June 10, 2008

Readying Your House

Has this ever happened to you? The phone rings and it's your family: "We decided to surprise you! We are a few minutes out from your house! We thought we'd stay a few days! I know you don't mind. Can't wait to see you!"

You: "Huh? I have not had time to clean my house, buy groceries, plan menus, much less clear my schedule for their arrival! What do I do? Leave town? Get them a room at the Holiday Inn? Grin and bear it?"

It's rarely a surprise when we prepare for a visit by the Lord. Or is it? You are wondering: when does the Lord visit? The Lord visits us a lot. Unfortunately, some of us are permanently out of town and don't realize He's already here.

When we attend Holy Mass we need to ready ourselves for a visit from the Lord too. The ultimate visitor, he takes up residence inside US for a few minutes when we receive Him in Holy Communion.

Most of us have a pretty good idea when we are going to take the initiative and ask the Lord to visit us. Most of us know when we are going to Mass. Once and a while it's impromptu, and like me with my relatives calling: if things are not in order maybe we better assume the Lord will not be staying with us. We can go for a visit but we need to abstain from encouraging Him to reside in us by making a spiritual Communion with Him-just like some of us probably wish we could make a spiritual communion with the Hilton when your relatives come to town. You can stop by, but my heart is not in it because I was not ready for you.

The Lord asks us to ready ourselves before receiving Him in Holy Communion. We do this by examining our conscience to see if we are worthy of His exalted company. The standards for receivng Him SHOULD be a lot higher than the standards for receiving my cousins at my house for the weekend.

The Lord calls ahead too. We are to ready ourselves for receiving Him for one hour before receiving Him in Holy Communion. One hour that is all. Some of us will scramble for 2 weeks to get our house cleaned to receive our grandparents, but we won't clean ourselves out for a paltry one hour before we receive the Greatest Guest Ever

4 Comments:

Blogger Angela M. said...

Very.Good.Post!

June 10, 2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I'm going to have to hire a very hard nosed appointments secretary to handle my schedule. Most days, especially those days when I spend a lot of time at the keyboard, I have no time for Him.

Not a good way to live my life.

June 10, 2008 10:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Angel Baby.

Ray: I know. It's a challenge isn't it?

June 11, 2008 6:40 AM  
Anonymous georgette said...

Great article you've written here, Cath!

June 13, 2008 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page