September 18, 2008

Peace


Warning: This is a semi-Cranky Cathy post ("Semi" because I've matured so it's not as cranky as my classic crank! See below)!

I hear the word "peace" thrown around a lot. You probably do too. Am I the only one who thinks it's sometimes used as a weapon? Why does it make me so cranky? WTH does it really mean anyway? Do the people saying "peace" know what it means? Is it the opposite of "war"-which is what? Confusion? Just because RPGs aren't going off all over does that mean there is peace?

I admit I don't have a lot of patience for the "peaceniks". I see those folks holding their peace signs over the freeway bridge and I want to throw them and their signs in the river! Thanks for wishing me "peace" or wishing we had "peace" (since I'm never sure what you are after) while I'm stuck in a traffic jam right under you for 1/2 hour. How about voting for more money and roads for public transit or encouraging more companies to build in the central city so I'm not driving 20+ miles/day?! I don't think I'll have peace but I definitely won't be as irritable.

What is peace? Is it a state of mind? A culture? A line of tea by Tazo?

Christ wished us 'Peace'. Peacniks would have us believe that Christ only meant "no war". Is that what He meant? Did He mean that he wished us inner calm and security? Does He wish I wasn't so cranky? I'm not good at biblical translation (for that matter neither are some of the folks entrusted with it!) but I'm pretty sure He did not say:"Cranky be with you" any more than He said "May the Schwartz be with you" (sorry, Mel Brooks fans!)

I've come think He meant the inner calm and security that we, as Catholics, have when we are living within the Law. You know how discombobulated and badly you feel when you've sinned against God. Some would have us believe that "Catholic guilt" needs to be negated and denied. If we could just get rid of that niggling feeling of "guilt" then we would know true peace. Is denial and evil peace? Is that what Christ meant? Don't worry about anything and don't do anything the Church I founded tells you-then you will know 'peace'. That's not the voice of Jesus, that's the voice of Satan. I'm convinced that if we don't seek true peace, Satan will find us, not God.

Adoro tells me that I'm maturing as a Catholic since I've kind of mellowed out-yeah, she drinks too much! LOL! But, seriously, she has a point. If I'm cranky then I'm not at peace and that's when I get into trouble and fall into sin.

So, all those times I'm trying to pray my Rosary before Mass and there is a chaos all around me in the Sanctuary I need to shove aside those thoughts of using the candles for something other than prayer, dampen my rage and just keep on with it. Maybe 'peace' is contagious? Despite societies best efforts to make us all cranky, I've yet to see the definitive cure for destroying the true peace of Christ. Maybe at times it's in remission, but it never totally goes away.

12 Comments:

Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

"Do the people saying "peace" know what it means?"

Analogous to the question you ask is an incident I experienced years ago. My mother came down with pneumonia and in a chance encounter her boss told me "we will keep her in my prayers." Now, the only thing monumentally stupid about that remark was that he was an achiest.

“Peace” or “I will keep you in my prayers” are words that are often thrown around by people who practice neither of them.

September 18, 2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tom: great moment for evangelization! I would have said: "I knew you'd come around!"

I pray all is well with you. I think my heavy commentary is hitting you close to home.

September 18, 2008 12:17 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Nothing to add here.

Peace,
Angie


PS - sorry, I just could not resist! I am feeling rather cranky on my end. Those gosh darn parish council meetings.....only a year left on my term.

September 18, 2008 9:39 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Angela and I are two peas in a pod.

Peace,
Terbear

September 19, 2008 5:55 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I love how everyone who quits blogging continues to blog - it makes me feel sane.

September 19, 2008 5:57 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: With your new facelift I'd be cranky too! I'm just sayin'....Love ya!

Ter: I know! Isn't it great!

September 19, 2008 8:25 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

My latest facelift has made me incapable of shutting my eyes or speaking coherently anymore. Maybe that's a good thing????

September 19, 2008 10:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: That's why your parish council paid for it, right?

*Cathy ducks and runs laughing*

September 20, 2008 8:55 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cath, you scare me when you are cranky.

September 20, 2008 10:30 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: You love it!!!!

September 20, 2008 11:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be at peace (pun intended!) and know that you have a like-minded fellow Catholic reader in Canada. I have an excuse for crankiness, I guess -- being 60+ might do that to you! -- but I definitely relate to what you're talking about here. I heard the announcement of a "mission statement" after Mass yesterday which set my teeth on edge -- of course, the parish council took 6 months to come up with 6 variations on the same theme! Included in one of the versions was the dreaded description "faith community" (cringes)... Funny, I always thought our mission was the one that says "Go out into the world and preach the Gospel to every nation", or some such. Clear, direct, free of gobbledygook, and from the mouth of Christ Himself. Parish council??? We don't need no stinkin' parish council! Courage!

September 22, 2008 12:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

anon: Mission statements make me cranky too. The Church has aspects of a business in its structure (has employees who are paid, benefits etc) but it's reason for existing is not as a business model. It's only mission statement is just as you said. Period.

Liturgy committees make me cranky too. We have a set of instructions on the Mass now. Why do we need people discussing it or coming up with "creative" and "meaningful" expansions? We don't.

September 22, 2008 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page