December 01, 2007

Coadjutor Archbishop's Letter in the StarTribune

I got this letter from my buddy, Ray . I don't read the StarTribune. I'm grateful that Ray keeps up on all the local news.

Coadjutor Archbishop John Nienstedt responds to Nick Coleman's column (requires free registration) in the StarTribune.

In a Nov. 28 column, Nick Coleman accuses me of not being compassionate toward friends and relatives of persons with same-sex attractions. I vigorously deny the charge. For 13 years I prepared priesthood candidates for celebrating the Sacrament of Penance by counseling them to welcome persons with warmth, compassion and understanding. Anyone who has celebrated that same sacrament with me knows I follow my own advice.
What Coleman wants is for the church I represent to be accepting and compassionate toward homosexual acts and lifestyles. And that can never be.
Coleman further claims the Catechism of the Catholic Church does not say that homosexual acts are a "grave evil." What it does say is the following: "Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity (Genesis 19: 1-29, Romans 1: 24-27, 1 Corinthians 6: 10, 1 Timothy 1:10), tradition has always declared that 'homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered.' ... Under no circumstances can they be approved."
As a priest and bishop, I have the responsibility before God and in the name of Jesus Christ to call all men and women to conversion, the first step of which is recognizing sinful activity for what it is. Sometimes that is not a comfortable thing to do, but it is always the compassionate thing to do.
JOHN C. NIENSTEDT, ST. PAUL;
COADJUTOR ARCHBISHOP,
ARCHDIOCESE OF ST. PAUL AND MINNEAPOLIS


I'm really happy that I'm our new Archbishop is establishing himself as an outspoken teacher of the Faith. I think the media's distortions of our Faith need to be addressed head-on. I'm pleased that His Excellency appears to agree. Please remember His Excellency in your prayers. Pray for his continued effective leadership.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I browse the StarTribune online, but I cannot read Nick Coleman's column (too many uncharitable thoughts flood my head when I do).

December 01, 2007 12:56 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

God has definitely blessed this Archdiocese with our new Archbishop!

December 01, 2007 3:03 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

I love this guy!!

December 01, 2007 6:18 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Great Response!

"Please remember His Excellency in your prayers. Pray for his continued effective leadership."

I will. BTW, Father Z has mentioned the story too (w/ a a biretta tip to you and Ray).

December 01, 2007 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page