February 29, 2008

Deep Thoughts: Brief Rants with Cathy

Gentle Reader: It’s been a tough week. I read some of my buddy’s blogs and it seems like I’m not the only one having a tough time. I think the Cross should feel lighter since it seems like so many of us are carrying it these days. Either I have the heavy end or I’m only using one hand because it sure doesn’t feel very light to me. I’m so glad I’ve really been emphasizing daily prayer this Lent. I think it’s helping me get me thru and keeping me from despair, and Satanic attack

Anyway, I have a couple of brief rants that I’ve been holding in for a while because I have not had a lot of time this week to blog. Sorry, I know how some of you love my rants. I hate to deprive you of them even if they may be somewhat undeveloped. LOL!

The Jesus Would Have Ordained Women Rant

Back in my dissident days, I’d frequently hear people say that the Catholic Church should ordain women because:


1) Jesus would have directly ordained women but he wanted to go along with the time he lived in which was a very patriarchal society. He thought it would help spread his message if he did not have women Apostles.

2) Jesus really meant to do it, so we should.


I was never really a strong advocate for women’s ordination-even in my dissident era. I think it was because for a long time I could not have cared less about the Church-any Church-to get excited about much of anything.


My question to people who say #1 and #2 is basically this: “Are you suggesting that Jesus caved into political and societal pressure?”

Did Jesus cave in to political and social pressure when He healed on the Sabbath? Did Jesus weaken His message in response to the people who were mumbling against Him and sought His Death? Did Jesus cave into social pressure when He chased the moneychangers out the Temple ? Did Jesus cave into political and social pressure when He went to the Cross?

Also, regarding #2 are you presuming to know the mind of The Christ? Really, how arrogant is that?

Women were disciples-yes. Women were essential to the Early Church and still are to the modern Church. However, only Twelve MEN were named Apostles. To suggest that Jesus named only men to be His Apostles because He conformed is ludicrous. To even suggest He conformed, period, is ludicrous. The very essence of His being and our Faith that He founded is non-comformity. Is it easy to be a Christian? Has it ever been? I find it amusing that the same folks who praise Jesus because He was a non-comformist (He spoke with women, He consorted with sinners) make Him into a conformist when He did or did not do something that they want.

The Kids Should Not Go to Confession Rant


The same folks who bring us the “No One Should Go To Confession-Especially Me” heresy usually come up with this one. I mean, they aren’t going to Confession anyway so why should their children? These are the people that get really outraged when you dare to inform them that their kids are not going receive First Holy Communion without going to First Confession beforehand. “HELLO, is there anybody out there?” It makes absolutely no sense to tell people that you can receive Communion (The Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Our Lord, Jesus Christ) with a possible stain on your soul. Why in the world would you start kids with that idea? No wonder we have so many Catholics who think anyone is entitled to Communion. They think there is no such thing as sin so why confess? There’s apparently nothing to say. “Don’t worry, be happy!” Whatever.


The red herring these folks will throw out is: “Kids are not capable of sin so why scare them and subject them to that lunacy”. Oh, really? I look back and I’m 100% sure I was not sin free as a child. Or, they will say: “It’s absurd to have kids in the booth telling Father they hit their sibling or that they lied to their Aunt. Kids will be kids” What you are saying, then, is it’s ok for siblings to wail on each other and lie. I’m curious if you bother to teach your child table manners or that swearing is unacceptable behavior? Don’t we teach children so that they will carry desirable behaviors and practices into adulthood? Why not encourage them to start Confession early? Do you want your kid to undergo the marathon 1-hour Confession session I did when I finally returned to Holy Church ? And that 1-hour was not even all of it-that was just the first round. Or, have you just thrown in the towel on them being an actual practicing Catholic? Or, is it that you are afraid your child is going to ask you why you don’t go to Confession? Do you care that your answer may reveal more about your perspective on Faith than you care to share? Really, you don’t have to bother answering. Actions, speak louder than words. No one I knew as a child regularly went to Confession. The message to me was clear: you don’t have to. Nor was it emphasized in CCD (which was a complete joke). But, we always went up for Communion anyway. I had no concept of the Real Presence for over 30 years either. Why are we teaching our kids to be cultural Catholics? Why are we ashamed of the Faith we profess? Why are you bothering? If you don’t care, if you really don’t care, why are you even going thru the motions? Pull your kid out of Sacramental formation and send them to band camp instead.

I know I’m being harsh and I know someone is going to say: “Well you don’t have kids” or “You don’t teach kids” I’m calling it like I see it. I lived it.

16 Comments:

Blogger Ma Beck said...

Right on. You don't have to have kids to have an understanding of the damaging effects of sin upon the soul.

(Not to mention that it's A RULE that CONFESSION comes first. Period. No way around it.)

February 29, 2008 7:12 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Good post. I know, doesn't it all become very tiresome!

February 29, 2008 9:09 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Amen.

And kids know when they've done something wrong. If you are are truly a parent, you see it.

My goodness, I see it in my DOG for goodness sake! And she doesn't have any moral understanding...it's all behavioral.

Kids...they have moral understanding. And if they don't start confessing their sin of hitting their sibling when they are six or 7, well, they won't even recognize it as a sin when they're 10!

Besides...the parishes in this Archd. are in disobedience to the Archibship if they are still handling First Confessions in 5th grade instead of 2nd.

On women...yeah. Jesus freed women from having to marry fat hairy ugly pagan men and be their property. He wasn't real interested in social mores.

