May 10, 2008

Holy Spirit Shower


Gentle Reader: Like Magnum P.I. (*sigh*) says: "I know what you are thinking!" Showers? How can tongues of flame be showers? What does she mean? Rain?

Yes, it's raining here. The grass is getting nice and green. My plants are poking up out of the ground. My grill is sitting in the yard waiting to be grilled on if this rain would quit! Ah, spring!

"Get on with it already!" says, Adoro with great exasperation and eye rolling.

Ok, ok.

Last night, I attended a lovely Holy Spirit Shower for blogging sister, Mary Gibson, of Veritatis Splendor and Roman Roamin' blogs.

Mary is entering the Benedictines of Mary Queen of Apostles in Kansas City, MO, on June 11th. Several local Catholic women threw a shower for her. The hostesses called it a Holy Spirit shower which is a great title but in many ways it was a bridal shower.

We gave Mary some gifts. She plans to keep studying Italian and she got an Italian book. She received some clothing that will be acceptable for her to wear in the convent.

Like many showers we played games. I arrived too late to play the Saint game-LOL! Ha-ha-ha! Yes, I was late. Way beyond fashionably late too. That's ok, because I looked at that Saint match game list and I would have bombed that as much as I would Swissmiss' Weekend Kneeler Jeopardy! That said, I won the "Guess which items Mary can or can not take with her to the convent" (deoderant ok, soap no, statue of Mary-ok, angel statue-no etc.) game. Mary said: "Hmmmm....there's room in the inn"

God help us.

I brought champagne. I know you are all shocked. LOL! We drank a toast to Mary.

It was really moving to hear Mary talk about her new order. Her new order. That's how she talks about it already. She is excited and happy. She has stories about her new sisters already. It was really a beautiful evening.

I've only just gotten to know Mary in the last year. When I first came to know her, it was thru her blogs. She was studying in Rome for several years. It was our blogs that brought us together. If I'm grateful for nothing else, it is the people blogs have brought into my life. If not for the blog, I may never have met them.

I'm going to miss Mary. I will miss her laugh and her energy. I will miss her photographs. I pray that one day we will meet again-you know what I mean. I asked her to pray for us as I will pray for her. Who else am I going to mess with regarding what to call me? ROFL! When Mary goes to introduce me to someone she usually gives up because she does not know if she should call me: Janice or Cathy. I'm of no help. I say: either is fine. LOL!

In true Mary fashion she gave away a lot of religious goods that she cannot take with her at this party. Several of them were blessed by Pope John Paul II. She was going thru her stack of prayer cards and she said: "Oh, Santa Prassede, that's YOU, Cathy!" and gave me the prayer card.

In true Mary fashion, she gives away more than she receives.

Speaking of receiving, Mary has raised over 1/2 of the money she needs to clear her debt before she enters the convent. However, she has about $8,000 remaining. Time is short. If you can help, please donate! Mary has information here

What a great and Holy way to spend that IRS economic stimulus check by giving all or part of it to cover the debt for a sister that is consecrating herself to Christ.

There will be a Mass of celebration, as Mary leave us to start her new life, at the Cathedral of St. Paul at 5:15 p.m. on June 6th (First Friday), Father Michael Skluzacek of St. John the Baptist in New Brighton, MN, and Mary's Spiritual Director, is scheduled to be the Celebrant.

Mary, Queen of the Apostles, Pray for Us!

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I will keep Mary in my prayers and hope she prays for us from within her monastic community.

May 11, 2008 12:35 AM  
Anonymous adoro said...

Oh, I'm so going to the Mass of celebration!

May 11, 2008 5:22 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Me, too!

I first met "Veritatis Splendor" on the Catholic Answers Forum after I got kicked off of the oh, so DFL-Hack-Infested "Mpls Issues Network" for referring to someone as an employee of the St. Paul Chamber of Commerce. Really!

In those days I had never heard of a blog and scoured the C.A.F., looking for Twin Cities Catholics with whom to communicate.

I ultimately left them when I started to blog two years ago and soon discovered this UST student, the "Roamin' Roman" in Rome, of course, blogging and posting fabulous photos (rather than studying Italian) of every chapel, cathedral, catacomb and Caravaggio in Italy. Slowly I realized it was "Veritatis."

Then last Spring, during the kerfuffle over the UofMN's presentation of the sacrilegious "The Pope and the Witch" play, a demonstration was planned to show Catholic displeasure. Father Baer at the SJV Seminary turned out about 80 of his best, all cassocked and surpliced, to sing hymns and I joined in.

While thumbing through my hymnal (it's hard to turn pages wearing mittens), I glanced down, way down, and there grinning up at me like a cheshire cat, was none other than Veritatis/Roamin'/Mary. at our first face to face encounter. There have been others since then.

And I'm going to miss her a lot. I hope she'll be praying for me and all the rest of the St Blog's quite sizable Twin Cities blogging contingent. I know I will be praying for her.

May 11, 2008 7:25 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tom: Me too!

Adoro: Good! See you there!

Ray: Nice remembrance.

May 11, 2008 8:57 AM  
Blogger Quantitative Metathesis said...

*pouts, feeling left out*

I shall have to tease Mary on Monday, if she comes to Breakfast Club. What a lovely way to send her off!

May 11, 2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

QM: I did not know you knew Mary. Of course, I did not handle the guest list either.

Please come to the Mass on the 6th if you can.

May 11, 2008 1:39 PM  
Blogger Quantitative Metathesis said...

Cathy-
No worries! And I would absotively love to come to the Mass...but I shall be finishing up my visit to the Passionist Nuns in KY on that very day, so I will not be able. I will certainly be there in spirit, praying away!

May 11, 2008 3:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

QM: Great! Thanks for telling me. I will remember your visit in my prayers.

May 11, 2008 9:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page