February 11, 2008

Slower Than Molasses in February: Me

One of my Lenten resolutions is to pray each day. I struggle with incorporating daily prayer into my life. I've gotten better but I still could use a lot of work. I've found myself praying the Rosary at least once/day in the car on my way to or from work.

I've shied away from praying the Rosary in the car. I've attempted it before and it would not always go well. "Hail, hey ****##@@@@@ watch it!" "Our [oh, that was a smart lane change, @!#@]Father" You get the picture. Too much profanity, not enough piety.

This Lent, I tried it again and I don't know what it is, but it's actually going very well so far! Not sure if it's persistence, Our Lady's intercession, or my meds are working (Kidding!) Maybe all of the above?

Friday and today were really tough days at work. In fact, this week is looking fierce. A project that I keep thinking is done, keeps coming back around. I had to work late Friday and today. I prayed my Rosary in the a.m. and then when I got in my car to go home I grabbed it again and said "Oh, I need you right now!" The prayer must be working because I was shockingly NOT CRANKY today. Friends, this is a miracle since I'm notoriously cranky most of the time. Well, if you read this blog that's not a news flash is it? LOL!

Maybe there is really something to this Rosary thing after all? :-) I know, some of you out there are going: "Yeah, duh! I keep telling you, Cathy, use it, don't just carry it around!"

Another fine example of my spiritual immaturity and slowness of comprehension.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

LJ LJ LJ

I've shied away from praying the Rosary in the car. I've attempted it before and it would not always go well. "Hail, hey ****##@@@@@ watch it!" "Our [oh, that was a smart lane change, @!#@]Father" You get the picture. Too much profanity, not enough piety.

Hey, Ms. Cathy, have you planted a bug in my car?

February 11, 2008 8:18 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

It's all about finding the time most opportune for your prayer life. I find myself praying and meditating amid the hustle and bustle of work. It’s as if part of my brain is programmed to deal with the outside world while some part of my consciousness stays focused on the sacred.

And yes, I , too, get cranky when the pressure builds.

Tom

February 11, 2008 9:47 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I've been praying the rosary en route to work now for a couple years. There are some days that I don't do so, but most often, now, it is reflex. And the day seems strange if I don't follow through and do it.

Sometimes I'll think I'll do it in the adoration chapel at work, but that never happens. I don't always manage to get to the adoration chapel, sometimes only spend a couple minutes in the church near the tabernacle.

So the car it is. And I've noticed I'm decidedly less cranky about bad driving now. Because I got really sick of apologizing to God for interrupting a prayer with, "You freakin' jerk!"

It's not like I could claim Tourette's

February 11, 2008 9:53 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: You got me. Can I make a recommendation? Please stop singing "Gather Us In" in your car. Thanks!

Tom: I agree.

Adoro: I know you've been doing it for a while. I admire you for it. It is a good practice. I'm the one with tourettes! :-)

February 12, 2008 6:15 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Cathy: How 'bout if I am singing "Gather Us In" in my best chant baritone?

February 12, 2008 12:48 PM  
Anonymous Tom and Katie said...

Omigosh! I just got that - molasses in February. The molasses wouldn't flow well if it was cold - right? That is funny though, because in the spring when it's really cold like, the maple syrup flows like water - it comes right out of the trees you know. Flows like water right into Aunt Jemima bottles. I'm not sure how it gets in the Maypo though - there is probably some sort Keebler elf trick to that. Go figure.

February 12, 2008 6:55 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Welllll...you would bring some much needed class to a bad song.

TomKat: You blinded me with science.

February 12, 2008 8:17 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

I can't pray the Rosary in the car. I can't meditate on the mystery and it becomes vain repetition.

I've used it to calm myself for sleep but that has had the unfortunate affect of making me fall asleep, no matter what time of day, by the time the First Mystery is half over because my brain thinks Rosary = sleep.

When I have days off I play a tape of the Divine Mercy chaplet while I do dishes and tidy the kitchen. THAT seems to work and I can offer up the work for souls in purgtory.

February 13, 2008 7:46 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Angela: I have to think that having the words of God and Our Lady on your lips as you fall asleep is not a bad thing. A wise priest I know says its better to fall asleep in the presence of the Lord then not be there at all. It's the safest place you could ever want to be when you are at your most vulnerable-in sleep.

February 13, 2008 8:21 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Angela:

Do a search on "Scriptural Rosary."

That is saying the Rosary where the mysteries are the same as usual, but each Hail Mary has a particular action that occurred during the Agony in the Garden, Scourging at the Pillar, Crowning with Thorns, etc.

I find it really helps me to concentrate better. I used to have your problem.

And the beauty of it is that you can make up the "themes" yourself.

For example, for the "Agony in the Garden" I meditation on Peter, James and John accompanying Jesus to the Garden, Jesus saying to the Father, Take this cup, but if not My Will, let Yours be Done, Jesus tempted by the Devil, etc.

February 13, 2008 8:27 PM  
Anonymous Georgette said...

Cathy,
Have you tried an audio rosary on cassette or CD?

I used to love to drive with my rosary cassette playing...it's a great way to keep from getting distracted.

February 15, 2008 11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page