January 19, 2008

Penitential Weekend/Life Events



Praised Be Jesus Christ!

Greetings from Frostbite Falls!

I want to thank, yet again, all the kind people who left comments of encouragement and prayerful wishes on this blog and via email. I've been tackling my issues, head on, one at a time over the last several days. I'm not all the way back yet but close.

I decided to have a pentitential plan for the next several days.

First, I decided I'd smear myelf with dog feces, don Zubaz and a leopard print t-shirt and sit in a pile of ashes in the middle of the ice on Como Lake with a sign saying: "I stink and I sin"

But, it's too blasted cold these days so I abandoned that plan. Plus, the fishing on Como Lake is poor so I couldn't even multi-task and ice fish at the same time as I performed my public penance.

Adoro thought my plan was sound. But, she was out skiing yesterday and freezing her eyeballs off on what passes for a mountain around here so how reliable can she be to give good advice? However, she did offer me the use of the ashes from her Weber grill-most thoughtful of her. (She's going to come by here and hit me-just wait for it! LOL!)

My second plan was to go over to the Wisdom Ways Center, run by the "adventurous" Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet, and do some drum making, spiritual dancing, yoga, centering prayer and journaling. Maybe, I can even get my palm read! (Meow)

I came to my senses and realized the Church has already given me tried and true tools that may produce the desired result without me having to make a fool out of myself.

I decided that as the Black Anniversary of legal abortion approaches this week (January 22nd) I would spend the days leading up to it praying for a respect for the sanctity of human life from conception to natural death. I still plan to do some specific forms of penance on Tuesday itself but I ramped it up a litle due to my current state in life.

My weekend plans involve penance and acts of mercy. I plan to go to Confession (be ready, Father!), Mass, Adoration, and Vespers on Sunday. I woke up this morning and decided to fast today. I plan to do a lot of prayer and I plan to curl up with The Good Book. I'll be giving alms and praying for the dead. I go to Calvary Cemetary, a huge Catholic cemetary near my house, and I pick a name and pray for that Catholic soul.

That's what I'm up to.

Speaking of life, on Tuesday, January 22nd, the big March for Life takes place at Noon at the State Capital in St. Paul. I can't make it but I will unite myself in prayer. I hope you can make it or join them in prayer from wherever you are.

On Feb. 23rd there is a Pro-Life Conference at the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, MN from 8 to 4:15 p.m. FFI: (651) 485-2313

Pro-Life Action Ministries is, reportedly, having a 40-days for Life prayer vigil to end abortions at Regions Hospital beginning on Feb. 7th and ending on March 15th. I saw it mentioned in the Catholic Spirit but I don't see an organized sign-up anywhere. I've also read they are having an all-day vigil on Good Friday, March 21st. I think these events are still sketchy at this point so check plam.org for details.

The annual Good Friday prayer vigil in front the Highland Park (Ford Parkway in St. Paul) Planned Parenthood (an abortion location) will probably take place too. I look forward to a year when we don't have to have these vigils. I look foward to a time when we can just give thanks to God that human life is respected and valued in all its forms.

Why am I mentioning all these life events now? If you are like me and need to plan ahead, that's why I'm mentioning it all now!

God bless you. I, regularly, remember you in my prayers.

13 Comments:

Anonymous adoro said...

Um...I already used up my ashes on my own penance. But if I grill again before spring, you're welcome to use whatever ashes I have.

January 19, 2008 12:52 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

This plan sounds good! As a little encouragement, I will pass along this bit of encouragement - it's what girls used to write in each other's year books...

"2 good
2 go
4 boys."

I have no idea what it means.

January 19, 2008 1:33 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I thought you grilled year 'round?

Ter: Deep. Huh?

January 19, 2008 3:10 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

My grandma is at Calvary Cemetary so you can save a trip and just pray for her:)

January 19, 2008 5:13 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Sounds like you are in a better mood! Hope you confession went well and father survived :)

Am sure there are many in Calvary (I have some family there too) who have no one to pray for them. It's a wonderful thing to pray for them like you do.

I had always heard:

2 good
2 be
---------
4 gotten

(which is what you are doing when you pray for those in Calvary!)

