February 03, 2008

Charity


Epistle for Quinquagesima Sunday (1962 calendar)

Brethren: If I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing. Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away. When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know I part; but then I shall know even as I am known. And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity. (1 Corinthians 13:1-13)

This Scriptural passage has long been one of my favorites. I don't think I've ever really understood it. I'm not saying that I understand it now, but patterns are emerging. In light of yesterday's post, I found this very timely. I needed to hear it so I went to an extraordinary form of the Mass today where I know they follow the old calendar of readings.

Recently, I've had 3 different Confessors recommend that I pray for an increase in charity. Perhaps, it's finally all sinking in. I may be quick-witted but I'm slower than molasses spiritually.

10 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Yeah. I know. I should have gone to the TLM myself. I think I might move to a desert location without any contact with people. Or maybe I should just become an alcholic or shoot heroin or something.

February 03, 2008 2:19 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I haven't done diddly for Lent in a very long time. I think it's about time.

Considering all the free time I have, I should be doing something.

February 03, 2008 4:10 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Well, I see Terry and Ray are starting the self-flagellation a tad early.

February 03, 2008 6:16 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

rofl

February 03, 2008 7:58 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Yeah - we're twins but the b@$!@&* won't admit it. Gosh! I was hoping he would have showed up on my door step today.

February 03, 2008 8:00 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

This is one of the most beautiful readings in Scripture. There is a man in my parish who recites it by heart when it's his turn to read it.

February 03, 2008 8:15 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I was joking Ray - just joking... everything is a joke to me today.

February 03, 2008 10:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Yeah - we're twins but the b@$!@&* won't admit it.

Ter: Do you blame him?

:-)

February 04, 2008 6:03 AM  
Blogger Mac McLernon said...

Hi Cathy... just thought I'd pop over and say hallo (I can rarely resist following up links from my combox!)

February 04, 2008 6:21 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Mac: Welcome!

Cheers,
Cathy

February 04, 2008 6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page