May 22, 2008

Just Because the Mountain is There, Does that Mean it Must be Climbed?

“Why did you climb the mountain?”

“Because it was there”

“Why did the chicken cross the road?”

“To get to the other side”

“Why did Adam eat the apple?”

“Because he could”

“Why do you sin”

“Because I can”

“Why do you dissent?”

“Because I’m free to”

We can do just about anything can’t we? We are, truly, legends in our own minds. It’s entirely possible that we could live our lives without limits, without restraint. But, just because we can live without boundaries does that mean we should? Because we are compelled to disagree, does that mean we must?

If my conscience does not bother me when I have sex with two guys every night, does that mean that The Christ’s teachings on sexuality and morality are wrong? No. It means, I’ve been either: poorly formed or willfully defiant. But, will I acknowledge either? Few do these days.

Rather than personally take responsibility and admit to either poor formation or my personal sin, it’s easier for some of us to project our failings out at someone or something else. “The Church is not perfect, so why should I be?” “I don’t have to listen to a bunch of pedophiles tell me what to do”

Rather than personally take responsibility and admit to either poor formation or my personal sin, it’s easier to try and change someone or something else rather than ourselves. “The Church needs to recognize that everyone is having sex outside of marriage these days and just change its teachings” “The Church needs to recognize gay sex as ok because x% of society says its ok”

For some of us to admit that we may just possibly be sinful and immoral is harder to do and more terrifyingly difficult than anything else we may ever attempt.

I’ll climb a mountain in Tibet but I won’t admit that I need to go to Confession because I used illegal drugs yesterday. I’ll swim the English Channel, but I won’t admit that it was sinful of me to miss Holy Mass last Sunday for no valid reason other than I was too busy prepping my bar-b-que to go.

If only Holy Church would rewrite the Catechism so everyone in the world can be on the same page as I am than I’d be truly happy. If only all of our leaders would join me in proclaiming that gay “marriage” is acceptable, only then will I be truly happy. If only the entire world could be as weighed down in the muck of sin and debauchery I’d be truly happy because than I will not be alone. My entire community will be as sinful, pathetic and wrong as I am. I’ll never have to listen to anyone on this earth tell me that if I’m claiming to be a Catholic Christian than I need to follow a rulebook. There won’t be a book. It won’t be in print. It will all be in my own head to do as I will.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Great post, as usual, Cathy.

Somewhat along those lines, I was just visiting a (new) local dissident blog and a commenter was justifying his behavior and criticizing the Church based upon the text of an old Catholic hymn that he loves:

“there’s a wideness in God’s mercy… there’s a kindness in His justice…”.

Great sentiment, but it's not a teaching of the Church upon which to hang your faith alone.

Faith, a gift from God, is supported by Scripture, the Tradition of the Church, the Teaching of the Magisterium and the Grace of the Holy Spirit.

A hymn doesn't trump those.

May 22, 2008 7:09 AM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Kathy,

Sometimes, you just make my day.

May 22, 2008 11:09 AM  
Blogger Tara said...

Very good post--"I'm my own God, I choose."

May 23, 2008 7:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page