August 16, 2007

Support Your Local Schola

A group of local men, including a couple of bloggers, have formed a Chant Schola under the direction of blogger, Geometricus. If you were at the Archdiocesan Eucharistic Procession this year, Geometricus was the Lead Cantor. He also directs the choir at St. Raphael's in Crystal, MN.

Ray of Stella Borealis blog and Dan of Believe and Profess blog are two of the members.

Like Leather's backup band on Happy Days , I don't think these men have a name yet. I recommended the "Suffering Psalters" but I think that was rejected.

They have been rehearsing for a while and Ray tells me they are making their formal debut at the 8:30 a.m. Mass this Saturday, August 18th at St. Anthony of Padua, 813 Main St NE in Minneapolis. Confessions are heard from 7:45-8:10, Rosary begins at 8:00.

I think it is important to support lay people that are stepping up and offering their time and talent to help bring the art of chant back to more of our Masses. I think it is important to thank the priests that are open to it. Ray told me the Pastor of St. Anthony was receptive to the idea and offered them the opportunity to chant at the Saturday morning Mass. I believe that if chant is to make a comeback, it is going to require a joint effort of lay people and clergy working together to: not only want it, but ask for it AND do it. Yes, we all know that chant was never formally abolished. But, we all know that there are few parishes that have it anymore.

St Gregory, pray for us!

Update: Dan posted their repertoire for tomorrow on his blog

6 Comments:

Blogger Ray from MN said...

Hopefully it won't be "suffering eardrums" tomorrow morning. But four of the five of us are musicians; guess who isn't.

Thanks for the shout out, Cathy!

August 17, 2007 9:43 AM  
Blogger Dan said...

Yes, thank you Cathy. I've put up on my blog our repetoire for the mass tomorrow, for those interested. There will be handouts to help those who aren't familiar with the latin.

August 17, 2007 10:02 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

I'm so impressed! Ray is certainly a man of many talents!!

August 17, 2007 1:42 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Thanks, S.M.

I don't know if "talent" is the correct word. But I've been trying. In fact I'll do a little listening tonight to a CD that our esteemed leader, Ben made for us and go over the music and put the pages in the right order.

By the way, after tomorrow's debut, anybody who would like to sing chant and who has done it before and who didn't want to "attend class" would be welcome to join us for future performances.

Dan forgot to give his URL:

Believe and Profess

August 17, 2007 2:49 PM  
Blogger Quantitative Metathesis said...

Any chance someone wants to start a women's schola? I know of someone *coughcough* in Saint Paul who would jump on the band-, er, chantwagon....

August 18, 2007 6:03 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

QM: I would try it too and I live in St. Paul but I have no skills in it.

I've heard there may be one starting up in the Western Metro-Excelsior area.

August 19, 2007 9:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page