March 24, 2008

Everyone is a Winner


With the closing of the 2008 Catholic Blog Awards, the inevitable bunch of sour grapes will be passed around by those that are upset that they did not win, did not place as high as they thought, or thought that someone unworthy was first.

They came to Capernaum and, once inside the house, He began to ask them, "What were you arguing about on the way?"
But they remained silent. They had been discussing among themselves on the way who was the greatest.
Then He sat down, called the Twelve, and said to them, "If anyone wishes to be first, he shall be the last of all and the servant of all."--Mark 9:33-35


Friends, it's the CATHOLIC Blog Awards so be CATHOLIC about it!!! If it's so important for you to be popular, go back to high school. As for me, I'll see you at the "Burn-Out Door" LOL!

But, you see what I'm getting at. I hope.

My Catholic blog brothers and sisters: It is an honor to be among you. There are so many of us and our mission is so important. I know I've mentioned before that online media (blogs, forums, websites etc) was EXTREMELY important to my reversion. I found answers in a community of strangers. Answers that I was not getting from the people around me. Bede, whom I mentioned yesterday, entered the Church at this years Vigil. Bede is a convert from Methodism who'd been lurking on the Catholic Answers forums for a few years. She was a seeker and now she's found her home thanks to the 'New Evangelization'.

Many of you have become friends of correspondence. Some of you live in other countries. I'm always deeply moved when I'm in trouble and ask for prayer that ANYONE even offers-especially people who never even met me in person. I'm including in my praise, those who make the blogs truly great: the readers-some of whom do not have their own blogs but we know them by their comment handles.

We are, many of us, strangers to one another. Perhaps, we will never meet in this life. Pray God our souls will meet in the next.

You are all so important to me. From the blogs with only a few readers a day to the blogs with several thousand readers a day, I'm so grateful for you sharing your joys, pains, sufferings, faith, wisdom, and spirituality with me. I know it's a lot of work to maintain a blog. Just a note to let you all know your efforts are appreciated.

In my humble opinion, the fact that there is such a strong CATHOLIC blog network is an occasion of rejoicing. Even if you feel like, as an individual you are underrated, never underestimate our COLLECTIVE influence and power. Collective includes: YOU!

11 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

You are just too good to be true! I'm verklempft.

(Do you think adoro paid people to vote her into the top ten? Sheesh!)

K
I
D
D
I
N
G

A
G
A
I
N
!

March 24, 2008 12:15 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: What's up with the word art? I hope this visual illustrating your creativity means that you are painting again.

March 24, 2008 12:47 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I think it is harder to read - so when others read the straight lines, they think I was serious, and then if they make the extra effort to read down - they will see I was joking. (Adoro doesn't always know when I'm teassing.)

March 24, 2008 1:05 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

"...especially people who never even met me in person."

I read that as "especially people who MET ME IN PRISON."

ROFLMAO!

March 24, 2008 1:09 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: LOL!

I want you to reduce your consumption of Terry's blogs by 1/2, ok?

March 24, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger elena maria vidal said...

I have come across some really interesting blogs through the Blog Awards that I had not seen before; it is a good way to bring people together.

March 24, 2008 3:13 PM  
Blogger elena maria vidal said...

Also, if people do express some legitimate critique of the contest, we should not automatically assume that they suffer from sour grapes. I have read complaints from people who think that it is not totally fair to pit professional writers against amateurs, and they may have a point there. (Although I think some of the amateur writers are better than many professionals.) Perhaps there should be separate categories?

And even pitting blogs with only a few readers against those who have thousands of hits a day-- most little blogs do not have a chance, especially when the whole thing is determined by popular vote, not by judges with standards and criteria. This does not take away from the fact that it is a fun contest... but maybe it could be improved...just a little.

And to make suggestions should not be taken as a sign that someone is jealous. In my case, I am delighted that NLM and Fr Z won so many of the categories. They deserved to do so, IMHO.

March 24, 2008 4:45 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I commented on this above, but I have not seen "sour grapes" per se; that speaks of jealousy, and I haven't seen that at all. I am disappointed that one person swept most of the categories, for I feel that in that, so many great blogs were excluded from the awards. But I don't see that as the fault of the winner or of the award organizers. I do think improvements can be made that might prevent such a sweep; because the purpose of the awards is to spotlight some great blogs. Not two great blogs in 20 categories. (An exaggeration but you get my point.)

That's not sour grapes to suggest that; it's looking at reality. I'm disappointed that some other blogs were not awarded that I feel should have been. (Not me...I wasn't even close and don't expect to be. IN fact, my readership has fallen off in the last year, I think.) But the awards are fun, and I agree that I always find new blogs to read (is that a good idea?) and I am honestly honored to even be nominated. I don't think any of us do this for the awards..if that was the case, the Catholic blogging community would not be so strong.

Anyway, Terry, are you trying to suggest you're not serious all the time? That's shocking, just SHOCKING I tell you!

And yes, I did pay people. What did you buy with the money I sent YOU?

March 24, 2008 7:31 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Aw, that's cold. And, hey, where's MY check? Where's the love?:-)

Elena and Adoro: I agree that honest criticism is fine and always needed, but on some forums it's degenerated into whining and ad hominem attacks.

March 24, 2008 8:29 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy ~ I just haven't seen it. Such is not worthy of a Christian. Period. Maybe it's just that I don't visit whining blogs, and while I do my share of whining on my own blog, it's not about that! LOL!

And your check is in the mail...it's from a Swiss bank account in Germany through a third party from Nigeria, a rich person who died and wants you to have all his money because his family rejected him.

:-)

March 24, 2008 9:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Well, I'm glad it's not that bank in Bahrain you used last time. That got ugly. :-)

March 25, 2008 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page