December 23, 2007

It's Harder to Be a Sinner in the City?

Gentle Reader: I have houseguests for the holidays. Many of you probably do as well. As is often the case with my guests, not everyone may be Catholic or they may be Catholic but lack the fire in the belly, know what I'm sayin'?

There is always a slug-a-bed who lolls about in bed, gets up, and sees that I'm still around in my p.j's. and thinks that I'm not going to bring up the subject of attending Holy Mass today. They think they are "off the hook" because they slept in. Perhaps, in their town they only have one Mass offered on Sunday so if they sleep late they miss it.

Here I am in my most annonying slap-me-now-sweet-honey-in-the-rock voice: "Fear not, honored guest, the Lord has given us bounteous opportunity for Holy Mass today!" Then, I run thru our remaining Mass time options. ROFL! Poor sweeties, their faces look so crestfallen. LOL!

I shouldn't laugh because I used to be the same way. I should be sad, and I am, that some think going to Mass is an obligation as opposed to a privilege. They think it's torture, not enjoyable. They think because they already know they are going to HAVE to go again in another day for Christmas that they should not HAVE to go today too. Wrong!

Yet, in my deviousness, I can't help but laugh at their faces when I gleefully tell them we are still going. I'm all but rubbing my hands together with joy.

Now, we all have to fight over my single bathroom to get ready. *sigh*

Hey, see ya in church!!

3 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Hee hee hee! :-)

December 23, 2007 11:36 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Here's the Twin Cities' Mass Schedule as I have it in my woefully underused Day Timer. Some of these might be a bit out of date:

Saturday

4:00 - St Olaf, St Helena
4:30 - Lumen Christi
5:00 - Basilica, St Peter's Mendota, Nativity St Paul, St Mark
5:15 - St Agnes
5:30 - Our Lady of Lourdes
7:00 - Cathedral


Sunday

A.M.

6:30 - St Agnes
7:00 - Nativity St Paul
7:30 - Basilica, Lumen Christi
8:00 - St Olaf, St Lawrence/Newman, St Mark, Cathedral
8:15 - Nativity St Paul
8:30 - St Agnes, St Helena,
9:00 - Our Lady of Lourdes, Lumen Christi, St Peter's Mendota,
9:30 - Basilica, Nativity St Paul, St Mark
10:00 - St Agnes, St Lawrence/Newman, St Helena, Cathedral
10:45 - Lumen Christi
11:00 - Our Lady of Lourdes, St Peter's Mendota, Nativity St Paul, St Mark
11:30 - Basilica
12:00 - St Agnes, Cathedral

P.M.

4:00 - St Olaf
4:30 - Basilica
5:00 - Nativity St Paul
6:15 - Basilica
7:00 - Our Lady of Lourdes
7:30 - St Lawrence Newman
9:00 - St Lawrence Newman

These are the parishes around me where I can be seen a few times a year.

I think Cathy is correct-ola! There's not much of an excuse, other than serious or contagious illness, for missing Mass around here.

December 23, 2007 12:25 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

The Cathedral of St. Paul has a 5:00 p.m. St. Bernard's has an 11:00 a.m., St. Andrew is 8 and 10St. John is 9 and 11. Gosh, isn't this fun? Then, there's Maternity of the Blessed Virgin and Holy Childhood. Parishes too numerous to mention. I'm blessed living in St. Paul.

December 23, 2007 1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page