May 25, 2008

Home

In the United States many of us are traveling this weekend because, for many, it is a 3-day weekend. Today, is Corpus Christi Sunday. It is also the day before Memorial Day: a day to commemorate those who sacrificed their lives for our country. It is also, for many, an undeclared All Souls Day. In fact, many people who do not celebrate All Souls in November use Memorial Day as an unofficial substitute. We pray for all the dead on Memorial Day-not just veterans. Though many of us may not decorate graves in November, we will decorate them on Memorial Day.

Today, we are reminded to eat the Body of Christ and drink the Blood of Christ in Memory of Him. Today, is a Memorial to His Sacrifice. Every Sunday, every Mass is, the Sacrifice but today it seemed especially obvious to me.

In many churches and dioceses, the Eucharist is carried in procession as a reminder that as we take Christ into ourselves when we receive Him so we must take Christ into the world. Unfortunately, the area I'm visiting this weekend does not have a Eucharistic procession. I missed not being a part of one. I went without never knowing of their existance for decades. In recent years, I've participated every year. Now, I did not realize how much I have come to look forward to it.

Later, I reflected upon that wherever we travel in the United States, even if we are not among the familiar, if we are properly disposed, we can receive the Eucharist. Even if we are in state of sin, we can still attend Mass. Wherever, we go where we can find a Mass we are home. Wherever the Lord is present is home.

Today, during his Homily, Father related a story of Chinese Catholics reciving Communion while hiding from the authorities in a thicket. If they had been discovered, they would die. They are willing to risk their lives to receive Him. They will travel great distances at great personal risk to receive Him. I'm sad because so many, and there are times when I've been one, can't bother while they are on vacation to attend Mass at a parish that is less than 5 minutes away.

So often when we are away from home, we forget where our true home really is. You'll check in with your loved ones to tell them you arrived safely but you won't check in with He who loves you most of all.

Please take time this weekend and always to remember and reflect upon the greatest Sacrifice and Memorial ever given.

8 Comments:

Blogger Vincenzo said...

That was beautiful. You're so cool.

May 25, 2008 6:32 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Beautiful!

May 25, 2008 7:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Vin: You make me have a big head! :-)

May 25, 2008 9:26 PM  
Blogger Sister Caprice said...

Well said!

May 26, 2008 6:36 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

It's Monday night and I wish I could go to Mass again tonight. Thanks Cathy.

You area bloggers are the best aid for the continual formation of my Catholic conscience.

May 26, 2008 6:42 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Ray and Sis-tah!

May 26, 2008 8:23 PM  
Blogger Geometricus said...

Really good thoughts, my friend. Now read what I have to say about this topic over at my blog. YES it's true I've finally started blogging again. I'll try harder this time to keep posting!

May 26, 2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

How true!

The story of Chinese Catholics puts all of us to shame. And some - as I'm sure you know - have been murdered by the Chinese government for practicing their faith or fighting oppression.

May 27, 2008 12:11 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page