November 04, 2007

Father Z has left the Church!

Deacon Nathan Allen takes the mic at St. Agnes to tell the Father Z groupies to please disperse and leave the building for crying out loud!

Seriously, Father John Zuhlsdorf makes an appearance in this town and all of blogdom goes ape----! This cannot be permitted to continue. It is just WRONG. WRONG, I tell you, that what he is wearing gets more ink then what I had on. Hey, I had black on too. Well, a black mantilla, but it was black. Who wears a white mantilla to a Requiem Mass anyway? Meow.

Yes, I was there. I saw him from afar and I did not even have to climb a tree to do it. Alas, Father did not say: "This day, I must have dinner at your house, Cathy!" Good thing, too, because my fridge is pretty bare. I did not, however, get to kiss the hem of his cloak or polish his shoes with my hair. Next time, maybe.

Beautiful All Souls Day Mass. The opening strains of the Mozart Requiem's Processional always gives me goosebumps. Msgr. Schuler's presence was very much in the air. Fr. Ubel gave a very nice homily about "the undiscovered country". See, Father Z's unknown readership, yet, again! Or, maybe Father Ubel was talking about how we'll all be dead by the time the new ICEL translations are released.

I did not get everything Father Ubel said because the VISITORS in front of me were talking thru most of the Mass. I'm really trying to be charitable towards folks for whom a Mass, properly celebrated, is a new thing. However, I think being charitable and kind does NOT mean you need to just sit back and permit plain rudeness and bad form to pass by without comment. Some people only go to St. Agnes for the concert of it and not the Mass. To these folks I ask: Would you go to a concert at Orchestra Hall and expect to speak thru the entire second movement of Dvorak's 9th? I don't think so. Then, why, do you think it's acceptable to go to a House of GOD and yakk away the entire time?

I was praying the Rosary before Mass and some yahoo leaned RIGHT OVER ME to talk to the people on the other side of me as I was kneeling in prayer.

I debated:

1)slaying him with my eyes,
2)commenting on his body odor,
3)stabbing him in his big gut with my crucifix.
4) saying "Sweetheart, you are a little early for the Kiss of Peace and we don't do that at St. Agnes anyway, so put it away"

I did not do any of it. Not entirely sure it was due to my Christian charity or the fact that the Confessionals were not open for business. But, I did say something. I was polite, but, I admit, my voice was tight. "Excuse me, sir, do you MIND?". He looked affronted. Too dang bad.

But, I have to think Father Z's continual call for patience and charity towards folks who may be new to the extraordinary form rubbed off on me in this situation (even though this was an N.O. Mass) and saved a man's life!

And for all that, Happy (Belated) Birthday, Father Zuhlsdorf!

19 Comments:

Blogger Vincenzo said...

http://i24.tinypic.com/315o83m.jpg

November 04, 2007 9:04 PM  
Blogger Adrienne said...

Welcome back Cathy,
Be very cautious -- I think there are some strange people that want to steal your Veuve. Just a warning.

I hate the chattering and nattering before Mass. Why can't we have a bit of silence in our churches????

November 04, 2007 9:09 PM  
Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Bout darn time you came back! We've been looking high and low for you! Vincenzo provided some great shots of your path...care to share your story?

Come see my blog for the paths we followed you down. I'm just amazed that St. Agnes was at the end...I thought we were going somewhere else.

November 04, 2007 10:05 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

adrienne: They shall be dealt with.

Adoro: Ray told me. I'll have to check it out.

Vincenzo: LOL!

November 05, 2007 6:13 AM  
Blogger Richie D said...

Father Z looks like actor Kevin Spacey. (and Welcome Back)

November 05, 2007 11:21 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, Richie.

Am I the only one who thinks Father Z looks like Bobby Darin?

November 05, 2007 12:19 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Welcome back!

I wish I could've made it to the All Souls Day Mass. Sounds like you had a time of it though!

Yes, Father Z does look like Bobby Darin. But, he seemed to have put on a few pounds :)

November 05, 2007 1:42 PM  
Anonymous Sandra Dee said...

I think he looks more like Bobby Darin than Kevin Spacey.

November 05, 2007 2:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Vincenzo - the photo is laugh out loud... do you know the neighborhood?

November 05, 2007 2:57 PM  
Blogger japhy said...

"Father Z has left the Church!"

Yeah, that'll the day.

November 05, 2007 3:33 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I wanta know why in three years of intensive blog surfing I have not been able to find a decent photo of St Agnes and then this foreign guy comes to town with his fancy fast lens digital SLR and not only does he get a great shot of the structure, but he get some, late for Mass I'd bet, sliding around the Lafond and Kent intersection in a Bugatti.

We know it couldn't be Father Z, because, being a cleric, he wouldn't exceed the speed limit in St. Paul of all places.

It's also good to see that the temperature has risen around here as our diocesan scold has returned to get the folks back into orthodox condition.

November 05, 2007 3:34 PM  
Blogger :o) said...

Your options on how to deal with the personal space invader made me laugh! Thanks.

November 05, 2007 7:47 PM  
Anonymous Nancy said...

That's why I prefer sitting right up at the front - it's a little better noise-wise then at the back.

But there isn't much one can do with what I encountered this past Sunday. During Mass, the woman sitting behind me was not only saying the responses at the top of her lungs and about a second or two behind everyone else, but she was taking some, er, creative liberties with the text. Sigh...

November 05, 2007 8:28 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Scold? Yep, that's me.

Nancy: Yes, I know those folks too. Fortunately, they were not there this time.

Sandra Dee: Where's Troy these days?

November 05, 2007 8:47 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Terry, no I don't.

November 05, 2007 9:37 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

My eyesight must be going bad on me. On a second glance at the snap of somebody who might after all be Father Z, sliding around the Lafond-Kent intersection in a Bugatti, why who is there at the finish line but NASCAR groupie, one Cathy of Alexandria and Father Ubel of St Agnes, togged out in his cassock.

I didn't think NASCAR types liked road racing. But that does seem to solve the mystery as to where she has been. She just camped out on the intersection to get a good view of Father Z's finish. But maybe he had run out of gas. That would explain why no other fans were there with Father Z's fan club contingent. That race had finished hours earlier.

November 05, 2007 10:14 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Ray wrote:
"My eyesight must be going bad on me. On a second glance at the snap of somebody who might after all be Father Z, sliding around the Lafond-Kent intersection in a Bugatti, why who is there at the finish line but NASCAR groupie, one Cathy of Alexandria..."

http://i21.tinypic.com/ndx84w.jpg

November 05, 2007 10:47 PM  
Blogger Tom in Vegas said...

I love Mozart's Requiem Mass. Poor guy never got a chance to finish it.

Those rude people you encountered are not so rare, unfortunately. I try to have patience with the ones who walk their hide into mass midway through the consecration, or leave early before the final blessing.

I think, however, I would talk through Dvorak's 9th. I don't care for it. LOL!

Tom

November 06, 2007 2:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it is best not say anything--offer it up


it is rumoured that faure's requiem will be done next year--fr ubel likes it-mozart is the gold standard- all others fall short
faure' requiem is very incomplete
there is no benedictus---some of the words have been changed


fr ubel has put the kybosh on the wonderful instrumental offertories

at the high mass

November 06, 2007 3:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page