September 16, 2008

Blog Breakdown: The Empty Page

What is there to say? Everyone's leaving. Will the last person left on blogger shut the mainframe off? Thanks.

Really. I feel so uninspired these days, it's not even funny. Could this be writer's block or the fact that I found I really did not miss composing the blog during my summer break? Both?

Hey, there's a whole other world out there. I was amazed to find Jesus is in it! I lost Him during my mad rush to compose something a few nights a week. Now, I can spend time at Mass or Novena or praying. I'm even back on a regular Adoration schedule.

I don't know how the folks who compose one or more blog posts a DAY do it. How do you balance it all? Work, family, God, losing 20 pounds...I don't know. I have not figured out the secret without limiting my sleep to, oh, 3 hours/night. I can't do that schedule. Good grief, if you think I'm cranky enough now?!?

Totally changing gears...I know-major shocker to my regular readers (all 10 of you!) who know how the synapses in my brain randomly fire!

Deep curtsy to all who prayed for me and my family during this difficult time with my Grandma's death. The funeral Mass was really tough for me. It's (hopefully!) a happy and joyous thing for my Grandma but in my human limitations and inclination towards selfishness I can only cry about myself and the loss of her in MY life.

Speaking of the funeral Mass. Very interesting. I've observed before how the almost total loss of faith (any faith) in my family has not been a good thing. Many of my relatives have absolutely no idea how to act in a house of worship. It doesn't matter if it's Catholic (as it was for my Grandma's funeral) or a Protestant denomination, my family largely acts like a group of eye-rolling and rude folks who would rather be somewhere else (like at the bar watching the game and having a beer). Out of the respect for my Grandma, it was not as bad as other family worship occasions. Almost everyone dressed well but the kids are running all over the place, people are eating in the pews, talking during the readings and homily, yawning, sleeping. Hey, what am I saying, that same kind of behavior can be seen in almost any church on any given Sunday! If you don't know what appropriate behavior is IN the House of the Lord, how can you have any clue what appropriate behavior outside the House of the Lord is?

11 Comments:

Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I remember attending a funeral where some on the non-Catholics did not the decency or respect to stand at the appropriate times.

Moving on to more important things, any funeral is bound to be difficult no matter what the "faith meter" reads. When I loose my grandmother, I know I'm going to be beyond consolation for quite some time. But as you wrote, now I'm thinking of myself.

Nice to have you back, and I will continue to keep your dear grandmother in my prayers.

September 16, 2008 4:40 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Gosh, I have to learn to take my time when typing. Should say "some of the non-Catholics" and "lose" instead of loose.

September 16, 2008 4:43 PM  
Blogger Owen said...

I'm leaving. Must be something in the air.

I'm going to resuscitate my art blog which does bring life and doing other things that do that.

Decreasing the blog feed to a very few. Would have kept yours but now I will wish you the very best as you live life. Peace be with and in you and flowing from you. ::thrive! O

September 16, 2008 6:52 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I'm going to change my blog around a bit--not so much on current events, more on reflections, and fewer posts.

I sometimes feel oppressed when i read the news and start to write.

September 16, 2008 7:35 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

So are you quitting? I quit last nite but started up again this morning. Seriously, what I am going to do is just stop posting one day - no explanation - no nothing. Just like I quit smoking... I won't even tell myself. I have a few things to say for myself before that happens. Cath - can we still be friends and can I still call you Cath?

September 16, 2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Has everyone gone mad?!?

Ter: You don't need to answer that. LOL! Yes, you can always call me: Cath. Seriously, just call me!!!!!

September 17, 2008 6:51 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I don't know what I'm doing. Scaling back for sure.

September 17, 2008 6:51 AM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Cathy,

I must admit there is a problem with dress at church. Many of today's "Emergent" type churches that have become the popular trend (re: megachurches) such as Saddleback, Willow Creek, and Granger, which have banal theology, sappy secular love songs, and are built on emotions, not the Bible, are behind this dress code "push". Today's kids in church wear tee-shirts, jeans, and short shorts. None of them even dare to wear a suit, dress, or even a jacket to church, which is a far cry from what I was taught. I would not go to church or even a concert without wearing a jacket and tie, and for certain artists (my voice teacher, the Philharmonic, et al), a full suit.

Makes you wonder how our standards have declined

September 17, 2008 9:04 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Scaling back to do the things you mention sounds like you have your priorities in line. I don't want you to stop blogging or cut back, but blogging can suck up time better spent elsewhere...like going out with friends ;-}

Sorry the funeral was kind of a circus. Have to say I haven't seen the eating thing...maybe gum chewing, but not eating. Hang in there Cathy, your Grandma is preparing a place for you.

September 17, 2008 3:57 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

So I remember at my (Italian) grandpa's funeral a bunch of my cousins smoking pot in the cloak room of the funeral home. This was while my Dad was telling me how "great" they were (which I guess meant "better than me.")

All funerals are zoos. Someday you'll laugh just as I'm sure your dear granny is laughing right now! God bless her and you!

Go read what Merlin on 43 Folders has to say about blogging, productivity, et al. He's changing his whole format from productivity to "why aren't you doing something instead of sitting on your computer." Got me to thinking.

September 17, 2008 4:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Bobby: I agree manners almost don't even exist anymore. It's horrible. (see Adrienne's comment)

Adrienne: I will, thanks!

Swissy: I know.

September 17, 2008 7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page