March 26, 2008

The Need for Divine Mercy

Good Friday has come and gone. Thank you, Jesus.

Ray and I did the annual Good Friday vigil before the abortuary at Planned Parenthood in Highland Park. I continue to pray for a day when we don't have to go. Ray wanted to start a snowball fight with the Death Eaters. LOL! Well, we didn't.

It was really powerful to see all the Pro-Life folks out-many of their faces have become dear to me. Strangers though we all really are, I've come to recognize some of them from prior vigils. It was a really messy and windy day. We had snow overnight and it snowed the entire time we were there. It was that wet, heavy snow. It was very slippery walking.

God Be Praised! There were more people in the afternoon on Our Side than theirs. Ray wondered if the PP folks are paid. Unless something has changed recently, I know first hand that some of them are paid to stand out there. I reflected on Judas being paid to give up Christ.

It saddens me beyond words that so many don't get the supreme irony that they are supporting murder on the same say Jesus was murdered. D'uh!!!!! Hello!!!!!

But, when so many in our society have thoroughly rejected the Gospel what can we expect?

On Holy Thursday, I was getting ready to go to Mass after work when a bus load of drunken women rolled up to the house next door. It was someone's 50th birthday party and they chose to spend it going bar to bar via bus. I got really angry and thought: "Don't they KNOW what day it is???!!!" Either they don't or (is this even worse?) they don't care.

I decided that I better just calm down before I got myself all worked up. I closed my shades on that side of the house. Maybe I shouldn't have. Is just pretending it's not happening helpful? What else could I have done? I decided to go to Mass as planned. I decided to ask for forgiveness for them and for my judgemental heart.

Alas, it's a true today as it was thousands of years ago: "Father, forgive them, they know not what they do" (Luke 23:34)

It's as true today as it's ever been: "Oh God, be merciful to me, a sinner" (Luke 18:13) Not all that long ago, that was me among the Death Eaters. That was me unaware it was the Triduum. That was me intoxicated in a rented bus with my girlfriends.

It will continue to be true that: "What is impossible for human beings is possible for God" (Luke 18:27) There are many sinners reading this blog, including the sinner writing it. If WE can find our way out of the darkness, so can anyone else.

Many of us are praying the Divine Mercy Novena now. Please join me in offering prayers to His Divine Mercy for the return of our lost brothers and sisters.

14 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

I still think a snowball fight would have been appropriate.

March 26, 2008 7:21 AM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

I used to pray at the HP mill when I was at SJV in SP. Every Friday at 3pm, a beat up mini-pickup would drive by on Ford Parkway and the driver would yell, "Get a job, morons!" I couldn't help but wonder what his employer thought about him sneaking out at 3pm to yell at men praying at an abortion mill. Hmm.

March 26, 2008 7:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,

I was there too! My fifteen year old daughter and five year old son were with me. We were there early! We left a little after ten. My teenager really enjoyed it. She wants to come back next year.

Pax et Bonum,

Kate

March 26, 2008 9:00 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Yesterday I was out antiquing with a friend and we drove by PP. I pointed them out and said - 'they do abortions there.' My friend was surprised and said, 'You're kidding, I thought they just helped people with family planning issues and birth control.'

I have a feeling many people think that.

March 26, 2008 9:11 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Sadly, maybe we can do that next year. *sigh*

Father: There were some "Tommies" there!

Kate: God bless you. There were a lot of families there.

Terry: You are probably right.

March 26, 2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

Did you notice your nominations on The Crescat? What do they mean by cranky? Cathy? No!

March 26, 2008 12:59 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: I did see them because I nominated a few folks over there myself so I've been monitoring it!

I'm a serious contestant in the Crank category-just you wait! LOL! Oh, and Snark too-LOL again.

I should not be proud of either but I'm such a goofball I can't help it.

March 26, 2008 2:40 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Awesome post!

March 26, 2008 6:44 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

First and foremost, I want to thank you and Ray for being so conscientious and praying for the unborn babies outside that Nazi camp. I, too, hope for the day when we can look back on these places of mass exterminations with the same sadness and revulsion as an Auschwitz concentration camp.

I did celebrate my mom’s 65th birthday on Thursday with dinner with her and my grandmother. And, NO, we did not go bar-hopping. Not even my friends or her friends were invited. Just the three of us.

My grandmother, as she was getting out of my car, locked the doors behind her with the engine still running. I had to call a service to come get the door opened for me. Fifty bucks to get back inside my car.

Maybe I should have hooked up with those drunken ladies and let them do the driving (just kidding!).

March 26, 2008 7:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tom: You are a good son and grandson but a bad car guy. You should've done what my male relatives always did: bust the window and then drive around all winter with plastic over the busted window (too poor to replace it-brrrr)

You are better than those ladies, though I bet they'd respond to the little white dog "chick magnet" that you have! ;-)

March 26, 2008 8:23 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

"I still think a snowball fight would have been appropriate."

click here

March 27, 2008 12:16 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Vin: LOL! Yes, just like that. Ray would dump a big pile on MY head. He's a bad shot.

March 27, 2008 1:46 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Jeepers Creepers!

I didn't expect that Cathy and Vincenzo would have such good arms.

And Terry wasn't much help. What do you expect from those artsy types? And I was way out of practice. In my prime, I couldda handled both Cathy and Vinny with one hand tied behind my back (as long as my supply of snowballs was pre-made and plentiful.

So when that happens, one needs to use a "secret weapon" to avoid a catastrophe.

Brilliant, Vinny!

March 27, 2008 5:30 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

At least they took a bus and didn't kill anybody by drunk driving. I know, I know...it was still wrong but I suppose it could have been even worse.

March 27, 2008 8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page