November 29, 2007

Can Gays Change?

My post title is from Ed Vitagliano's most recent article in AFA Journal :

Is that the real question we should be asking and concerning ourselves with or is the real question: Are gays as capable of anyone else of living the Christian life? By Christian life: I mean the full life as as it is disseminated thru His Church-not as each person decides it should be.

Gays are as capable of living the TRUE Christian life as I am. I was just pondering today how the gay lobby's attempt to "empower" themselves by changing Church teaching to accomodate their sins, really makes them appear to be an extremely weak people. If you're basically saying: well, I can't do it, so you better just change centuries of teaching to accomodate me in my weakness then you are giving up. If you are essentially just giving up to sin without a fight, then you are truly weak.

I struggle with sexual sins. Does that mean I shouldn’t struggle, just go over the Devil? Will I never be horny again? Or, is it that: yes, I will be but I know how to fight it. I know I have to fight it. I accept that I have to fight it. I know what it is at stake if I just give in. I know what I'm going to lose if I just give up.

Is it easy? No. Do I expect someone to come along and help me? Yes. That's what prayer is for. That's what my relationship with my Angel is about. That's why I pray to the Saints. That's what my brothers and sisters in Christ are for. Help. However, I have to meet them at least 1/2 way. They can't do the heavy lifting for me.

Because we are ALL capable of failure, does that mean redemption should not be attempted? Is changing the Church to accomodate our sins really going to make us better people? Shouldn't we ALL be fighting to better ourselves?

5 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Sweetie, if I could I'd do the heavy lifting for you. Because friends do that for friends, especially when you're incapacitated.

But lemme tellya...if you don't wake up and fight your own battles I'm going to kick yer a**...oh..sorry, in public company here....


Seriously, well said.

November 29, 2007 10:43 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

I know, that's why I hide the silverware at IHOP too! LOL!

November 30, 2007 6:51 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I thought the title of this post was "Can guys change?" and I was going to say, "absolutely not!" LOL!

But then I realized you were discussing gays. Seriously, I do think all gays can change from being sexually active to living chastely and celibately. However, changing one's orientation is difficult for most, albeit not impossible for some highly motivated persons who are willing and able to go through therapy and counselling.

Having said that, failures of those seeking some form of reparative therapy - either psychologically or religiously based - have led to clinical depression, alcohol/drug abuse, even suicide amongst gays who find it beyond their ability or strength to change.

Nevertheless, it must be remembered, the Church only requires the person with homosexual inclination to live chastely and celibately, and in no way insists that the person must change their sexual orientation.

December 01, 2007 12:12 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: I agree.

Oh, and GUYS can't change either. LOL!

December 01, 2007 12:34 PM  
Blogger Miss Emily said...

Reparative therapy implies that there's something wrong with you. You are who you are, and you just need to find a way to deal with it. If you decide that it means to be celibate, that's cool, but gay is gay. Gays don't want to find a way to accommodate their sin, they don't believe it's sin. It's not just a convenient excuse.

December 03, 2007 6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page