathy

September 10, 2008 11:44 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anon, Kasia and Cathy: Thanks for the prayers. I'm having a tough day today and I saw your notes and was much cheered by them. Thank you for taking the time to comment-everyone too not just these 3! :-)

Kasia: I LOVE Alice von Hildebrand. I'd probably really enjoy that book. Thanks for the recommendation.

September 10, 2008 12:22 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

Cathy, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for your grandmother, and all the family.

September 10, 2008 8:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Melody.

September 10, 2008 8:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'll be saying prayers for you and yours.

God Bless,

Embattled Catholic

September 11, 2008 12:38 AM  
Blogger Kit said...

Oh, Cathy - so sorry to read of this today. I lost my grandma (90) last year, just before having the baby, and could not travel to say goodbye before she left us or attend her funeral. We were very close, too - just substitute in marathon nights of card playing and slinging back highballs (a.k.a., "iced tea") for fishing and dancing!

Hope you have a safte trip. I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

September 14, 2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger The Cellarer said...

In blessed repose, grant, O Lord, eternal rest to the soul of Your servant, and remember her forever. Eternal memory; eternal memory, grant, O Lord, to Your servant blessed repose and eternal memory.

September 20, 2008 1:40 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page