March 11, 2008

Be Always Vigilant

I'm at work this morning reading thru the work-related emails and feeds I subscribe to for my job at a large retail chain and the lead story in one of the food industry related blogs I subscribe to is: A COMPLETE DISTORTION OF MONSIGNOR GIANFRANCO GIROTTI'S INTERVIEW IN L'OSSERVATORE ROMANO.

This food blog I subscribe to has absolutely nothing to do with Roman Catholicism but the blog author (who is a highly respected expert in the food industry) wasted no time claiming that "The Vatican has totally redone the list of mortal sins" and, furthermore "placed genetically modified foods on the same level as abortion". He intimated he thought that was ridiculous (If there was a word of truth in it, I'd think so too) and said no wonder the Catholic Church has no credibility since its wasting its time with this junk when our house is so messed up blah, blah, blah. Then, he made some very poorly veiled references to pedophilia-loving clergy, the sex abuse scandal, blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line: He used the "opportunity" to bash the Catholic Church. In the process, he looked like an ignorant bozo since he clearly only read the media distortions of Monsignor's interview and he has no idea what the Church actually teaches.

I started my day on a sour note. You better believe I wrote him an email. I was charitable but I told him I was disapointed that such a highly educated man did not do his homework before speaking and he used his blog to spread misinformation and bias.

I don't know why I should be surprised that anti-Catholicism is everywhere but I am. It always catches me off-guard.

So, how was your day, Gentle Reader?

14 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Well, yesterday I was on my way home from work, en route to get my taxes done.

The radio first played, "The world is burning to the ground", and then I switched stations only to hear "It's the end of the world as we know it..."

March 11, 2008 9:24 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Corrction....the first song I heard has the lyrics, "I believe the world is coming to an end." That's what I meant to say.

March 11, 2008 9:25 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I didn't know John Hagee had a food blog?

It certainly shows (in more ways than one).

Maybe he's a little sore at McCain for denouncing his bigoted views.

March 11, 2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

I subscribe to your blog, Cathy, but this is the first time I have commented. :)
I blogged a little about these "new sins" too. (sigh) what will the media think of next....

March 11, 2008 10:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I'm actually surprised that an industry blog would pay attention - I'm glad you replied to him.

I suppose the industry is afraid of anything that might prohibit genetically modified foods and Frankenstein meat products.

I love how he said "it is no wonder the Catholic Church has no credibility." Evidently there was enough credibility in the news item for him to react with underhanded attacks.

I don't know why I am always surprised at the hatred the world has for the Church - oh, you said that too.

March 11, 2008 10:21 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I have never personally been confronted with anti-Catholicism. If I go roaming around the internet I know it is there.

Cathy – good for you sending him a rebuttal. Too often we are silent when we should be speaking up.

March 12, 2008 10:51 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

It is no wonder the Catholic Church has no credibility.

There's a pretty good chance that that individual is an ex-Catholic. Most people of other religions wouldn't even have bothered to read the misleading article in the first place. But ex-Catholics are always trying to justify their apostasy.

March 12, 2008 11:03 AM  
Blogger Fr. Andrew said...

Adoro-

It sounds like your day had the only two sure things in life: death and taxes!

March 12, 2008 11:36 AM  
Blogger Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Good question!

March 12, 2008 3:41 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

It's amazing how many sites distorted that story!

March 12, 2008 3:57 PM  
Anonymous adoro said...

Fr. Andrew ~ LOL!

Adrienne ~ Anti-Catholicism helped me come back to the Church. I was even once in an online debate at a website I frequented. It was a debate contest, and the topic was...abortion. I was arguing pro-life, and actually quoted the CCC and a few other documents that said it better than I could. A particular woman went off on me, told me to stop pushing my "Catholic dogma" and that SHE had the "armor of Christ" on, etc. I was completely taken aback. And by the way...I wasn't even a practicing Catholic at the time..not really. But I will say this...even people who disagreed with my position defended me from her complete attack.

So while there is a lot of anti-Catholicism out there, often clearer heads will prevail, even if they are not exactly friends of the Church. But hey...it was the first step in sending me back home, so bring on the attacks!

This kind of diatribe is just proof, as someone said, that the Church DOES have credibility...because if she didn't, then there would be no point in "refuting" what she declares, or even allegedly declares.

March 12, 2008 4:41 PM  
Blogger Arkanabar T'verrick Ilarsadin said...

Adoro: I too returned to the faith of my (poorly catechized) childhood as a reesult of defending the Church I didn't particularly believe in against attacks I knew from experience were utterly scurrilous.

March 12, 2008 6:22 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Cathy: Check THIS OUT!!!

Frankenfoods O-rama!

http://www.terradaily.com/2007/080311185412.iras5vzv.html

March 12, 2008 7:41 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ter: I know! Our Governor is a proponent of nanotechnology. At one time, there was talk of funding a lab dedicated to it in the 280 corridor. I don't know what became of that plan. Nanotechnology has possible implications beyond food.

March 13, 2008 6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page