February 29, 2008 10:18 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Don't get me started on CCD. The first - 6th graders color pictures and learn singy songies.

The ONLY time they learn anything is when another older (like me) lady prepares them for first Holy Communion.

I get them in 7th grade and it is almost hopeless. One bright ray is one of my 7th graders who has just come to live with Grandma and Grandpa (parental problems.)

He will be baptized on Easter and receive first Holy Communion hence no first confession. We just had a retreat and when the kids went to confession he was all over me wanting to go to confession. I started to explain why he "couldn't" go to confession and he just said, "but I want to go to confession." I looked into his eyes and said "go to confession." I did make sure he told the priest he was going to be baptized on Easter. Figured Father could handle the situation and make it like a "practice confession" or some such thing.

How often do we have kids begging to go to confession?? Who was I to say no. As our private classes on Holy Eucharist and Confession progress we will get it sorted out.

Stop by - I have some flowers for you:)

February 29, 2008 10:23 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

In the ancient world, and in Classical Antiquity, two, and only two, religions didn't have priestesses: Judaisism and Catholicism.

If Jesus had meant to go along with the world around him--he would have ordained women.

He didn't, on either count. We shouldn't. If the Pope decided to ordain women--it would be primafascia proff that he was an anti-pope.

March 01, 2008 1:40 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Proof, not proff! Prima Fascia, Not primafascia!

Sorry--I'm ignorant!

March 01, 2008 1:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prima Facie

:-)

And you're NOT ignorant. It's just Saturday.

March 01, 2008 2:42 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Along the same lines, since my kids are too young for confession and communion, I get people telling me I shouldn't even take them to Mass. Huh? It's the "it's more trouble than it's worth" argument. Granted, God really has a sense of humor when it comes to getting kids to behave in Mass, but to just kick start a way of life when the kids hit the age of reason misses the whole point. Catholicism isn't just a Sunday thing or a "now you're old enough" thing. It should be part of our lives every day. My kids know basic stuff, like the Sign of the Cross, some prayers, who Jesus is, who Mary is, who some of the saints are, who Moses, Abraham and Noah are, what happens at Mass, why we are at Mass, etc. If kids are old enough to learn to read and write (or play video games!), then they are certainly old enough to grasp religion. My generation, in general, had abysmally poor catechesis and I don't understand why we would want the same for our children.

March 01, 2008 3:33 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I get so moved by all you people and your religious thoughts and experiences. Especially those involving children.

I really love to sit where I can see young children. And I prayer especially hard for them as I am looking at the future of the Church.

And I pray that we do a much better job of educating them about God than we did for most of their parents.

March 01, 2008 4:47 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Redneck: You are not ignorant. That's why I never call you as such. You have given some very deeply profound comments on this blog and your presence is much appreciated.

Swissmiss: I'm so happy that you do that. I'm always happy to see kids in Church-like Ray.

Ray: I have to think that you have seen a lot in your life. I'm glad you are here to enjoy the revolution! :-) and share your wisdom with me and all of us.

March 01, 2008 6:09 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I love seeing kids in church. And I am grateful that Mom took us to Mass before we could receive the Sacraments...it made their reception more meaningful. And it exposed us to God's grace from a very early age. That's the way it SHOULD be!


A lot of these Protestant mega-churches are adult-only affairs, very entertainment-oriented, and they have nurseries and other things for the children.

If you find a Catholic parish that does the same thing, run away...far away! Because we know that during Mass, Heaven touchs earth, we are in the actual presence of God, in teh company of the Saints and Angels, and we'd BETTER desire that children be present, otherwise we're disobeying Christ's command, "Let the children come unto me and do not prevent them. For it such as these to whom the Kingdom belongs". (sorry, paraphrased) I think It's from Mark 9?

Anyway, I'm not talking about Catholic parishes that have small nurseries, because, after all, I do support the right of a frazzled parent to attend Mass and to be able to focus on it so as to be strengthened by the Word and Sacrament.

I think you all know what I mean...there is such a thing as a balance. And I'll admit that if I was a Mom, I might want to make use of the nursery on occasion. Mercy on parents!

March 01, 2008 6:40 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

Nice rant!

Whether you have kids or not you did go through CCD and you know how utterly lacking the instruction was.

March 01, 2008 7:37 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I know what you mean and I know you know it. :-)

Angela: True. However, I do know that "Michael Rowed the Boat Ashore" But, that's a tune so theologically profound that I have yet to grasp its significance.

March 02, 2008 1:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo, Miss Cathy. I've loved your comments for many months now.

We are exploring colleges for one of my dd's (gasp, it's Luther) and an upcoming speaker claims to be a Roman Catholic priest. Yes, SHE claims to be a Roman Catholic priest.
Yup, I think we'll skip this college visit.

March 02, 2008 2:32 PM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

St. Joseph the Worker parish. My cousin's kids go there and don't go to confession before First Holy Communion. When their grandma called the parish office about it, they chewed her out for questioning their practice.

From their website:
"Students at St. Joseph the Worker typically prepare for and receive the sacrament of Reconciliation during 4th grade. During their Faith Formation classes, each student is given a more in-depth understanding of the Sacrament of Reconciliation and is readied to receive the sacrament individually with a priest in the spring of 4th grade."

Yup, 4TH GRADE...waaaay after their FHC in 2ND GRADE. How can they still do this?

March 04, 2008 9:28 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Crazy Mama: Sounds to me like the Chancery should be told by their grandma what happened-perhaps fortified by their actual website verbiage. No way is that ok.

March 05, 2008 6:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page