September 01, 2007

Must Be the Vatican Calling...

When I was a kid, a standing joke in our family was when the phone rang at an incovenient time, it must be the Vatican or the Pope. When I was a kid, I think answering machines existed somewhere but no one I knew had one. There was no such thing as voice mail. If you didn't answer the phone (horrors!) the caller just had to keep calling back until someone did answer the phone.

My parents had this thing about ALWAYS feeling they had to answer the telephone. Even in the middle of dinner (which we did eat together as a family) if it rang, they answered it. (ring, ring) "Better get that. It's probably the Holy Father" Inevitably, it was my Dad's Mother.

Today, we are so liberated. We have voicemail, email, answering machines. Why answer the phone when you don't want to, right? Wrong. So many people are still slaves to the machine. Some people can't get in their car without grabbing that phone and calling someone while they drive. Or, they go on vacation and drag that laptop and wireless card. Must multi-task, multi-task.

Some of us are slaves to the blog. Why do so many of us bloggers feel the need to apologize if we want to take a break, go on vacation, or, even, quit blogging. Why do you blog? For popularity? To get a new job? Share the Faith with others? Meet people? For His glory or for yours?

I realize there are some folks who always have to answer the phone because it could really be an emergency. Doctors and priests are almost always on call. In some cases, it really could be the Vatican calling!

(ring ring)

Secretary: "Ciao, Padre. Cardinale Bertone desidera parlare con voi."

Priest: "Praised Be Jesus Christ! Gosh, I hope this is the network with the fewest dropped calls."

10 Comments:

Blogger Terry Nelson said...

"Some of us are slaves to the blog. Why do so many of us bloggers feel the need to apologize if we want to take a break, go on vacation, or, even, quit blogging. Why do you blog? For popularity? To get a new job? Share the Faith with others? Meet people? For His glory or for yours?"

What are you insinuating?

September 01, 2007 2:55 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I forgot to add LOL! I also forgot to answer the question as to why I blog. Stats Cathy - it is all about stats.

September 01, 2007 3:09 PM  
Blogger Ma Beck said...

I don't go on vacation so y'all are covered with my blog.
;)

September 01, 2007 3:59 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I don't go on vacation either, Ma. Maybe we can make some money off of that by always being available for bloggers on hiatus.

September 01, 2007 4:13 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

I'm just listing to Father Groeschel's "Sunday Night Live" re-run on EWTN as I'm surfing now and am struck by the fact that Father has an "oral blog", as often his items are rants, as perfected by Our Cathy.

It would be wonderful if one could post a comment to TV programs.

September 01, 2007 4:18 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Ray: Why can't you? I'd enjoy hearing you comment on Fr. Groeschel.

Ma: Good, then those stats won't go down!

Terry: What are YOU saying? Didn't you just say on your blog you don't look at your numbers? Or, maybe you meant phone numbers? :-)

September 01, 2007 5:15 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Yeah, well, ah, that post was comedic, ya know? Like I even watch sitcoms, and "Square Pegs" - that was like a joke. Sheesh! It's called creative writing...

But no - I want stats, but I haven't installed sitemeter - so I just imagine I have stats- the more I post, the more I imagine my readership grows. I think I probably get 2 million hits a day between the two blogs. Yeah, I'm pretty sure the numbers are way up there.

What are ya doin' for the 4th?

September 01, 2007 7:20 PM  
Blogger japhy said...

In many and various ways God spoke of old to our fathers by the prophets; but in these last days he has spoken to us by a Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom also he created the world.

CAN YOU HEAR ME NOW? -- God

September 01, 2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Ma Beck said...

That's right, Cath.
It's all about the stats.
(What? Y'all don't get paid a dollar a visitor??)

September 01, 2007 11:44 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Terry: The 4th? Working.

Japhy: LOL!

Ma: What?! YOU do? I've got to get in on that deal! :-)

September 02, 2007 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page