August 16, 2007

God's Gift

Today, I received in my mailbox the August 16, 2007 issue of our Archdiocesan newspaper The Catholic Spirit. I always read it right away-usually with my dinner (I see some of you laughing. Ha, she must use reading that paper as a way to keep her weight down!). The Catholic Spirit is like one of those secret paper bags of goodies that you can buy the final day of a yard sale for $1. You know, the ones where you don't know what's in it before you open it? It's either going to be fabulous or terrible.

The Opinion/Letters page is, rarely, boring.

It's like a car accident, you just can't help but look.

So....how about that Father John Mitchell column, eh?

I feel like I should write a letter or some kind of formal, thoughtful, CALM, response. Honestly, the column is so full of _______(I could insert several adjectives here and so, probably, can you after you've read it). I don't feel I CAN respond right now without disrespecting the author-a retired priest of the Archdiocese.

9 Comments:

Blogger Adoro te Devote said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

I had actually missed that article. Thank God he is retired and the priests as badly trained and catechized as he are also likewise retired or retiring. May their damage be minimal.

Besides, it's not his fault he's so ignorant, but boy...SOMEONE needs to point out that the part of the Eucharistic prayer he says we "say together" IS, in fact, FOR THE PRIEST ALONE!

I understand the questions he cites in the beginning of the article, but really..those questions should have been answered by someone who knew what they were doing. Which leads me to believe he either never asked those questions and went ahead and "answered" them out of his own personal it's-all-about-me philosophy so rampant at the time, or he asked the questions of someone who didn't know any better, and was referred to others who were just as ignorant...leading to...an ignorant and mislead priesthood.

We know the seminaries were bad for YEARS, so really, he's not at fault. Whoever taught him is at fault, and that actually COULD have been a layperson who learned their theology at Woodstock.

August 16, 2007 7:00 PM  
Anonymous Lisa said...

My gosh! I missed this too. Is this the Fr. Mitchell from St. Leo's in Highland? I will have to forward this to my in-laws...that was their parish for many years until they retired up north. If he's indeed their former pastor, they will not be pleased to read his comments either! Lord have mercy.
L.

August 16, 2007 8:48 PM  
Blogger Ray from MN said...

Good stuff, Adoro! As usual!

August 16, 2007 9:39 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

L: I don't know anything about Fr. Mitchell. Other then he's retired. It says that after the column.

August 17, 2007 6:16 AM  
Blogger swissmiss said...

Lisa:
I think this is the same Father Mitchell that was at St. Leo's.

August 17, 2007 4:02 PM  
Anonymous Grace said...

The Latin to English web translator came up with this translation of the last line of the retired priests column, “Sacrificium my , God , breath crushing cor crushing and humiliatum , God , not dispicies! ”
Surely this is not what he meant to say. Any Latin Scholars out there?

August 17, 2007 6:38 PM  
Blogger Quantitative Metathesis said...

Sacrificium meum, Deus, spiritus contritus, cor contritum et humiliatum, Deus, non dispicies!

"My sacrifice, God, a contrite spirit, a humble and contrite heart, God, you will not spurn!"

A bit of a low blow from the Reverend Father.

August 18, 2007 6:08 PM  
Blogger Melody said...

The quote is from the Miserere; Psalm 51:19: "My sacrifice, O God, is a contrite spirit; a heart contrite and humbled, O God, you will not spurn."

August 18, 2007 8:06 PM  
Blogger Cathy_of_Alex said...

Thanks, QM and Melody! You spared me having to spend time with Lewis & Short!

August 19, 2007 9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page