December 01, 2007

Tales for the Kiddies


Terry's been telling some "uplifting" holiday stories lately. I thought that sounds like a fine idea!

*throat clearing*

Draw closer, my children, to the fire and have another cup of hot cocoa. When I was a young chickie, not much older then you are now, my Mom and her Dad used to entertain us with Tales of Krampus. I'm sure it was because my Grandfather was an immigrant from Poland. Krampus is a popular Yuletide character in the lands of Germany, Poland, Austria, Hungary and the Czech Republic. Krampus is a sidekick of St. Nikolaus. Yes, you probably all know St. Nick as Santa Claus!

Krampus is a rather sad and neglected character. I'm sure Krampus has built up a healthy dose of rage these days since he's so ignored. But, I bet "business" is good for Krampus these days, my kiddies. Oh, yes, indeed, business is good. Uh-hum, where was I? Oh, yes.

If you aren't a good child during Advent and if you don't say your prayers, Krampus is going to come in the night, put you in his sack and take you away. We will never see you again. If he's feeling merciful, he may decide to leave you with us. But, you will get a stick and an onion as Christmas gifts. The stick is to beat you. The onion is to rub in your eyes.

Sweet dreams. Good night.

5 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

What a sweet lovely mom you'll make someday... I just bet your kids will even call you "Mommie Dearest"!

"Tina - get the axe!"

December 01, 2007 10:10 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Okay, Terry has put me on notice. While visiting his blog I admitted to being a bit of a smart alec and a prankster. In Christmas terms, I've been a bad weetle boy. But that was just until one second ago. Tomorrow begins Advent, so if I'm good I have a chance to escape this dreaded fate, correct? Please let me know. I'm wearing shoulder pads, helmets, hip pads, knee pads, thigh pads, and a tailbone pads (football gear) incase I don't stand I chance:0(

Oh, I’m also wearing sunglasses!

Jittery,
Tom

December 01, 2007 11:34 PM  
Blogger Laura The Crazy Mama said...

I've never heard of Krampus but we sure got the STICK! Sometimes, it was really more of a branch (we always got candy, though). I'll have to round up some good Krampus stories for my kids, they could use some "straightening out" before they get spoiled by presents this Christmas (by their relatives, not me!).

December 02, 2007 12:54 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Ter.

Tom: How old are you? I thought you were, at least, 20? LOL! I guess some guys never forget the healthy fear of their Mommas.

Laura: Glad to help with the parenting! LOL!

December 02, 2007 9:11 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Sounds like the Christmas Bogeyman! Will have to keep this idea close at hand. Maybe I should check Amazon for the book. After my son's behavior at Mass yesterday, he may not get any visits from St. Nick until he's got kids of his own!!!

December 03, 2007 3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page