May 04, 2008

48 Hours

Most Rev. John C. Nienstedt has been our Ordinary for 48 hours. Already, he's under indirect attack by those upset that Dr. Steven Miles was not allowed to speak at our favorite local parish, St. Joan of Arc. Never mind that His Excellency was not technically in charge last Wednesday when the "order" came from "on high". I know, from dissident friends that I spoke with today, that the "prog" crowd is "sure" that Archbishop Nienstedt is behind it.

They seem to have forgotten, in that first blush of looking wistfully back upon a leaving lover, that Archbishop Flynn did not always let them defy Christ's teachings without comment either. If I'm grateful for anything, it's that they are letting Archbishop Flynn go in peace. Actually, I find it highly amusing that the same crowd that villified Archbishop Flynn for years, now, wishes he would stay. Unfortunately, there's that "pesky" rule about retirement age. I guess that's another thing a certain crowd would like overturned-but only, like everything else, when it suits their purposes.

Note to His Excellency: Don't worry, it's only going to get worse! Pentecost is fast approaching and we locals know what that means and, unfortunately, it isn't only the Holy Spirit descending upon the Cathedral! If it means anything, be assured of my prayers and support.

Oh, where was I? What am I talking about? Who's Dr. Miles?

Dr. Steven Miles is an outspoken opponent of torture. God bless him for that! However, he is also a proponent of abortion. God does not bless him for that! He states he was not going to speak about abortion at St. Joan of Arc. Maybe so. But, people with a public record of opposition to Church teaching should not be speaking before Masses on Sunday in Catholic churches. Actually, public dissenters shouldn't be speaking at a Catholic institution period. But, gosh, what kind of a revolutionary statement is that! (*meow*)

I have no idea if Dr. Miles is Catholic. Leaving issues of his faith aside, it astounds me that folks that give their lives to a pro-life cause like ending torture of a human being, fail to grasp the concept that they are advocating torture of a defenseless human in the womb thru the violence done to them by abortion. Women having abortions are tortured. Men are tortured by abortion.

One of the many reasons the "prog" set lost me is they have no reasoning or continuity in their thought or in how they live the Faith. They pick and choose and throw things together that make absolutely no sense whatsoever to anyone but themselves. How in the world anyone can scream about what we are doing to the planet, yet fail to, even at the most rudimentary level, permit themselves to wonder what we are doing to human life is beyond my limited comprehension to grasp.

I seem to recall some Popes speaking out against torture so for those who say the Church is silent about torture, you are wrong. I will grant you that perhaps relative to torture, faithful Catholics speak more forcefully and more often on the evils of abortion. However, it's not that I believe the Church is saying torture is fine. It's that the Church is trying time and again to get us, ALL OF US, to see the seamless garment, the consistent ethic of life but their pleas are falling on deaf ears. The professional protestors are too busy running to their next protest to bother to read what the Church is actually saying anyway. Meanwhile, the folks who think abortion is wrong aren't listening either because they should also be objecting to torture. There's weakness in the arguments on both sides.

To get around this latest "directive" St. Joan's distributed copies in Church of what Dr. Miles would have said today anyway. Furthermore, the event was moved to the Carondelet Center for Tuesday evening. I fail to understand how moving this pro-abort speaker to the former novitiate for the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet on the grounds of the College of St. Catherine is supposed to satisfy anyone who is concerned that pro-aborts are speaking in Catholic institutions.

The Sisters still run and own the Carondelet Center. Even though their press says the Center is adjoining the Campus it is ON the Campus grounds. All you have to do is walk across the lawn behind O'Shaughnessy Auditorium and there's the Carondelet Center.

Somedays, I wonder how wonderful it would be to have an actual Catholic college for women run by a strong and Magisterium faithful order of nuns. I think how wonderful it would be to encourage women to, not only be critical thinkers (they do that well at St. Kate's) but also how to love and advocate for your Faith. They taught me to see my Faith as oppression, they should see it as liberation the way I do now. In my humble opinion, I still think they taught me the wrong liberation theology. Well, that's probably for a future post, since I could rant at length and now I'm ending this post off-topic. Oh, well, it's my blog and I can rant if I want to!

11 Comments:

Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

The illogical positions of the pro-abortion movement are baffling. I was just enjoying Cardinal O'Connor's lucid and erudite expression of the full gospel of life, refresh yourself Cathy.

[Just ignore Chuck Daly, unless you want a basketball education after Cardinal O'Connor...]

May 04, 2008 3:42 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

It's my blog and I can rant if I want to
Rant if I want to
Rant if I want to...
You would rant too if it happened to you!


Seriously, great post hon! You tell 'em!

Can't wait to hear about the wrong liberation theology you got.

May 04, 2008 4:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: I'm listening to it now-thanks!

Adoro: LOL! I almost quoted that song in there so I think it's hysterical that you picked up on my brain thread. Scary too. Yes, I should do a future post on that. I think I've alluded to it before but I think I have more to say.

May 04, 2008 4:52 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Actually, I find it highly amusing that the same crowd that villified Archbishop Flynn for years, now, wishes he would stay. Unfortunately, there's that "pesky" rule about retirement age.

The most pesky thing about retirement age rules is that most of Archbishop Flynn's opponents are staring at their personal retirement age deadline.

They fought long and hard and they're beginning to see that they lost. Oh, some of them will be fighting for some time now, but that's out of stubborn pride, not of any expectation that their dreams will come true.

Great post, Cathy!

May 04, 2008 5:05 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Having attended Derham Hall when the high school was still located on the campus of St. Catherines, I can tell you that the Sister's of St. Joseph used to be the complete opposite of what you see today.

I don't even recognize what they have become.

May 04, 2008 5:53 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I saw this topic on the news...they interviewed a parishioner who said that all types of positions should be listened to. Well, yeah, totally with you there dude, but NOT at a Catholic church or institution. Go listen to CNN in a bar if you want to, but don't expect the Church to give those antagonistic to the Faith a forum, especially before Mass.

May 04, 2008 7:04 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adrienne: I believe you.

May 04, 2008 8:44 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Read the works of St. Pius X...describes the beliefs of today to a T.

May 04, 2008 9:41 PM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

Cathy - we must pray, pray, pray for our alma mater! The founding Sisters of St. Joseph I'm quite sure are dismayed at state of their order now. I also wonder if St. Catherine of Alexandria often bows down before the throne of God groaning against the dissent there. I shudder at the thought of how many could be led astray there.

Also, I got a call the other night from a student there asking for a donation. I told her in good conscience I could not give to a school which is in such open dissent. I was shocked at her response to me - she didn't deny it, didn't defend it - just simply acknowledged the truth of what I said and and "thanks anyway!"

May 06, 2008 11:28 AM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

RANT ON!!!!!


And, as Adoro says, check out Pius X!
You know him, the Saint Proggies wish wasn't.

May 06, 2008 8:07 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Sanctus Belle: That's disturbing. However, there are a LOT of non-Catholics at CSC and they know full well it is not truly a Catholic school-that's one of the reasons they will attend.

May 07, 2008 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page