December 09, 2007

The Limb Cracked

This week I stated in a blog post that I doubted Archbishop Harry Flynn knew that the University of Saint Thomas (St. Paul, MN) moved to make sure future Archbishops would not be Chairmen of the Board in future.

Yesterday, His Excellency responded to Katherine Kersten's column by, not explicitly confirming he was there, but stating there will always be a priest on the Board. Ray has the Archbishop's response.

I'm trying to write this post in a charitable manner conscious of the Archbishop's authority, but bear with me because I might get "lippy". I'll strive not to; but, you've been warned.

In my humble opinion, if this letter is truly by His Excellency, he's missed the point. The point is: future Archbishops will not be THE CHAIRMAN of the Board. He'll just be another guy on the Board. The Chair may be a layperson. The whole situation is a nearly perfect reflection of our society's relationship with the Church these days. No one should be in charge. It should be a democratic institution. We should get to elect our Church leaders, blah, blah, blah. Are all the board members even Catholics in good standing? I know, I shouldn't concern myself with silliness like that. If a Muslim politician wants to be elected to the Board at UST, I suppose I should be happy at the eyes he brings to the proceedings. I just bet they meet at a round table too.

What assurances do we have that Bishops and priests will continue to be on the Board? Is that in writing? What Bishops and priests? Think about it. Do they even have to be from this Archdiocese or have any affilation with UST?

If this is the democratic tack they are taking at UST, I feel like I should get to vote on who will be on the UST Board. I'm a Catholic in good standing, a resident of the Archdiocese. I see my former boss is a board member. I don't see how he has time for the Board since he spends a lot of his time cleaning up the stock backdating scandal he's been implicated in.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Jon Lovitz said...

Firey! (I know who the anonymous commenter on Ray's post about this issue is... I always know who the anonymous commenter is... and he knows I know.

Anyway... our dear Archbishop was doing what he always did - skirting the isssue - and I do not mean that in a gay way! (I make myself laugh at times!)

December 09, 2007 7:45 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

Apb Flynn--well what can I say?

I personnally hope that Abp N. (since it's hard to spell) will soon be the ordinary, and what pray tell, would happen if Abp. N. pulled UST right to the word "catholic"? Declared it to be a non-catholic school? This needs to happen. And if it meant that a certain scandal plaugued fellow found himself on the board of a non-catholic university, so much the better.

We've been afraid to spank for far too long.

December 10, 2007 12:58 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Jon: I know you know that I know. Know what I mean? EAT FRESH!!!!

Ignorant Redneck: "Spare the rod, spoil the child"

December 10, 2007 6:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page