December 22, 2007

The Advent Gift

Gentle Reader: Sorry, I've been scarce for a few days. "If I had but world enough and time this blog silence, friend, would be no crime"

I've been having all kinds of difficulties getting my Dad's Christmas gift. I will not post what it is here since some of you know him and some of you, well, may spill the big bag of beans.

My adventures involved retailers too numerous to mention. Items returned for defects or not being what I requested. Middle of the night phone calls picked up by the de rigueur off-shore call center in India. (Thank you to Amit and Mandeep for their help!)

In all this lunacy, I lost the true meaning of the season. I became so consumed in getting a gift for my Dad that I forgot about The Father's gift to me: His Son.

I went to one of our wonderful Perpetual Adoration chapels last night. Wouldn't you know, someone did not show up and I had to stay to cover an extra hour so the Blessed Sacrament would not be left alone. Not the first time this has happened. I used to grumble about it. Now, I've come to see it as a great honor and a gift. Extra one-on-one time with the Lord. No gift is better then that.

6 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Isn't it awesome that Jesus answers the prayers we haven't prayed? Such as to know Him more, to spend more time with Him, to remember why HE came?

I had a blessed hour with Him this afternoon. While there were books with me I wanted to read, instead the entire hour was spent in prayer, with hardly a distraction. What a gift!

Hope you found what you were looking for for your Dad. I found some cool stuff for my family, although I can't spend what I did last year. Simple Christmas gifts are better, IMHO. They really mean more.

December 22, 2007 8:29 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: I did finally get a gift for Dad. Well, it's on order. I have a photo of it for him that I will present him with on Christmas Eve.

December 22, 2007 8:33 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

oh. so that's what up.

December 22, 2007 9:50 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

Well, I made it through confession today so I couldn't be any happier. Material goods aren't always best, just like you wrote:0)

Tom

December 23, 2007 1:49 AM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

God bless you Cathy, Merry Christmas!

Lisa

December 23, 2007 10:37 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Tom: Excellent!

Lisa: Merry Christmas to you too!

Ter: I know you missed me! LOL!

December 23, 2007 1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page