September 26, 2007

Gluttony and Idols

I've really been meditating lately on spiritual and physical health and my recent posts probably reflect that. I was amazed to discover that today is the Optional Memorial for Ss Cosmas and Damian, physician brothers martyred in Rome in A.D. 303. My old missal says they were both physicians of the body and of the soul. Very timely. The Holy Ghost moves in mysterious ways. I've long since quit thinking this kind of tie-in is just a "coincidence"

I've been thinking lately that if I spent as much time in prayer as I do stuffing my face, I'd be well on my way to Sainthood. Furthermore, it would be much better for me spiritually, not to mention physically, if I spent more time Adoring the Lord in the Blessed Sacrament versus adoring the contents of my refridgerator.

I am by no means, starving. Yes, we all need to eat. However, I eat WAY more than I need to in order to survive. I enjoy food. Most of us do. But, there's a time when you have crossed over from just your basic sensual enjoyment of food to obsession. There is such a thing as gluttony. You've probably heard of it. It's one of the Seven Deadly Sins. Gluttony is defined in the Catholic Enyclopedia as excessive indulgence in something usually food and/or drink. Generally, it is a venial sin. However, it can cross over into mortal sin if you impair yourself so much that you can't perform your responsibilities as a citizen and a Catholic.

I've discovered that I spend more time worrying about my next meal then my I do time with God. I have no reason to worry about my next meal. I have more then enough money for food. However, designating time for prayer and sticking to it is something I struggle with. That copy of Magnificat is a great prayer aid, however, it helps to actually crack it open!

Food has become an idol to me. It's chief symbols being the big white appliances in my kitchen (it helps for the consistency of this post as well as being an amazing fact that my fridge, stove and microwave are all white!)

One of the intents of my First Friday fast, as well as some of my other, occasional, fast days is a personal attempt to teach myself how important food has become to me and how much more I need to emphasize my prayer life then I currently do. The fasting forces me to focus on prayer. It's also a battle for me not to cave in to the temptation of the food. It's a personal spiritual/temporal battle. Sometimes, I do pretty well. Other times, not so well. Call it (me): work in progress.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi. Can you not post about gluttony when I'm reading your blog over lunch?

And I don't even have very MUCH food but now I feel guilty about daring to eat lunch. At lunchtime.

Why do I suddenly feel like I have to go to Confession?

~ Adoro

September 26, 2007 12:23 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Did you know the celibate's first temptation after sex is food? (Don't assume every fat nun is a glutton though - although I know a few...)

We all need the virtue of temperance.

September 26, 2007 5:45 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: Well, when the conscience calls honey....:-)

Terry: Who's assuming every fat nun is a glutton? Not me. I, too, have known some fat nuns. Also, some fat priests. I can only speak for my own sins. Yes, we all need temperance. Something I struggle with.

September 26, 2007 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page