August 15, 2007

Online Petition To Support Extraordinary Form at Cathedral of St. Paul


Via email from Veritatis Splendor

Hello friends,

As many of you are aware, the Holy Father has issued a new document (the Motu Proprio "Summorum Pontificum") which clarifies that the Extraordinary Form of the Mass (commonly called the "Tridentine Mass" or the "Traditional Latin Mass") as promulgated by Blessed Pope John XXIII in 1962 may be offered freely by any priest privately, or by any parish where a group of the faithful request to worship at a Mass using this Form. The full text of the document, which is short but beautifully written, is available at http://www.ewtn.com/vnews/getstory.asp?number=80592

During a conversation that a few of us had with Fr. Erickson of the Cathedral last week, someone (not me! :) brought up this topic and inquired as to whether or not the Cathedral would consider offering the Extraordinary Form in the future. Fr. Erickson's response was personally positive as to the possibility of this, and he suggested that the names of those interested be gathered, to see if there is indeed a group desiring this.

Hence - this e-mail. :) I am sending this note to a wide variety of people, and I do not know how many of you would be interested in participating in the Extraodinary Form of the Mass at the Cathedral. If you are not at all interested, that is fine - feel free to ignore this e-mail!

If you would, however, be interested in this, then please considering signing the interest form (it's not really a petition, we're not trying to demand anything!) now online at http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/cathedral . (FYI - Only the name is publicly visible on the web, other information is kept private until the list is turned in to the Cathedral.)

Never been to a "Tridentine Mass"? Not sure about this, but open to the idea? No problem - if you do not have any experience with the Extraordinary Form of the Mass, and do not know whether or not you would wish to participate in it on an ongoing basis, but would like to "try it" - please sign the form anyway, and make a note that you would just like to "try it" in the comments section - no commitment required!

While the Cathedral will likely be primarily interested in hearing from current parishioners and associate members, non-members may sign it as well. I would ask that non-members make a note when signing as to why you would be interested participating in this form of the Mass at the Cathedral specifically (regular visitors, daily Mass goers, relatives who are members, would be a member, etc).

After September 14th (the date that the Motu Proprio goes into effect), the list will be given to the Cathedral - and may God's will be done, whatever comes of it!


Thanks, Veritatis. I signed it. I'm not a member of the Cathedral. However, it is near my home and I do, occasionally, attend the Cathedral for late afternoon Confessions and Mass during the week. Periodically, I'm there for the late Sunday Mass. I'd LOVE to see the extraordinary form in that setting. Beautiful church. I'd also sign any petition asking for the removal of the free-standing altar which, I think, really cripples the Sanctuary architecturally.

3 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I signed it the other day, too. I'm a long ways away from the Cathedral, but even further from St. Augustine's.

August 15, 2007 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Catholic Cathy...

I think the free standing altar is a fabulous change. It's a glorious symbol of free thinking. You should rejoice in it as you do in the glory of the Lord.

It hurts me to be excluded from the church. By breaking the rules as a practicing homosexual, I am not excluding myself. I would be breaking the rules of humanity if I were to renounce my love of having anal sex with my boyfriend. I will be having a sex change surgery later in the year so that I can engage sexually with my female partner. You see, I must cover all the bases.

I will continue to wear rainbow attire when I attend Mass in protest of God's hatred of my homosexual brethren.

Oh yeah...and I eat babies...or should I call them...fetuses. Or perhaps blobs of cells.

By the way..Satan made me do it.

He spoke to me through my tarot cards.

May you relapse into your Catholic dissent.

tqvtr

August 16, 2007 6:44 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Anonymous: Get help.

August 16, 2007 7:27 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page