March 10, 2008

It is the Lord!

I went to Adoration Saturday and I continually meditated upon one phrase as I gazed raptly upon the Face of Christ reflected in the Sacred Host displayed in the monstrance before me.

It is the Lord! It is the Lord! It is the Lord!

When the priest elevates the Host during Holy Mass: It is the Lord!

When you receive Holy Communion: It is the Lord!

No amount of apologia, theological arguments, or scientific theorems can persuade you in your inmost heart "It is the Lord!" You either accept it is the Lord, know it is the Lord, and believe it is the Lord or you don't.

I find it curious that we are a people who profess to believe in the miraculous, but when it comes to Faith (something that should transcend the tangible) we want facts and evidence. "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and place my finger in the mark of the nails, and place my hand in His side, I will not believe"--John 20:25. Jesus appeared to Thomas and permitted Thomas to do just what he wanted. Then, and only then, did Thomas believe and Jesus rebuked Him with "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet believe"--John 20:29

During the early days of his Apostleship, Peter tried to walk the sea towards the Lord. He doubted and he started to sink. He cried out to the Lord to save him and the Lord rebuked him for his lack of Faith. (Peter earned his living on the water. Is it possible that Peter did not know how to swim? Possible. It's never explicitely stated. But, I wonder. It's not like they had a local Y. It was quite common for sailors and fisherman to be unable to swim.) Peter tried to walk the water but only when he asked Christ to bid him to come. "Lord, if it is you, bid me come to you on the water"--Matthew 14:28 Peter waited for the Lord to ask because he wanted to make sure it was the Lord before he started out. He was also testing the Lord. Only after the episode and the rebuke, do those in the boat recognize Him as the Son of God. They wanted proof to believe.

Later, after the Resurrection, Jesus appears again to the Apostles (John 21:7). This time, John, who is with Peter in the boat, decisively recognizes Jesus on the shore. John says "It is the Lord!" Peter, in his spritual maturity, does not wait for the Lord to call him, he does not question John as to why he thinks it's the Lord, Peter jumps without hesitation into the sea. Not walking this time, but swimming towards the Lord like an infant reaching out to its mother in a pool. Striving. This time, Peter does not need help. He keeps his eyes on Christ. He reaches the Lord on the shore. He knows it is the Lord before he reaches the shore. He has no doubt.

In our infancy of Faith, we too, doubt that the Consecrated Host and Wine are really and truly the Lord. We let ourselves be swayed by our Protestant friends or our Catholic friends of weak belief, that the bread and wine are only symbols. They are not really and truly the Body and the Blood. We let ourselves accept that it cannot be possible. If we profess to believe that a man was crucified and rose from the dead even though we did not live with him when he walked the Earth, nor were we at Calvary, how then can we fail to believe that a miracle may still be occuring right before our eyes at Holy Mass? Today. Now. The Lord is waiting for you. Why are you waiting to hear his voice? Go. Now. It is the Lord!

9 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Beautiful.

March 10, 2008 10:13 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Great Lentan meditation, Cathy.

I don't think that I had ever really thought about the fact that "it is the Lord" until I was about 45. I would have gotten the answer correct on a test, but it really didn't mean anything to me. Of course for almost all of my adult life until that moment I had been in the state of mortal sin, too.

About five years after I began my (still ongoing) reversion, I was going to Mass at the Trappist Monastery down near Dubuque and as I walked up to the tall, red haired monk with the chalice, he said directly to me: "The Blood of Christ."

My only thought was: "He really believes that." I've never forgotten that moment.

And with prayer, adoration and attempting to stay in the state of grace, the reception of Holy Communion and Eucharistic Adoration often remain very powerful for me.

March 10, 2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger Joe of St. Thérèse said...

very very good

March 10, 2008 11:08 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Excellent!!

March 11, 2008 11:11 AM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

I wish I had the reactions of St. Peter. I often "see" our Lord beckoning to me at the end of a busy day. Rather than jump into the sea to swim for Him, I so often deny that it is Him or seek false faces in Fudge Stripes and the like.

Mother Teresa, in Malcolm Muggeridge's Something Beautiful for God says: "Your problems are finite, God is infinite, allow the finite to be healed by the infinite." Pray this Easter my finite faith might be more consumed, assumed, and healed by His Infinite mercy.

March 11, 2008 3:04 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

Great post Cathy!

March 11, 2008 3:37 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks all!

Father Andrew: Are those fudge stripes on e-bay? LOL!

March 11, 2008 4:27 PM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

Cathy- that took me about a minute, but no. While the countenance was our Lord's the cookie was still fudge stripe, so I ate it anyway. Another miracle food apparition, done in by the choice of medium.

March 11, 2008 4:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Father: Fudge Stripes go fast in my house too! :-)

March 11, 2008 7:59 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page