February 02, 2008

Lost

Embarassing moment #(well, I've long since lost track)

I'm a big fan of the T.V. show Lost . It's the only show I record if I'm not home to watch it "live". A former co-worker and I still exchange emails with our current thoughts on the show, opinions on the most recent episode, and our theories. Lost is a show that I think you can just sit down and watch each episode, but to really appreciate the complexity of its construction and, its best point, the characterizations, you have to stick with it for a while. I've been watching it from Day One and so has my buddy.

The Season 4 premiere was Thursday night and I emailed my buddy afterwards. He replied back. I responded. Then, I realized, to my chagrin, that somewhere along the line I had inadvertently included the email box for the Catholic Spirit in my address line.

Ooops! I, actually, laughed pretty hard. They are probably tired of seeing my usual rantings at the Spirit. Hopefully, someone got a good laugh at my expense!

To whoever at the Spirit saw the emails: I meant what I said in my reply to you after I realized my boo-boo. I'd be curious to hear your theories. Who do you think Jacob is? Who are the Oceanic 6? We already now who 3 of them are.

Thank you, Lord, for making me a public goofball.

Speaking of lost, there was a letter in the Pioneer Press this week that made me sad. You can read it here . It's a letter from a parent complaining that the Church is oppressing her lesbian daughter and that no one, in particular, the Archbishop can tell her it's a mortal sin to love her daughter and work for justice on her behalf. I assume by "justice" on her daughters behalf she's probably talking about trying to overturn centuries of teachings to make it say it's ok if her daughter is practicing lesbian sexuality.

What do you say to people like this parent? What should you say?

It is unclear in the letter if this parent is actually a Roman Catholic. We can assume that, I suppose, but I'm not sure I would. There are a lot of non-Catholics around (not even nominal Catholics) who are upset that the Catholic Church teaches that the practice of homosexuality is sinful and same-sex "marriage" is wrong. There are folks who want to change or silence anyone, anything, and everyone who does not go along with their agenda. If they can't do that persuasively, then they will try to mandate it, legislatively.

Let's assume for the remainder of this post, that the letter writer is Catholic. What do you say to people like this? What should you say?

Is your first response, if you knew that the letter writer was Catholic: "Don't let the door hit you in the a--!"

My response, before I was sad, was exactly that. I'm not entirely sure I'm sad for this woman or sad for my pathetic self.

I'm ashamed to say that I think I've become very smug lately. I think that because I've reverted from my dissidenthood that I'm better than those who are still stuck there. I think I've had too much snark on this blog and not enough charity. I've lost the reasons that I started this blog in the first place. My main reason for starting this blog was to try and persuade the dissidents, like I used to be, about the Truth of Christ as handed on to us via the Magisterium of the Roman Catholic Church. I don't think I've been consistently doing so. One of my resolutions going forward is to get back to the basics.

If I wrote a letter in reply it would look like this:

Mrs. Smith (the letter writer): No one is claiming that you don't love your child. No one is claiming it is sinful to love your child. Certainly, the Archbishop has never said that. I'd even be so bold as to say, I can't see His Excellency EVER saying that because I can't see ANY child of God making such a hateful statement.

Does love mean you must be blind to sin? Death Row is full of people who are loved by someone. Just because you love someone does not mean you have to accept, quietly, their sinful behaviors.

That's why we, as Catholics, yes, me, too, love you, Mrs. Smith. We love you even though, we believe with every fibre of our being that you are wrong in equating love with acceptance of acts that we know with certainty are wrong. We love your daughter, too, even though we do not accept or condone some of her behaviors.

It is, however, sinful to refuse to accept the teachings of Christ. The Archbishop is doing the same duty all of us Catholics have, of gently reminding you, of what the teachings are. If by working for "justice" you mean trying to overturn centuries of Christ's teachings so that the Church will say its o.k. that your daughter is a practicing lesbian, then, yes, that IS sinful. You are making a public statement that you are not in communion. The Church does not separate anyone from Christ. The Archbishop does not separate anyone from Christ. WE separate ourselves from Christ when we become our own Church because we think we have the authority to decide what is right or wrong. Any authority we have comes from God. I, you, the Archbishop, none of us, have any authority of our own.

I know these are tough words to get around. I refused and denied them for decades. Since my reversion, I can honestly say I have never known such peace. Sure, there are tough times, but I know what to do to get myself right. Christ and His Church give us the tools that we need.

God bless you. You and your family are in my prayers.

Cathy

13 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Very well said!!

February 02, 2008 10:49 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

That is a nice response to the woman.

