August 21, 2007

Random Sports Posts

I feel like I've been ignoring my Minnesota Twins lately. Well, they have not been doing too much this season that is worthy of tribute. However Johan Santana killed the Rangers in the Dome on Sunday. 17 strikeouts!!!!! Respect must be paid to #57. BUT, the game was only 1-0 Twins. There still is not enough run support behind him.

I hope the Michigan NASCAR Nextel Cup race actually runs this morning (it's been delayed two days for rain) or the whole Cup schedule is going to be one big mess for the rest of the year.

Hmmm, what else...

Hey, old-school Minneapolis power trio fans, long-gone Longhorn Bar folks, you may know you are (I know the 70s were tough on some of you). The Suicide Commandos are reuniting and opening for Fountains of Wayne at the Minnesota State Fair Grandstand on Sunday night! The show is FREE (well, you do have to pay to get into the Fairgrounds). But, if you are already there, why not Clichè Olè?

7 Comments:

Blogger Richie D said...

why is NASCAR running a race on a Tuesday morning??

August 21, 2007 9:18 AM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Where was the Longhorn? Those were my drinking and driving days? I don't remember (a lot of things from then). Fortunately my guardian angel saved me.

August 21, 2007 9:36 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

richie: Because they were rained out on Sunday and yesterday. Last I heard they only ran 10 laps under red and stopped. Heavy fog today. I don't know if they plan to start up again.

Ray: Just off of 5th and Hennepin. It's formal name was Jay's Longhorn Bar. It was a music venue-punk mostly. Unless you were a fan of Husker Du, Suicide Commandos, Ramones, The Police and The Replacements, I doubt it would have been on your radar. I think it was open under another name in the 80's for a while.

August 21, 2007 11:47 AM  
Blogger Terry Nelson said...

I knew who Harmon Killebrew was.

Did you ever see the French film, "A Man and a Woman" - that had racing in it.

I love sports!

August 21, 2007 11:49 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

What about Two Lane Blacktop or the Fast and the Furious?

WAS? You know the Killer is still alive, right?

Gosh, Terry, I don't know why you don't start a sports blog!

Love ya, lots! Kiss, kiss, hug, hug.

August 21, 2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Richie D said...

there was an Al Pacino movie in the 1970s, "Bobby Deerfield" and earlier there was a stock car movie called "Last American Hero" which featured Jim Croce's song "I Got A Name."

August 21, 2007 1:56 PM  
Blogger Bobby said...

Yes, they did finish it on Tuesday -- the first time in nearly 30 years they ran an NNCS race on Tuesday.

The last? The 1978 Firecracker 400, which was always held on July 4 from 1959 until 1987, when the first Saturday in July became the official day in 1988, 16 years after NASCAR had set a weekend-only schedule in 1972. The Craftsman Truck Series has races on Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday. The Busch Series has Saturday and one Sunday race.

Punks . . . you aren't going to see me near a bar any time!

August 28, 2007 6:44 PM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page