September 04, 2007

Angels?

A few times in my life I have been visited by people that I still swear were Angels in disguise. I feel like they were there to teach me a lesson or to test me in some way.

The first encounter was about 14 years ago. I was renting a duplex in a depressed area of Minneapolis. I was coming home from running errands and had just parked in front of my house. Suddenly, a woman's voice was right beside me. I turned, startled, to see an African-American woman who appeared to be in her late 30's standing there. She sounded stressed and said she had no shelter and no place to go. She had knocked on the door of a Lutheran church around the corner but no one was there. She did not ask for anything, she just laid out her situation. Such a random encounter by someone down on their luck was not unheard of in this neighborhood. Similar encounters had happened to me before. However, there was an undefinable "something" about this particular woman that inspired me to open my wallet and give her my last $20 (literally, I was living check to check then). She thanked me. I turned away for a second to head back towards my front door. I turned back and she had completely disappeared. She was nowhere in sight. She had been on foot so it's not like she got in a car and drove away. I did not see her back heading away down the block. Nothing. She was nowhere visible to me. I felt really good about helping her. But, my immediate thought was complete awe. I was sure in my heart that it was a visit, even a test, by an Angel. Call me crazy if you want to, but I still swear it to this day.

The second encounter was in the parking lot of a large shopping center in the Midway area of St. Paul a few years ago. It was during the holiday season. A homeless looking man of indeterminate age approached me right as I got out of my car. He asked if I could spare any change. There was "something" about him too. A voice in my head was telling me I should help him. This particular shopping center has had problems with panhandlers in the parking lots and I had been apprached in this manner there before. However, even though a voice was telling me to help him, I ignored the voice and gave the man nothing. I felt terrible for refusing to help him but that did not change my heart. I turned around for a second to head for the stores. I turned back to see where he was and he had completely disappeared. In a wide open parking lot, he was nowhere to be seen. The parking lot was more then 1/2 empty and I should have been able to see him. I felt even worse because I was now certain that this man was an Angel and it was a test. A test that I had failed miserably.

As I look back on these two encounters, I realize that when I was least able to give I was the most generous. When I had more to give, I gave nothing. I should have listened to the voice, my conscience, or perhaps it was the voice of my Guardian Angel telling me to give because he recognized his fellow Angels.

Perhaps, there is a lesson here: Always be open to the voice in your head telling you to be generous.

2 Comments:

Blogger Richie D said...

A friend I worked with had a similar experience. She was in a bad relationship and wondering what to do. Walking in downtown Chicago, a woman stepped right in front of her and told her, "Leave that man and don't think twice." My friend was speechless and let the lady pass. When my friend turned around, there was no one there who looked like the lady who gave her the advice.

September 04, 2007 10:25 AM  
Blogger Sanctus Belle said...

I had one possible "angel" experience a few years back. I was running and had rock music (used to help motivate me to keep going) on the MP3 player and at the end of this driveway I was passing by there was this beautiful child. Looked like a girl but her face was shining, long blond hair and a gorgeous white long dress. "She" was standing at the end of the driveway, facing me, looking right into my eyes. I thought to myself "how strange, she's looking right at me and I don't see any other children or anyone around, I wonder if that's an angel." I smiled and nodded to her, I might have even said "hi" but she nodded and smiled at me. Two houses later a couple was exiting the front door and this huge dog came running right at me - not barking but intent on the kill, teeth bared. Suddenly the dog stopped cold in its tracks and sat down, looking at me as I passed. I thought "Oh, that angel just saved me from this dog attack" and I kept running. I don't remember if I turned to look for the child.

The more time goes by, the more convinced I am that this was a angel. Thank you God for this grace. Amen+

September 04, 2007 4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page