May 20, 2008

Cluck, Cluck with Cathy: More Wedding Foolery

At the wedding I went to this past weekend, there was a moment during the reception dance when the DJ asked everyone from the immediate family of the bride and groom as well as the wedding party to come to the dance floor. As I said, the bride and groom have a lot of multiple marriages in their family and they also had many attendants so the floor was mobbed.

The DJ asked us all to join hands and he called for silence. Another cousin of mine, who scorns all things Christian, asked derisively if I thought we were all going to have to pray. I would have been shocked by that too, but for a different reason, since I thought God was pretty much neglected during the wedding.

I told her "Oh, no, we are out here to do THE CHICKEN DANCE! Just you wait for it"

"Nah, [bride's name] would not do that to us"

"Are you crazy? I've known [bride's name] my whole life. I used to change her diapers. She has my sense of humor. Trust me, we are cluckin'"

Silence.

Yep, my Midwestern brothers and sisters you know what happened next! ROFL!

Lamest Chicken Dance ever. I mean, how can they expect anyone to do the Chicken Dance during the first 1/2 hour of the reception? You need at least 2 shots of tequila in you before you should be expected to do that nonsense. Good grief.

List of dances that will be banned from my reception if I'm ever wed:

Electric Slide
The Hustle
Boot Scoot Boogie
The Achy Breaky
The Bunny Hop (I've seen it at weddings!)
The Hokey Pokey
The Chicken Dance
The Macarena
Anything involving a Conga line and watermelon shots (don't ask)

13 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Does that mean you are a big fan of "The Limbo", Cathy?

May 20, 2008 9:11 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I've never seen the Limbo at a wedding I've been too but I supposed it's possible. Maybe that should be on my list too. The thought of watching my family try and do that-Oh!

Ray, maybe if I get married you can lead us out in the Limbo? I think you are holding out on me. I bet they do that at the AOTM and you are club champ! You aren't foolin' me! I know what you ex-Army guys are like!

Hey, do you play Twister? I'm always looking for players.

May 20, 2008 9:20 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

May 20, 2008 9:21 PM  
Anonymous bro. AJK said...

All right. It's official. You will have a dry wedding reception.

By the way, I do some of those without any liquor quite gladly.

May 20, 2008 9:46 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

UGH. thanks for reminding me that there is video in existence of me doing the Macarena at my wedding dace.
I believe there was some kind of a "Love Shack" dance line too.
We didn't ban any dances, but I think I did ban the ssong "Mony, Mony"!
Add that to your list. :)

May 20, 2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Cathy, the crash and the thud and then the howl of pain resulting from me trying to get under the 5 foot 6 inch level would probably necessitate calling 911.

I think I played Twister once. At least with that one, the distance to the floor isn't so far.

May 20, 2008 9:59 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I cried tears of joy when I saw omitted from the list The Twist. I'm sure Chubby Checkers would feel equally joyful.

How many drinks to get me to fall flat on my face from a drunken stupor? 1 O'Douls.

May 20, 2008 11:36 PM  
Blogger Jackie Parkes said...

Would you mind updating to my new blog? Many thanks..

May 21, 2008 4:54 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Was there really a dance to the Billy Ray Cyrus song?

May 21, 2008 5:56 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Oh, Lisa, be happy in your innocence! :-)

May 21, 2008 7:44 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I never dance at weddings unless I can rip my tie and coat off, bust open my shirt and do a nice moon-walk with my hat over my eyes.

May 21, 2008 9:46 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I never dance at weddings, 'cause I dance like frankenstein vs polio.

I did attend a wedding where at the reception the bride and brides maids belly danced for the groom and groomsmen.

Wierder, (and more embarrassing than) conga line watermelon shots.

May 22, 2008 11:08 AM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Well, you could always skip the dance. My husband and I were uh...a little short of funds so we had an early afternoon wedding, then a simple cake & punch reception and that was it! I tell ya, it was great and not very expensive - even though we both love dancing...

May 23, 2008 9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page