August 22, 2007

It's Alright to Cry

Sing it with me now my Gen X brothers and sisters............


There's a land that I see where the children are free
And I say it ain't far to this land from where we are
Take my hand, come with me, where the children are free
Come with me, take my hand, and we'll live



AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!

I've spent over 30 years trying to run like Atalanta and escape those blasted songs in my head and last night I heard in a TV commercial...

It's all right to cry
Crying gets the sad out of you
It's all right to cry
It might make you feel better



AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

Do you have any idea how MANY times I had to watch Free to Be...You and Me in grade school? Did that series play a part in much of the political correctness run amok that we see today? I wonder.

"I'm just a bill, yes, I'm only a bill".....Now, that song was useful. Or, the song that helped you learn the Preamble to the Constitution.."We, the people". Remember the days when Saturday morning cartoons actually tried to teach kids something useful as opposed to encouraging them to bug their parents to buy them the toys that go along with the show? I'm jealous. I always wanted a Sleestak costume, but, marketing did not exist on the scale it did now. We had to use our own creativity to create it or imagine it. You couldn't always buy it.







Labels: Childhood memories, Land of the Lost, That Girl Ruined Me

13 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

I am absolutely THRILLED to say I have NEVER heard of the travesty you mention...but I grew up on Schoolhouse Rock and Menudo and "I'm just a bill..." etc.

Remember Menudo?

August 22, 2007 8:12 PM  
Blogger Angela Messenger said...

..."Marshall, Will and Holly....on a routine expedition...met the greeeeatest earthquake ever knooooown...."

Thanks for the memories!!!!

PS - Jack Wild or Mark Lester? (I preferred Jack myself...!)

August 22, 2007 10:56 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

http://i10.tinypic.com/4q6yv80.jpg

August 23, 2007 4:50 AM  
Anonymous Jeron said...

Q: "Conjunction Junction, what's your function?"
A: "Hookin' up words & phrases & clawww-zezzzz"

Love it!

August 23, 2007 7:44 AM  
Blogger Our Word said...

"I'm just a bill" - now that was music! Seriously,That's one of the great bits of all time. The only remnant I have from my political career is a bendable "Bill" that sits here on my desk.

(And, of course, you knew that Jack Sheldon, who sang "I'm Just a Bill," was a regular on the Merv Griffin show!

Mitchell

August 23, 2007 7:49 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

We must be on the same wave length with the sleestacks. I have a sound clip of them on my computer.

Also have all the School House Rocks videos for my kids (and me!)

August 23, 2007 7:52 AM  
Blogger Richie D said...

"There's a telegraph line,
you've got yours and I got mine,
it's called the nervous system ...."

sorry, I overdosed on School House Rock as well

August 23, 2007 8:10 AM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Hysterical comments everyone! I see I hit a nerve.

Yes, I remember Menudo and Schoolhouse Rock.

Angela: Jack Wild-definitely.

Vincenzo: I'm so happy! My first, authentic, Sleestak outfit! Thanks.

swissmiss: The Sleestak noise is classic, low-rent, on the cheap sound production. That's part of what made it all so great. Anyone with breath could recreate it!

Bugaloos are hear and there and everwhere!

August 23, 2007 9:38 AM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Bugaloos

Land of the Lost

I'm Just a Bill

Conjunction Junction

Electra Woman & Dyna Girl

Wonder Woman

Six Million Dollar Man

Laverne & Shirley

Buck Rogers

August 23, 2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Vincenzo: You've been busy! I LOVED Electro Woman & Dyna Girl!

August 23, 2007 4:48 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

People complain about Latin in the Mass.

I have no idea what all you people are talking about. This is much worse than Latin even though I think you are writing in English.

August 23, 2007 6:25 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Sigmund and the Sea Monsters

Far Out Space Nuts

HR PufnStuf

The Lost Saucer

Wonderbug

The Bay City Roller Show

Krofft Supershow

August 23, 2007 6:47 PM  
Blogger Vincenzo said...

Interplanet Janet

Interjections!

The Preamble

Mother Necessity

Beans N Rice

nervous system telegraph line

Elbow Room

Fireworks

Happy Days

August 24, 2007 5:00 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page