January 19, 2008 7:01 PM  
Blogger Angela M. said...

When I saw the "meow" I knew you were on your way back! Love ya!

January 19, 2008 8:07 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Cathy ~ Well, as you know, I'm a traditionalist. Therefore, in order to create ashes, I use charcoal when grilling.

Well, at around 45 degrees, the charcoal in my little smokey joe gets cool too fast. I'm pretty sure that, if I tried to grill with charcoal now, the fire would freeze.

That's where people with propane grills have more luck in winter. While it's still too cold for the propane flashpoint, once it's going, it's a constant temp according to how it's adjusted.

Charoal is more challenging. Open flame is ok, though, but you have to hold your meat in it before the flame freezes and sticks to the meat.

There's nothing so annoying as frozen fire. Can't do a THING with it.

Glad you didn't kill Father with your confession. He's tough: he can withstand it!

You know, I once had a friend who kept telling me she did something awful, and wouldn't tell me what happened. But the effects were so ingrained in her life that finally she had to tell me. But she was terrified; she kept telling me that I wouldn't be her friend anymore, that I would hate her, I'd be disappinted in her, etc. Seriously, I couldn't imagine what this friend could possibly do that would make me hate her as she described. And really, she was terrified.

Finally, because a situation forced it, she told me what she did: she got a DUI. And then revealed the circumstances.

My reaction: "Is that all?"

I didn't hate her. And I wasn't really disappointed. In fact, I was GRATEFUL because the incident change her life. A few years prior she'd gotten trashed at a bar and decided she was driving home even though we begged her to wait. We had a friend who would drive us all home. We had a place to leave her car. But she left, and she left us there. We were terrified. I was crying my eyes out.

The DUI may have saved her life, and may have saved the lives of others.

I didn't hate her; I loved her just as much as I had before. Because she was my friend, because I'm a wreck of a human being, too, and becaus her consequences made her a better person.

Disappointed, no. Embarassed with her? Yes. Because I know how DUI's work. It's humiliating, and can be dehumanizing, depending on who is on the "other side."

Cathy, sweetie, no matter what you do, you aren't a disappointment to God. He cannot be taken by surprise. He knew what you were going to do before you did it, and all he cares about is whether you come back to him.

God has NEVER, in his history, spurned a contrite heart. Never. Trust me on this, or do you need me to send you my paper on mercy again?

Thanks for being my friend. I learn a lot from you.

January 19, 2008 8:20 PM  
Blogger a thorn in the pew said...

I have been praying for you. I was checking to see if you felt a bit better. I found something a friend sent that may give you something to ponder on:
http://athorninthepew.blogspot.com/2008/01/meeting-god-in-forest.html

January 19, 2008 8:35 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

You continue to be in my thoughts and prayers! I'll e-mail you as well, take care Cath.

January 19, 2008 9:34 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I tells ya Cathy's back!!

You sound better, so I hope you're feeling as good as you sound. Thanks for mentioning all the prolife events. I, too, look forward to the day when these types of observances are no longer necessary.

Hope you continue of your journey to recovery:0)

In my prayers,
Tom

January 20, 2008 12:47 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm on my way back. I'm glad several of you picked up on my *meow* as a 'sign' of my increasing health. LOL!

Adrienne: I did not know that. I did make the trip and I picked a set of neglected graves at the very back and prayed for them. I will pray for your Grandma and your relatives too, Swiss Miss!

Adrienne and Swiss Miss: If you know where your relatives are buried and want someone to decorate their graves at certain times of the year, let me know. I'd be happy to do it. I live only 2 very short blocks from the cemetary. Send me an email if you are interested: cathyofalex@gmail.com

Adoro: I knew you were a trad with the grilling. I am too. Father was still "ticking" when I left the Confessional yesterday. Funny, I thought he was too easy on me with the penance. But, isn't it true that sometimes no one, not even God, is as hard on us as we are on ourselves?

January 20, 2008 1:42 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Yeah, dear, that's the definition of "mercy". You just experienced it. Isn't it AWESOME!?

January 20, 2008 3:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Amen.

January 20, 2008 7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page