December 29, 2007

Pretini and Madame Vigee-LeBrun

This is a fun print:


Mario Giacomelli, Pretini, Italy c. 1962

It's currently on view at the Minneapolis Institute of Arts as part of the Search to See, Part II: Photographs from the Collection of Frederic B. Scheel thru March 30 in the Harrison Photography Gallery.

IMHO, the MIA has one of the best photography collections in the world. Well worth a visit if you've never been.

The MIA just acquired this pastel by Elisabeth Louise Vigee-LeBrun, Vue de lac du Challes au Mont



I thought of Elena Maria Vidal when I saw this pastel. Madame Vigee-LeBrun is best known for her oil portraits of Marie Antoinette. Vigee-LeBrun painted Marie Antoinette's portrait 30 times. Little is known about Vigee-LeBrun's landscapes or her work in pastels which is part of what makes the acquisition of Vue de lac Challes au Mont so exciting. On February 14th, Joseph Baillio, a scholar and biographer of Vigee-LeBrun's who is working on the definitive catalogue of her work, will be giving a lecture at the MIA at 11:00 a.m in the Pillsbury Auditorium. The lecture is free and open to the public. I'm going to try to run over there for my lunch hour if I can manage it.

8 Comments:

Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

One of the most beautiful (religious) paintings I've ever seen is one called Ecce Agnus Dei by 17th century painter Josefa de Ayala (sometime referred to as Josefa de Obidos).

An encapsulating piece, you can see how the life slowly drains from the body of the Lamb in His final moments.

Tom

December 29, 2007 1:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tom: I'm only familiar with de Obidos' Annunciation . Do you have an image of the Ecce Agnus Dei painting? Who owns it or where did you see it?

I'm always looking for "new" art to view. I have no talent for painting or drawing but I appreciate both.

December 29, 2007 1:22 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Kathy-

I will post an immage just for you. Give me a little time.

Tom

December 29, 2007 7:28 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Sorry. I meant Cathy with a "C." I'll have the post up by tomorrow.

December 29, 2007 7:34 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

All we get in North Idaho is paintings on saw blades:)

December 30, 2007 10:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

adrienne: In New York that would sell big as a fine example of folk art. Really.

I've seen paintings on saw blades here too! :-)

December 31, 2007 7:01 AM  
Blogger elena maria vidal said...

Thank you, Cathy! I never saw any of Vigee-Lebrun's landscapes. This is very enlightening! Happy New Year!

December 31, 2007 9:55 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Elena: I'm pleased that you think so! Happy New Year!

December 31, 2007 1:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page