March 01, 2008

You Don't Bring Me Flowers

But Adrienne did! Thanks, sweetie!

Angela tagged me for a meme. It ties in nicely with my Lenten check-up so I'm actually going to condescend to do it! LOL! I say that because I know I've been remiss at doing memes lately.

1. What’s been your best Lenten-effort-idea ever?

The decision to receive the Sacrament of Confirmation last year. Related to that is I spent 2 years learning about the faith prior to that. Much of that learning time was taken in classes during Lent. I'm a revert who had over 35 years of garbage to overcome and unlearn.

2. And your worst?

Not even being conscious of Lent. That was true of my life for a long time. There were many years I did not do anything. I did not even attend Mass on Easter.

3. What Lenten advice would you share?

Rather than thinking about Lent as "giving something up" think of it as adding something to your life in Christ. Perhaps, resolving to spend one hour/day in prayer (when perhaps you normally don't) is one option. Yes, you will be giving up your free time but I believe if you think of it in terms of addition rather than subtraction it may make it easier for you. Certainly, that's been my experience.

4. And what will feature this year?

I'm focusing on the Big 3: prayer, fasting and almsgiving. I posted at the beginning of Lent how I was going to do that. So far, I'm doing pretty well. I was unable to go to Adoration last week and I missed Stations of the Cross at my parish a few times (I did it on my own instead). I also need to go to Confession again, but I'm happy to report that I feel like this Lent has been pretty successful. Honestly, when you go from nothing to something I have to call that a success! :-)

6 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Good advice.

March 01, 2008 4:59 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Above all of your Lenten commitments, I admire your entire attitude towards the season.

"Rather than thinking about Lent as 'giving something up' think of it as adding something to your life in Christ."

Now that's what faith is all about!!

March 02, 2008 12:32 AM  
Blogger Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Thanks for sharing your spiritual journey..

March 02, 2008 3:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Kathy,

I am giving up reading blogs for Lent. I know you understand! On Sundays I catch up. It was hard at first but now during the week I am fine. I am also increasing my daily prayers too.

God Bless,

Katie

March 02, 2008 12:32 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Katie: Where's Tom?

March 02, 2008 1:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,

Tom who?


Katie
who is not as tall as Katie Holmes

March 02, 2008 4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page