September 26, 2007

StarSUCKS

Adoro and and Ray have the story about Joni Mitchell's odd Catholic slamming lyrics in her latest album which will be distributed by Starbucks.

Well, what am I saying? Joni has always had odd lyrics. I'm a huge fan of hers but I will not be buying this album. I don't buy much coffee in coffee shops. I usually brew my own at home. However, I will be avoiding Starbucks.

If you are going to go to consume coffee outside the home, the local coffee HOUSES in the TC have more ambiance then the chain shops anyway: Brewberries in Highland Park, Black Dog in Lowertown, Amore on Grand Avenue, Muddy Waters in the Wedge, Black Sheep in South St. Paul, Coffee Grounds in Como Park, Gingko Coffee in Hamline-Midway, Java Jacks in East Harriet.

Here's my brief letter to Starbucks:

I am disturbed by the content of the latest Joni Mitchell album you are selling in your stores. Particularly, her anti-Catholic views on her album. I was a Joni Mitchell fan. However, I won't be buying that album and I won't be patronizing your stores anymore if you carry it.

Here's the response I got back from Starbucks:

Dear Janice,

Thank you for contacting Starbucks Coffee Company.

At Starbucks, we are proud to offer customers a diverse range of music for their enjoyment. Music has always been a part of the coffeehouse culture and is an essential part of the Starbucks heritage and in-store experience.

We understand that our customers have diverse tastes and perspectives. In selecting music, we strive to represent the work of a variety of talented artists who reflect many creative viewpoints. Starbucks is an avid supporter of free speech and the creative process. When considering new projects, our primary goal is always to help our customers discover and acquire quality music.

We value input from our customers and respect their opinions. Starbucks and Hear Music believe our music selections continue our commitment to offering customers a variety of music from a vast array of genres.


Thanks again for contacting Starbucks.


Sincerely,


(named blanked by me)

Starbucks Coffee Company



Wow! Vast array of genres, free speech, diverse perspective...Yeah! I look forward to their next selection which is sure to be from local white-power metal band: Bound for Glory.

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Whaddayou expect out of a bunch of pagans from Seattle.

I'm going over to the Highland Park Starbucks branch, across from Lumen Christi Church tomorrow.

And then I'm going to give the information to Lumen Christi and see if I can get them to put it in their bulletin and get some kind of local boycott going. Pray for my efforts, Cathy.

I'll give them the local coffee shop competitors' addresses too. Thanks for the list of names.

September 26, 2007 8:25 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Have you heard or read the lyrics? They suck - no artistic merit whatsoever.

September 26, 2007 10:13 PM  
Blogger Kasia said...

I've read the lyrics. *YAWN* They were less than dazzling.

September 27, 2007 2:04 PM  
Blogger ignorant redneck said...

I e-mailed Starbucks. I wonder if I'll get a reply.

I also e-mailed the usccb about kathy Saile--I got a reply, but it didn't really answer anything.

I don't think Starbucks will do any better.

September 28, 2007 9:40 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

ignorant redneck: May God bless you for your efforts! You just reminded me that I forgot to write the USCCB about Ms. Saile. Thanks!

September 28, 2007 10:32 PM  
Blogger Micki said...

I wonder if Starbucks will have the courage to present some CD that has a defamation of the Muslims next. Or would they be "afraid" of retaliation?

September 30, 2007 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page