February 03, 2008 9:19 AM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Since the widespread use and acceptance of articifial birth control has made so many sex acts sterile then no wonder the homosexual and lesbian population think what they are doing is fine with their own sterile sex acts. We need to get back to basics and rediscover what sex is really about - unity and procreation. Even if these people were atheists there is the Natural Law - everything on the planet that is living - people, plants, animals - depend on the male/female combo to continue.

My aunt thinks she has SSA and has had a GF for 15 years. However I think this is because she finally gave up on men because they hurt her so badly. It seemed safer for her to be with a woman. *sigh*

February 03, 2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

February 03, 2008 1:55 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Oh, and I forgot to mention that marriage and the marital act is to image the Trinity - love so generous in it's giving that another person comes to life. Those with SSA simply cannot image this in their relationships with their partner.

February 03, 2008 1:55 PM  
Anonymous adoro said...

There are a couple animals and plants that procreate without the assistance of another gender. I can't remember the term, but just be aware the SSA crowd will jump on you if you forget that fact. Guaranteed they can tell you genus and species and the exact form of replication those creatures use.

But....our counter to that is human dignity. Jesus did not become a frog or a plant, he became a human man, and in that flesh, in his humanity, he suffered all that we do. He dignified the flesh by becoming one of us, and dignified suffering by dying horribly and then resurrecting, allowing us to penetrate the veil. We will not see animals and plants on the other side, but only humanity, those who have been freed by Jesus Christ.

And those who CHOOSE not to be freed by Him for they reject Him in favor of their own preferences hurt God terribly by denying their own dignity...and risk eternal seperation from God, better known as "Hell".

Hell isn't a place, it's a condition, and we choose it freely.

Sorry, that was a big tangent.

February 03, 2008 3:40 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Well,

Lost is the only network show I watch. So I really missed it and am glad it's back.

I don't know who Jacob is.

And, as for the letter writer--I can't have no lovin', I'm not married. So it's just not fair, manifestly unjust that SSA folks are "allowed" too--work for justice on my part and get people to quit sleeping around because they want to!

February 03, 2008 3:41 PM  
Blogger Geometricus said...

I love your response, because only you could give it.

Here's what I would add, from my own experience: I was hurt by my dad leaving my mom when I was ten, but I still chose to love my dad. Does that mean I have to "work for justice" and defend his right to leave my mom for other women?

I am constantly tempted to look at other women whose bodies I find attractive. I have been this way since I was FIVE years old (ha! beat your daughter by 2 years). By your reasoning, my loved ones should fight "the man" (i.e. the Catholic Church and the new arch) for my right to ignore my wife and fraternize with whomever I wish, just like my dad did!

February 03, 2008 6:59 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Geometricus: Well stated.

February 03, 2008 7:14 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I don't watch Lost, but can almost relate to sending e-mails to folks I didn't mean to send them to. I have had the moment of panic when I thought I did!

Kind of along the same lines, my husband's cousin has diabetes. Hubby's aunt, who I used to be very close to, told me one day that even though she knew I was Catholic and didn't agree with embryonic stem cell research, when something causes your child to suffer, you're willing to do whatever it takes to help them. Her tone was very hostile and wasn't one you'd expect of a loving mother trying to help her child.

How quickly she forgets my family history and the medical situations my children also faced, especially my daughter. Also, my husband's family has a long history of diabetes and heart disease, so future research in these areas using stem cell research could possibly benefit them too. Despite this, I still don't agree or support embryonic stem cell research.

The other sad thing is that my hubby's cousin's diabetes could be controlled with lifestyle changes. He has made zero effort in this area, however, so instead my husband's aunt sides with embryonic stem cell research.

February 05, 2008 7:55 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

swissmiss: Thanks for sharing that story. I think about what if embryonic stem cells might have saved my Mom and brother from dying of cancer. Would I endorse it then? The answer is no. I don't think you can use evil to do good. It doesn't work that way. Eventually, you end up corrupting everything with it. Once you open the door to evil, it's hard to shut it. Look at once abortion became law how that has led to the encouragement of gender selection embryo reduction, assisted suicide. It's out of control. Well, I shouldn't say that, it could be controlled if more people accepted that it's evil.

Whew! That was a long comment! :-)

February 05, 2008 9:27 PM  
Anonymous Georgette said...

Hey Cathy! I'm a bit late jumping on the comments here That is a great letter-- the best approach is always charity.

I've found a really quick way of approaching this subject, by saying something like, "Well, if it were up to me, or the Archbishop, or even up to the Church, then those rules could be changed. But we can't change them cuz they're not our rules. They're God's absolutes. He gave the Laws and now it's up to us to decide, to just trust Him by obeying Him --and see what He will do for us."

A blessed and holy Lent to you!

February 08, 2008 4:53 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Georgette. Same to you!

February 08, 2008 6:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page