July 02, 2007

Jazzin' in I.C.

I went to Iowa City for a long weekend and visited a friend. The weather was fantastic. My lodgings were splendid. Cuong Vu Trio had a supernatural set late Saturday afternoon that was, by far, my favorite of the three days of the festival. Even one of my friends, who absolutely detests "adventurous" jazz, was riveted to her lawn chair and bought their latest CD after the set. Mr. Vu is frequently compared to Bitches Brew Miles Davis. I think that comparison is accurate only so far as they are both trumpet players and trailblazers. Mr. Vu has his own sound. It's not a Miles Davis fusion resurrection.

I am notorious for refusing to give just an arbitrary/obligatory standing ovation (really, I'm often the only one still sitting down!). I was on my feet after the set. Not everyone was, but there were quite a few of us. Fusion/avant-garde jazz is not for everyone but, if you dig it, you should check out Cuong Vu Trio!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home

<< # St. Blog's Parish ? >>
Locations of visitors to this page