September 30, 2007

Father Pablo Straub, OCR


This weekend I attended the Mass of the Archangels event at St. Michaels Catholic Church in St. Michael, Minnesota on the Feast of the Archangels. With all the Michaels mentioned how could I refuse?

Very good retreat. All of the speakers were very good.

However, I was really touched by Father Pablo Straub. I have to admit, I had never heard of him before this retreat. He spoke Friday evening and he closed the retreat on Saturday.

He's really a powerful public speaker and witness to Christ. He spoke about the Virgin Mary during both of his talks. He emphasized her powerful intercessory powers. He also spoke about the founder of his order: St. Alphonsus Liguori. I'm a huge fan of St. Alphonsus so I really enjoyed how Father incorporated St. Alphonsus' devotion to Mary in his talk.

Father literally carries his cross during his speeches. He holds the cross similar to the way St. Therese of the Child Jesus is usually depicted holding hers-over the shoulder facing forward.

He opened with prayer and clearly has a great devotion to the Blessed Sacrament as well as Our Lady by his physical actions. He struggled to kneel before the Tabernacle but he did it. When I see the elderly or infirm making a great effort to kneel before Christ, I wonder why so many of our young and able bodied complain about kneeling before the Lord because it's too hard and too painful (whine, whine).

A lot of people took advantage of the Sacrament of Confession during the retreat (Praise God!). Myself included. I estimate that the priests (there were 4 at various times) heard at least 150 Confessions.

Father Straub was in the Confessional for 2 hours and then had to leave to get ready for his last talk. It turned out the Divine Mercy Chaplet was sung and that takes longer then the recitation. Father realized he had some extra time so he went right back into the Confessional. The crowd waited while he gave Absolution to one of our Members of Christ's Body.

Father strikes me as a very holy man. Completely unpretentious. He was walking around, shaking hands, smiling, greeting everyone. He even smiled at and greeted me with a warm: "Hello" when he saw me in the corridor.

Count me as a member of the Father Pablo Straub fan club.

7 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I wish I could have been there. Thanks for the info and the description of the event.

Got any good literature to share?

September 30, 2007 6:00 PM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

Father Straub is very holy, a true son of St. Alphonsus. You were very fortunate to be there.

September 30, 2007 7:32 PM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I really wanted to attend. Maybe next year I can arrange some childcare. Sounds like a great event.

September 30, 2007 8:51 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

I watch his show on EWTN. I just found one of his DVDs at the EWTN Religious Catalogue:

ADVENT RETREAT WITH FR. PABLO STRAUB - DVD

"Join Fr. Pablo Straub as he prepares for the celebration of the Birth of Our Savior. Shot on location in the Our Lady of the Angels Chapel in Irondale, AL. 5 hrs."

And here are some audio files of his programs that you can listen to
at EWTN: click here

P.S.
Cathy, guess what's in the oven?

September 30, 2007 9:48 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Adoro: They did not have any literature that they were handing out like flyers, bulletins, write-ups etc. They had some handouts with various prayers on them. Not a lot of those.

Lots of books and religious articles were on sale though. I was tempted, but I looked at my checkbook balance and resisted.

Vincenzo: Terrific!

October 01, 2007 4:17 AM  
Anonymous Maria said...

He is a regular at EWTN. He is so wonderful.

October 01, 2007 7:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fr. Straub is a wonderful presenter of the faith with such passion...

Here is some cool EWTN programs
Real Audio of Fr. Straub

October 24, 2007 8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page