May 24, 2008

Gone Fishin'

I'm spending the long weekend in northern Minnesota. My Dad and I took the boat up to Lake Winnibigoshish or "Winnie" as it usually called. Windy Winnie as I've called it for as long as I can remember.

Windy Winnie was truly windy today. My Dad only has a 12 foot Aluminacraft so we were rolling pretty good. I've always known exactly how the disciples felt on the Sea when the storm came up! There is nothing like a small boat in choppy water to bring home the evidence of how pathetic man is before the might of nature. I don't have the Lord in the bow to calm the storm. My Dad can do a lot of things, but not that! LOL! I love that little boat. My Dad has owned that boat since I was a wee tyke. I've had many adventures and memories in that humble craft.

My Dad announced about 8 years ago that after 60 some years of carting people around the lake, he was done driving the boat. Now, he sits in the bow and relaxes while I back the boat into the water, push it off the trailer, start the motor, guide us out, run the boat etc. etc. It probably goes without saying that I usually attract a crowd of guys at the boat landing. You don't see too many women putting a boat in the water and running the boat when a man is handy. I've yet to receive a marriage proposal from these gawkers but I'm sure it's because my Dad still manages to give them that "Dad-look". You know what I mean. I'm 40 and my Dad is pushing 70 and he's still chasing guys away from me. No wonder I'm still single. LOL!

At first, I was really happy that my Dad, who was always a workaholic, was taking it easy, than I realized his real game was to blame me if he didn't catch anything! LOL! I caught a few fish today and Dad was skunked. I recall last year he was skunked a lot too. Of course, he blames me for that since I'm the "guide". I tell him he gets what he pays for.

Good times, good times.....

Gentle Readers in the States: I pray your Memorial Weekend is a good one. Don't forget to remember a veteran or a deceased relative in your prayers. I decorated graves before I left the city. I know some of you do that too. If you don't live near a grave of someone you know, why not decorate the grave of a stranger? Or, pray for the repose of the soul of someone you don't know?

7 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Happy fishing. Give Dad a big hug from Auntie A:)

May 24, 2008 10:46 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Good luck, Skipper! Give my reagards to the millionaire and his wife, the movie star, the professor and Mary Ann:0)

Your pal,
Gilligan

May 24, 2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I am glad you had this time with your dad! Give him my best wishes and thanks for the service he gave your country.

May 25, 2008 10:53 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Jeepers! There is just so much I could say to this! You know - the fashion commentary...

What Cathy wears to drive the boat...
The hair - omigosh! The big hair and make-up she wears as she is umloading the boat...
Those beer signs on the stern...
The dance music blaring...
And the high heels...
The sun glasses - her favorite prop - how she peers over the rims at the other male boaters; and then flings them off her face, waving them in the air as she calls out, "Dahlings! I have beer!" - so dramatic, so the Hollywood starlette!
What an exhibition - no wonder dad just hides in the bow of the boat.

But no - I'm not saying a word.

May 25, 2008 4:07 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Aw, you guys and gals are just wacky enough to actually be related to me, you know?

Ter: I have actual photos of me in the boat. It's not Zsa Zsa-'nuff said! LOL!

May 25, 2008 5:44 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

"What an exhibition - no wonder dad just hides in the bow of the boat."

It was wackier than you imagined!

"Ter: I have actual photos of me in the boat."

click

May 25, 2008 6:01 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

My dear glamour-puss - P-shaw! You are so darn humble.

May 25, 2008 8:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page